Claremont Hills Wilderness Trail

Claremont Hills Wilderness Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Claremont, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

love this trail been coming here for years

A good conditioning hike.

Well maintained trail. Nice switchbacks. Gorgeous views. Great workout.

My best friend and I have hiked this trail twice. We are both decently active but this was my first time hiking since I was a kid so I’d consider myself a beginner. It’s $3 for 4 hours I think. We go counterclockwise which is about 2.5-3 miles uphill at first. It’s a pretty hard trail for beginners. We take a lot of 3 minute breaks on some benches provided and it ends up taking us two hours. We bring a backpack and fill it with 4-5 water bottles because there’s no shade and no water. We’ve gone both times in 90F weather, although the second time we went the clouds covered the sun and made it a lot more enjoyable. Decent views too! This is a good work out if you go counterclockwise. I weigh 130 and she weighs 150 so we burn about 650-750 calories each doing it. Bring sunscreen!

I really liked it is beautiful my dog did good. The people that were there were nice and no creepers

Love this trail as a “go to spot” while seeing our son at school nearby. Wife and I enjoy being able to put in 5 miles with a bit of elevation making it a nice workout. Weekends it is heavily trafficked with runners walkers hikers and mountain bikers but very wide trails and never an issue. Saw four deer at the start of the hike and have seen pretty birds flowers and reptiles (nothing dangerous) along the trails. Enjoy the loop!

Beautiful trail

Love this trail. Decent workout, lots of rest stops, there’s bathrooms along the way for those that need it. Love to see so many dogs out there. I wouldn’t take my kids but that’s cus they are whiny little people. I park at the further parking lot making my walk a little over 5.5 miles. Both times I’ve been there there’s been wildlife. First time there was deer and bears. Today there was a gopher snake... so be careful

It is good if you like incline and nothing to look at. There is no shade and very few things to sit on. It is basically in my mind a fire road that you are walking on with no real adventure.

Great hike, nice incline

Lovely hike with my pup and I. She loved seeing all of the lizards. I went counter-clockwise and felt the incline pretty deep in my calves. It was nice to finish the hike strong since the majority of the incline was in the beginning. Loved the balance of seeing other people on the trail but also feeling alone at times. Will definitely be back but during the week since the weekend must get really busy.

Great workout! definitely bring a water bottle, dog friendly .. hard to find parking though, has become a popular place to hike, happy to see people trying to stay active

great hiking, nice view

Great hike, nice views. I prefer going counter clockwise. You incline for about 3 miles instead of going clockwise where the incline is a shorter period and the rest is downhill. Easy hike though, you can finish in an hour or less if you keep a good pace

Love this trail and the views are gorgeous!!!

nice work out with first half of trail uphill and second half all downhill prefer going clockwise as it's a less steeper and more gradual climb, there's a nice stop at the top with shade and benches then when you're down, a nice canopy of shade trees to finish your hike, prefer to go places where there's free parking, but it's only 3 dollars week day so that's not too bad.

Great hike. Nicely marked trails and mile markers. Beautiful view. Only negative is parking.

Great hike. You have 2 options. To the right you have steep incline for about 3mi, then gradual down. The left is opposite.

Easy - wide open trail. Very dog friendly. there are plenty of stops with shade from overhanging trees.

Be on the lookout for rattlesnakes - they are out and about, even in the winter. I saw one slither away, while letting my pup roam for a place to use the restroom.

Great trail! But closed due to red flag until 1/30/18

LOVE IT!!!

Great hike went a different route and loved it I know I will be sore tomorrow lol

I took the trail to the right, Corbal Canyon Trail, and I enjoyed the steady incline and mostly full sun leading to a solid workout and enjoyable hike!

Loved the trail it was perfect for me being a first timer! I disliked the crazy parking on Sunday but definitely worth it

Love the view

Beautiful views easy hike, moderate for kids

My husband and I recently moved to Claremont and were very surprised (and glad) that we would have parking access to this trail as residents. Note, for non residents you have to pay a parking fee. The parking fee is more expensive on the weekends than it is on the weekdays.

When we first went to this trail for the first two times, we ended up only doing 1 mile and 1.5 miles (and back) respectively. This was my husband's first time hiking, and I haven't gone hiking in a while and so we decided to take it easy. The third consecutive visit however, we finally completed the full trail! As many have mentioned, there are two routes to the main trail. Clockwise would be the Burbank Trail and counter-clockwise would be the Cobal Canyon Trail. On all occasions we went counter-clockwise, through the Cobal Canyon Trail.

The first two miles are probably going to be the most difficult with plenty of elevation gain. For beginners or inexperienced hikers, the elevation gain may come a little too fast in a short distance, so be prepared! The whole trail has plenty of sun, so I suggest bringing a cap or some sunglasses if you're sensitive. You are rewarded with a beautiful view at the peak - several of them, actually, and about 2.5 miles in, you can see a beautiful zigzag trail ahead. I think as soon as you reach halfway, regardless of which trail you choose, the second half of the hike should be much easier to complete because you'll now be descending back to the bottom of the trail.

The whole hike took us 2 hours to finish at a relaxed pace. About two miles in, there are several forks off of the main road that you can explore further, such as Potato Mountain. These will be great options to explore on our next visit to the trail. You will see plenty of babies on their parents' backs, strollers, and fur friends - the trail is very family and pet friendly, much like the city it is located in!

Sometimes a little crowded but a good jaunt

Good cardio but too crowded sometimes

great place run take some deep breaths enjoy the view and relieved stress.