City View and Walnut Forest Trails

City View and Walnut Forest Trails is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from October until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 639 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

The loop marked on this trail has a section that is extremely sketch. Goes down a rocky cliff side to the bottom. However, if you stay on the dirt road instead heading straight down, you will reconnect to the main path. Also drop into the Audubon center. They have a good map of the trail.

Excellent view and the pond is very relaxing, great area for dogs.

Did the hike around 7:30-9:00 pm, easy trail but rewarding with beautiful downtown LA view

Great for running up and down hill. wide trails that are great for groups/families to walk and talk. A bit boring and not clearly marked, but again, great for exercise.

Not sure what happened but it ended up being 3.5 miles. The lake was nice.

we did this Trail up to Deb pond and it was a nice hike except there's too much Fire Road and some of it is as hard as asphalt and we came back two different ways and both of them were hardpan trails. we did three different switchbacks to make the hike a little longer but overall if you're going to do this hike just go straight to Debs Pond and straight back then I can recommend it because the pine trees & the lake and the fish and the turtles and the little waterfall are worth the trip

good hike!

Great if you need to fit in a "quick" hike with elevation variations. The lake/pond is beautiful; today the are was full of turtles.

Would do this hike again for sure! The first half is a little boring if you’re going clockwise but it has a pretty good incline for about a mile. Once you get to the little pond and afterwards you get great views of DTLA and the mountains. After 4pm you have to park on the road next to the park entrance but really no biggie! Would definitely recommend this hike if you’re looking for an easier, less trafficked trail with great views.

These trails were easy would definitely recommend dog friendly and beautiful in spring

This is a quality short hike. I didn't give it a 5 star because there aren't many clear markers. There isn't much shade along the hike. However, the pond has lots of shade and is a nice place to stop and rest.

We loved it! I picked this place to bring my 6 year old son for his first hiking trip and we both loved it. Will definitely will come again.

We arrived at 3:15 to hike with our dogs and were bummed to learn the gates to the parking lot close at 4 pm. We weren’t sure if street parking was safe so no hiking for us. Doesn’t appear to be much shade during this time of day.

great views and good inclines! I hike this daily for exercise and love it every time. it’s light/moderately trafficked on weekday mornings but not enough to be a bother

Great hike I do often. I do the full loop from the main park to the Bird Sanctuary and back. That makes it four and half miles with some good hills. There are shorter routes and you can enter Hermon park and the Arroyo Secco as well.

Lovely walk overlooking the city. Can’t really say anything bad. Just didn’t give 5 stars cos it’s not mind blowing

Nice work out, not too many people

The lake is a pleasant area once you get to the top. For the nature of the hike, it was fairly good but there is a lot of litter along the way. The views of Downtown LA is the best part of the hike, I went at sunset which left me overall pleased with this hike.

Not very populated on Black Friday! Our first hike as a family with our 3m old. Great hike for families and we saw a few dogs too!

One of my favorite hikes because of the little pond and trees to climb. The smell of the different types of flowers and plants are beautiful, great place to get away. At the other side of the trail there’s a park and we ended up stumbling upon a Community Healing meetup.

Sunday, September 02, 2018

Great hike, I go every morning during the week since I leave nearby. It’s a great workout and there are many friendly faces around!

Monday, August 06, 2018

I really enjoyed this hike

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Fear none but the man above. Death is on every square inch of the earth and the feeling u get in d dark we all get it. Everyone please enjoy this trail .. I along with my son and his friend did the evening hike and enjoyed it. The pond will make you forget how close you are to the city and the trails could loop 4ever back to the pond..

Friday, July 20, 2018

It was me and my gfs first time doing this trail and it was after sunset. We were going up and it started getting dark. I brought my head lamp so no biggie. We started hearing strange noises just thinking it was just a little wildlife no big deal. We noticed nobody around anymore. It was really dark at this point about 9:00 PM. Then we decided to head back after a couple miles. We both started feeling very strange. A very weird vibe came over us as if something bad was going on around us. We’re runners, so we started to high tail it out of there. The strange vibes were getting stronger. A very disturbing and sick feeling. So we finally get back to the car and talked about how we won’t be coming back there at least at night again. Later on when we get home, I randomly decided to research the park and sure enough I found something horrifying. 2 years ago 2 young girls were found shot and brutally bludgeoned to death by gang members just a few hundred yards within the entrance of the park. Such a tragedy. We now know what that feeling was. So we most likely won’t be returning. There’s plenty of other options out there. I warn anyone going there to carry some sort of protection especially if you’re a night hiker/runner like us.

Monday, July 02, 2018

Great hike and once at the top you get the enjoy the pond with a view of all Los Angeles.

Sunday, July 01, 2018

Very fun hike if you are in the area. It's quite popular, and the people are very friendly and social -- you will make new friends here! The main trails are wide dirt tracks, very easy to follow, but there are also a number of single tracks crisscrossing the park if you want to be more adventurous. The pond at the top of the hill is a fun little surprise, and a shady spot to rest while you take in the views of the cit y.