City View and Walnut Forest Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(421)
Ernest E Debs Regional Park

City View and Walnut Forest Trail is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Dodgertown, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is best used from October until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 639 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

One of my favorites but it’s been closed the past month. Like gates closed can’t drive up to park.... not sure how y’all going I literally tried again yesterday

So beautiful!

As of May 9, 2020, the entrance gate off of Griffin Ave/Ave 52 is still closed, despite LA City announcing parks & trails open. The walk-in approach from the stairs and walkway at the corner of Terrill Ave. and Bushnell Way is highly overgrown, we decided not to risk it. Your best bet is to walk in at the closed gate at Dale Park Rd. and Monterey Rd.

Perfect hike. Beautiful views. Moderate to hard if you aren’t used to hiking.

recorded City View and Walnut Forest Trail

Great lil. You hike. The pond is super nice. This trail maps out a SUPER steep downhill at the end that I found fun but probably worth just going the long way around if you’re with less sure footed people!

Easy and lovely little hike, more like a hilly park. Saw little kids, pregnant women and couples having picnics or waiting for the sunset. Trails aren't marked at all so it's hard to follow a specific one, but that works here. A nice and easy step into nature from the city - you won't be alone but it's not jammed with too many or obnoxious people. A lovely, short afternoon.

Great trail! We found parking on S Avenue 52 and entered the park from there. The gate by the Aubudon Center was closed, which gave us the impression at first the park itself was closed. On the map you can enter the park off Monterey Rd, too, which was on the other side of the park for us. There were several trails or walking paths around us and we weren’t sure at first which way to go. We may have taken the incline first, as there were more people coming our way than following. As many have said, there is a cool little pond at the top. There are some trails that lead you into residences and we avoided them. We didn’t want to end up in someone’s “yard.” I found the hike to be fairly easy. It was steep at times. There is shade by the pond once you get up there, which was nice. I recommend this hike if you want something fairly easy to kill a couple of hours and get away from most people. We went on MLK Day, and it wasn’t as trafficked as other parks I’ve been to. I’d also add that this park is much closer to Montecito Heights and Highland Park than Dodgertown, if that helps with location.

This is a great short hike. It is a perfect place to walk your dog. The pond at the top is small and a little swampy but very cool never the less. I do recommend this hike. Parking can be challenging if there a soccer matches at the neighboring park.

Not sure why this was marked as EASY because there are parts that were pretty difficult, and I am in pretty good shape. Great hike, though! Lots of foliage and mostly quiet except for the highway noise in the background.

what a lovely surprise to find this so near to where we live! a lovely easy hike with reasonable elevation at the start but amazing views from the top - right down to Long Beach , west to towards the Simi Valley and over to Santa Monica. Not hard at all - paved. There's a lovely small pond with shaded area and a nice picnic area (with only one table!) at the top . as with most American hikes there are no toilet facilities

Fairly easy, I go with my son (5yr) and have seen plenty of leashed dogs around. Very popular, plenty of people around.

Great quick hike with views of the city.

I got lost a couple of times, first trying to find the entrance, a couple times following the trail, and finding my way back out. It’s a really big place. You run into people quite often, which I like cuz’ I don’t like being in a deserted area.

Nice nature walk that has some good incline that would be perfect for trail running. I went clockwise. Some nice views of downtown on the back end. I was going to rate it 2 stars but that cool little lake at the top earns it an extra star. The path gets super difficult at the end. Take the dirt path that leads you back to the trail you came in on to avoid it.

flooded

End of trail is a sham, should be labeled HARD. At the end it’s suggest a route that is very difficult. So beware you will have to backtrack to finish if you don’t choose to do the difficult part

We parked on the street outside the gate. The first climb out from the trailhead was very steep on a crumbly, dusty single track. Any worse, and she would have made us give up. But we made it to the top, and the trails widened into fire roads passing a small fishing pond and some sports fields. The track wound back up the hill and around the park. Good views of LA and the surrounding neigborhoods. Many other people and dogs on the trails, but not crowded. Overall, a nice hike.

I would recommend it for family and dog walking, even with heavy traffic you still have your own space. I did not see any sketchy people which was great. I will be coming back for sure !