Claremont Hills Wilderness Trail

Claremont Hills Wilderness Trail is a 4.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Claremont, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 846 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

Parking fee is $5 during the week and $7 on weekends

during the week there is plenty of parking! I enjoyed the shade and greenery too. :)

Parking was horrible but great weather. Rattlers are our

Great trail with just the right amount of shade :)

very pretty and there was a good amount of shade!

Not a real trail, it's a fire road. The canyon is lovely though. I saw fresh bear tracks after it rained once. You don't see too many deer anymore, they stay away now that the trail is so crowded. People are oblivious to the numerous rattlesnakes and gopher snakes basking in the sun. Try not to go on the weekends, you will never find parking. Very little shade after the canyon, I wouldn't recommend after 8 AM from April through October unless you like to sweat a lot and bring electrolytes & 2 L of water per person. But, most people aren't up for that and just turn back.

Great trail.

Nice trail to get a good workout in. Over crowded. The entire trail is well maintained and it’s a walkway and not a nature trail.

Great trail ! This was my first climb on this traiI.... I had to turn around on the 4th of July because the parking lot was full at 7:30am.... However parking wasn’t an issue today (Saturday) when I arrived at 7:00am....... The trail itself at this time of the morning wasn’t too crowded or busy but just enough so that I wasn’t on the trail alone...

Probably one of my favorites. But I will only go on weekdays because it is too busy on the weekends.

relaxing hike. moderate hike.

easy but dont be late

The loop is a very nice hike to do any day of the week. Parking is $5 during the week and Weekends is $7. Hike is Very safe always lots of people. restrooms available around the hike area.

I enjoy this a lot specially when it connects to other trails. I get a full workout with this trail.

The best trail i been to its a good work out and so much kind friendly people u love it ❤️

Probably more of a 4.5 but I really enjoyed this trail. Was able to run on a Thursday morning at 6:30. Parking at that time was no problem. Saw a handful of people along the way but had several long stretches where I was all alone. Thought the views from the top were great. Trail seemed well maintained.

Parking is tough. Drive to the top of Mountain Ave. in the city of Claremont. There is street parking there with a small trail access point that leads to all the same trails above Claremont. These trails are used extensively. The view at the top is ok. This is a blah hike to me.

Great hike.

Great trail. Probably my favorite. Really nice views once you’re getting higher. Very busy trail so I definitely recommend getting there as early as possible because parking fills up really fast.

Great hike/walk. Will get your heart rate up! Was well maintained.....

Great workout! Elevation gains! Beautiful views! So local! I love this loop!

great hike we are not in shape took us 3 hrs just starting to hike so if this is you give yourself time take breaks to take in scenery and enjoy

Beautiful hike.

So, it has been a while since I went on a “heavily trafficked” hike. Been on the not-so-well-travelled paths for some peace and quiet for a few months. This hike starts busy. Parking lot is full and takes a while to find a spot. Ranger checks for displayed parking receipt continuously. Machine takes cash or card ($7 weekends for four hours). The first mile sees all sorts of people, young and old, babies in strollers and kids, a few bikers, and lots of dogs. About a mile in (going counter clock via Cobal Cyn), it gets a bit steeper and the crowd thins. No more baby strollers. From there it is slopped for about another 1.5 miles, then downhill for 2.5 miles. Little shade throughout, especially after 0.5 mile in. You will never be alone on the more inclined part of the trail but not as crowded as when you start. Nice fun hike. Nothing strenuous—so take the family and leave the more challenging hikes for another day.

Overall a nice a hike. The first half was really shady, nice trees. After about the mile point it was a pretty much just sun. There are benches places through the trail if you need a break. I’m in the process of losing weight and not quite as fit as I should have been while doing this hike. It took my group about 3 1/2-4 hours to complete the entire thing. I will say that there are a ton of flies the entire way and it got annoying really quickly but other than that it is a nice hike.

Excellent wide trail with plenty of variety including steady incline, beautiful views, terrain variations, wide areas, rear areas throughout, beautiful landscape, high trafficked, friendly and helpful rangers, and friendly hikers.

Cool spot. Wide, well-marked trail. Populated but not crowded. Nice views. Could easily connect with adjacent trails to go longer if desired. Made for a great Friday evening hike. *Grateful*

The trail is comfortably wide, mostly smooth and compacted. Though with the recent rains there are some spots where runoff has cut into the trail or washed small rock and sand across it. However it is easy enough to navigate around. When you begin the journey you have the choice to go clockwise or counter clockwise. I randomly chose the clockwise direction which I was later told was the more difficult and steep way to go. This was my first time here, actually my first time on any trail so I cant say for sure if thats true. What I can say, is that if you are not in shape or used to hiking just move at a comfortable pace for you and enjoy the scenery. It took me 2 1/2 hours to complete the loop, but I mostly took my time to take pictures, hydrate and take it all in.

I would like an hourly rate parking fee instead of the 4hr flat rate. This usually takes me under an hour to do, scenery is nice, it can get too crowded at times.