Chorro Grande Trail is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ojai, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,116 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Ojai: Take Highway 33 north 25.6 miles to Chorro Grande Trail sign.

Beauty trail! The end with the mature Oaks is so marvelous. I too saw a Rattlesnake on the trail, about 15 minutes in from the road. Very cool, but she was coiled right off the path. Heads up, ears open! So beautiful, the rock formations and high valley meadow.

There is a rattlesnake nesting just a foot or so off the trail. In the map I uploaded today, the spot roughly Center is where she is. The area is thick with manzanita, so it’s difficult to get past her safely.

Only made it about halfway up the trail for a day hike. Great views of sandstone rock formations and nature. The “Chorros” or water filled bowls in the creek are interesting to see and there is evidence of native Americans here like non fossilized shells from the ocean. The first campground is a great place for a rest stop next to the creek with large shady oak trees, a log bench, and fire pit. Further up there are limestone cliffs with some compressed shell fossils. Great hike and workout. Will try to come back and complete the whole trail one day.

Absolutely beautiful hike, little to no shade, but with that in mind there are still a few spots to sit under shade through out in which is almost perfectly placed by nature. Bring lots of water and a strong mind to finish the hike as it’s truly worth the challenge.

Great trail, beautiful views. We only went about 2 miles because we had our two young kids, but they loved the challenge and we liked the variety of terrain.

Happy I went in spring- this trail would be too hot in summer with little to no shade through most of it. A few nice oaks along the way provide spaces to stop and rest and get out of the sun a bit. My first time up here since before the fire- strange to walk past all the tree skeletons. About a mile in there is an outcropping of rocks to the right maybe 50m downhill -after the rains I was charmed to see a waterfall jetting off over the edge into the basin below. Trail is well marked and clear- until I completely lost it in the bit of snow left about .5 miles from the end. Lots of lizards, quail, a few foxes and many jays along the way.

This was my first time on this trail. I hiked only to Pine Mountain Road. My GPS clocked it at 5 miles in, so 10 miles out and back. This trail was very easy to follow although at one spot it required climbing along a large downed tree. There were small patches of snow but nothing treacherous.

I've taken this trail all the way to Reyes Peak, but this was just a partial completion for today. The trail is in better condition than the last time I did it several months ago. Beautiful views, rock structures, several flowing creeks. on IG @picbynathan

2 feet of snow on trail - stopped at first camp area. Good hike - just more difficult with snow. Snowshoes would have made it easier :)

I loved this trail. It was a good mix of terrain and incline at a decent mileage. You start by cresting the hills before walking upstream in a river bottom. This part is a bit overgrown but still easy to follow. Then you move back to climbing chaparral laden hills, which tended to be a bit rocky where the rain created waterlets into the trail. Eventually you get to a pine environment, and that's where those pesky bugs come full force. You finally land at an OHV road at the ridge. The views aren't as great right there but it's a nice spot to climb a rock and eat your lunch.

Great hike, we enjoyed the last portion with the forest of pines. It is not so hard when you are well trained.

Wed Mar 20 2019

This trail is awesome. I hiked it last weekend with two others and it was fantastic. Lots of water in all of the little creeks. Beautiful weather during the day and snow on the upper reaches of the trail made it interesting. A summary of my entire review is at the end of you are a fan of concise information. We began the trail in the morning and hiked through scrubby areas mixed with some riparian plants in the lower lying areas, beware this area is somewhat muddy with decent amounts of rain. After 45 minutes of hiking, we reached Oak Campground that is shaded by a beautiful oak grove and is situated next to a gushing creek. A great place to stop off and rest. The section after the first campground is where the difficulty increases. There is a false trail here for us so be sure you are on the right path, but here the trail splits from the creek. The trail at the beginning of the switch back section was somewhat eroded. This area is covered in buckbrush and chamise bushes and is where the views really start to get good. Be sure to turn around as you’re ascending, take a breather and enjoy the views. The first pine trees show up half way up the trail and less of the typical chaparral species are there, some yucca and manzanita begin to mix in here. As you ascend, the valley closes in on each side while you come into a gully, where we saw our first patch of snow in a shaded area. We walked a bit further and came across the Chorro Campsite ( which is somewhat cryptic, being unlabeled). Here there is more pine and oak trees and more snow along the trail, and then as the trail flattens you would assume you would come across a water source as noted on the Los Padres National Forest map I was using. But we were told earlier that the Chorro Grande Spring has permanently dried up. It is a bit more of a hike but the person that told us this spring was dry had told us that there is a spring at the raspberry campsite across the ridge that has water flowing. Other options would be to melt snow or get water earlier on the trail. I mentioned the cryptic nature of the Chorro camp site. We missed it on the ascent so we stopped had a snack and decided to press on to the pine mountain ridge road and Reyes campsite. At the top, it is entirely conifers and large boulders interspersed along the ridge. Sweeping views of the Channel Islands and a hiker told us that the proper place on the ridge, you can see as far as Bakersfield to the north. You can summit both Pine Mountain and Reyes peak from here, although we were tired and decided to set up camp. We ate our reconstituted backpacking food while watching the sunset over the beautiful valley we had just hiked, which made the food taste all that much better. It was a bit cool and windy at night, but I was fine in my 30*F bag. Pretty Stars, and the moon lit up the landscape in an awesome way. The next day we packed up and headed out and made it back to the truck in three hours or so, a full hour less that our ascent. SUMMARY: -This trail is fun -properly rated as hard, it only gets harder as you ascend but it’s doable -Lots of different plants and great views -The spring at the top is dry so have a different plan for water - Jon M. IS a spoiled child

