For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Chutes and Roadrunner Loop is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Orange, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 3.1 mi Elevation gain 400 ft Route type Loop

Wild flowers

Wildlife

Description
Waypoints (0)

This loop closes periodically due to wet conditions and flooding. As of June 2020, users report that half of the roadrunner loop is closed so this trail can only be done as an out and back.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (129)
Photos (203)
Recordings (169)
Completed (274)
Maria Rodriguez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 6, 2020
Hiking

It was awesome, hardly any shade make sure to bring water, I did it at 1pm and it was ok I have a high tolerance in heat. Did almost 5 miles cuz I went around Santiago and took Goat mountain trail.

View Maria's Recording
Lauren Hughes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 18, 2020
HikingClosedFeeRocky

Note: Half of the Road Runner Loop is currently closed so I went out and back on this trail The beginning of this trail is pretty flat, nice surroundings, but getting to the base of the steeper incline, I remembered that the Chutes trail that this takes you on is really meant for fast, downhill mountain biking and isn’t great for hikers at all. IMO, Chutes should really be reserved for bikers only as there’s no space for you to walk without being in the direct path of a bike, possibly speeding uncontrollably downhill. I also had my dog with me (as I usually do) and I would definitely not recommend bringing your dog either. Most of the time I was too anxious looking behind or up ahead around the steep bends in case I needed to pull her and myself out of the way which really made the hike more stressful than it was worth. I’ve done the opposite side of this mountain before (going uphill) with my dog and it’s much easier and not as many bikes, but either way, I imagine it’s just as stressful for bikers trying to keep tabs on hikers. Fantastic views at the top but we were about a half mile short of the official turning point and my dog was like WTF get me outta here this hike sucks, so we turned back a little early. TLDR: Half of the trail is closed, would not recommend for hikers or dogs, awesome trail for bikes with great views.

View Lauren's Recording
Jose Luis Sanchez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 13, 2020
Mountain bikingRocky
View Jose Luis 's Recording
Michele Gonsalves
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 2, 2020
HikingClosedNo shade

Dog friendly but watch for bikes. Not many people on trail today. Not scenic or difficult. Decent walk.

View Michele's Recording
Christine Tierney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 31, 2020
HikingBugs
View Christine's Recording
Alexandra Edwards
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 19, 2020

Beautiful trail

View Alexandra's Recording
Waylon Deno
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 17, 2020
Mountain bikingMuddy

I parked in the Albertson's lot. Rode in the main trailhead gate and went up Santiago Creek Trail. I forgot to record until I got to the top of the hill by the old dam. Then I went down the trail that runs alongside Santiago Creek Trail to the east. Unsure of the name. I do wish the trail signage was better. That's my only complaint. There was a little mud on these two trails still from last weekend's rain but nothing bad. From there I went left further down the main entrance trail, left on the asphalt that goes through the tilt up gates. Signs say Outdoor Education Center. Left back onto dirt right before the main metal gate for that. There's a sign for Roadrunner loop. I went right. I kept following the main trail right. I saw a closed gate for a nature preserve and went left then right again. That brought me to the main staging area for Chutes and Ridgeline. There's a map station and trashcan there. There's a sign for Chutes straight through from where I came. It went to the right and through the wash. From there I followed the main trail. Wasn't long before I got to the fork. Left for Chutes and right for Ridgeline. The sensible thing to do here is go up Chutes and down Ridgeline which is what I did. Some people were coming down Chutes which is ok as long as you're heads up and courteous. I was using a trail bell for caution. Chutes and Ridgeline will cross over each other. Be mindful of cross traffic going both up and down. At the top of Chutes you can go right for extra credit where you'll turn around and come back down or go left to start Ridgeline. I went left to a lookout that's right before the real drop in for Ridgeline. Good place for a break and enjoy the view. Going down Ridgeline is not too crazy but there are some aggressively downhill parts. I'm not a crazy downhill guy but I enjoyed it and went slow, continuously looking ahead and making careful line choices. Gotta keep your momentum up to get over the drops safely. The bottom part of Ridgeline is all flowy berms and rollers, optional jumps if you're fast. After Ridgeline I followed the bottom of Chutes back through the wash and to the same staging area. I went right, rode the famous log and kept following those trails to the right until I got back to the main entrance trail which I think is a continuation of Santiago Creek Trail. Again, more signage would be helpful. Before that there was a trail to the right closed for bird nesting season. I rode the main trail out and headed back to my car. Overall a great ride and park. It's VERY appreciated that Orange County has kept these trails open during Covid-19. The parking and facilities are closed but the common grass areas and trails are open. Stay safe all and have fun.

View Waylon's Recording
Kristin Nitz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2019
HikingNo shade

Very little shade! Wait till fall and winter especially if you bring a dog.

HikingNo shade

Whew! That was a very hot hike. although I really enjoy the hike extremely, it's definitely one not to bring the dog on. There's a lot of sand which is very hot on their poor little paws. Ran into a couple rattlesnakes, but picked up the dog to make sure she didn't run after it!

View Kristin's Recording
Micah Hebert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 15, 2019
Kristin Nitz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 28, 2019
HikingNo shadeOff trailOver grown

This was a very fun trail. It was extremely over grown, but fun. Beware there are lots of bikers so keep an eye open for them. I think I would definitely do this trail again but probably not In The heat of Summer. there's not a lot of shade, as a matter of fact there wasn't any except towards the end of the trail there was a couple trees. We didn't travel the full story Miles because we got started kind of late, but it was still a great trail.

View Kristin's Recording
Kristina Newcomb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 26, 2019
Hiking

Easy trail I walk my old pup often. I usually go after work around 6pm and its usually not crowded during the week ( I don't usually go on weekends due to crowds). This trail loops into other trails so you can do a longer more strenuous hike if you like but I would recommend downloading the map if you do start getting into the other trails as it can get a bit confusing

Angel Vasquez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 13, 2019

trails are closed

Bonnie Frisch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 28, 2018
Hiking

The upper part of this trail as shown on the map is called the Chutes trail, which is a mountain bike course, bumpy, steep, and sandy, definitely not "easy". The first part is a path defined by fencing, nothing too exciting but a nice easy walk.

Rob Martin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 16, 2018
Hiking

Nice hike and nice view at the top. Very nice ride on a mountain bike.

Jeffrey Shapiro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 11, 2018

Superb demanding trail.

Meranda T.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 17, 2017

12/16/17: This is the only trail open at present and the loop is partially closed due to recent fires. Only went a tenth of a mile and turned back to walk the rest of the park. I spoke with maintenance workers who stated that the fire burned underground, so it will be some time until trails are reopened. I was also told that the trail, right now, is just a straight chute to the Santiago Oaks Trail then turn back. Not suitable for WC or stroller, but nut difficult. A few people on mountain bikes.

Arthur Herrera
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 13, 2016
Fishing

I pretty

Kelley G.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2013
Mountain biking
First to Review

Great beginner trail to learn on. Had tons of fun on my first mountain bike trail! Not too crowded at 9am on a Sunday morning. Other hikers and bikers were very friendly.

Charline M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
Walking
View Charline's Recording
Karyn Snyder
View Karyn's Recording
Candance Chapman
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
View Candance's Recording
Ana Cruz
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 3, 2020
View Ana's Recording
Lien Ma
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
View Lien's Recording
Evan Estrada
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
View Evan's Recording