Mon Nov 19 2018

Some nice views along the way but after doing so many hikes in Sequoia NP, King's Canyon, Tahoe, Big Bear and Mammoth, I was left wanting more from this hike. Yes, I know I sound like a spoiled child :) It's a good workout though. I kept thinking "this is such an easy hike. why is it rated hard?" Then we hit the ascent :) The ascent takes some time just to get to so it's easy to be lulled into thinking it's an easy hike. The ascent isn't unbearable or all that grueling but once you start climbing up and up and up and up, you begin to understand why it's rated as hard. We were disappointed at the end of the trail when it simply ended and hit a paved road. We were hoping for a majestic lookout. A reward for our efforts to get to the top. If that's what you are looking for, you're going to have to continue the hike out to Reyes Peak. Also, be aware that while AllTrails lists the hike as 7.1 miles, it's significantly longer than that. We clocked it at over 10 miles. This is a nice trail for a good workout and some pretty views along the way. We only saw one other person on the trail. Bring a lot of water. There was zero water on the trail.

Fri Nov 16 2018

Beautiful 5.5 hour round-trip hike through four different ecosystem levels. First section goes through big rock formations -- several false trails though, which I mistakenly followed on the way up and the way down. Next, level section goes thru lovely treed meadows with red and blue and silver shrubs and passes the first shaded campground. Third section begins the main climb thru bright red manzanitas and small boulders and pine trees, and you start to see the amazing view open up all the way to the coast. The final section is the steepest part and passes thru huge old pine trees and boulders and becomes much cooler than the lower sections (bring layers) -- also passes by Chorro Springs campground but zero water running. The Channel Islands now come into view on the far horizon -- wow! Had enough daylight to check out the Reyes campground off the road at the top -- great views and the one-lane paved road seemed surprisingly well maintained. What I appreciated about the trail is how you can see the ridge you're hiking to from the start -- no false summits -- and that the trail was well trodden and easy to follow except at the rock formations at the bottom. Came across poopy toilet paper strewn around the trail near the bottom and packed it out. Come on folks. Birds and lizards abound and lots of scat on the trail but no other wildlife sightings. Logged 13.8 miles and 280 stories. 3 liters of water was just right with temps in the low 70s.

Tue Apr 24 2018

l would recommend to go all the way to reyes peak for the amazing view.Take enough water and go very early in the morning it may take you almost a whole day round trip. It gets hard at times because of the uphill, but it is very walkable don't get discouraged. battery on my phone died very quickly up there.But it was worth it.

Mon Apr 23 2018

Beautiful especially when you get into the big trees with interspersed boulders. Hike is about 10 miles round trip when you go all the way to Pine Mountain Ridge road.

Fri Jan 05 2018

This was a beautiful, yet challenging hike. Really great views and I didn’t see another soul on the trail. Be warned, however, this hike is closer to 10 miles out and back, which I verified on another website and my own tracking device.

Sun Nov 26 2017

Amazing landscape and good condition!

Sat Nov 04 2017

Beautiful views!

Sun Oct 08 2017

Always a great hike challenging because of distance and elevation gain but such a great trail

Wed May 17 2017

Great hike.

Tue Jan 03 2017

Incredible hike! About 10 miles round trip to go up to the ridge and back. You go thru several different types of ecosystems. The last mile had about 3 inches of snow on the trail. Nothing too bad but it made for a very fun hike. If you go in the winter, take warm clothes.

Mon Dec 19 2016

Kick butt trail as I hadn't hiked in several weeks. 10 mi R/T to ridge road. Beautiful though had rained a few days ago so as the temp rose, got muddy in spots. Quiet up top - went with my beautiful wife.

Mon Apr 11 2016

I have Submitted a detailed new trail using this trail head going to Pine Mt. should be up soon New Information. there was a fire recently the Trail is open and well marked by a group. the last part of this trail with the hook has been taken away, if you use your GPS its eay to find but they made it very clear NOT to use it....my guess is the rocks and all after the fire its quite dangerous. go 1.7 miles in tere isa spring and a campground under Huge majestic oak canopy that is a great picnic, resting area with a running spring. Hiking in the recent burn is quite exciting watching the renewal is fascinating. but it only the 1st part of the hike then its like someone hit a switch, again quite fascinating Photso tracks and more in other trail info.

Sun Jul 05 2015

This one's a buttkicker when your backpacking in from the 33. Beautiful views and quiet nooks near the top to spend the night. Make sure you bring your own water in the summer!

Wed Feb 05 2014

I've hiked this trail two times, the most recent being 2/2/14. We had a lot of snow on the most recent trip, but on a clear day the views are stunning, and you can see the Channel Islands. Both times we hiked up from 33, which Is strenuous but makes you feel like a boss when you're done. I'd like to camp at the second campground which has a year round natural spring, with delicious water flowing from it.

Fri Apr 12 2013

Trail in good condition at this time. Very little water in the area so pack your own in this year.