Chollas Lake Park is a 2.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 157 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

As of September 2019, there may be some closed trails due to construction. The park opens at 6:30am and closes at sunset (5:30pm or later depending on time of year). Dogs are allowed. Parking is free. There are three different lots along this site, and some street parking. The lots tend to get crowded.

I really enjoyed it. I stayed close to the lake due to loving the scenery. I enjoy being in family oriented places so this was enjoyable seeing families together. Nice for a beginner getting into fitness. Not that rocky. I still busted a little sweat.

On the way back the gate to the lake was locked had to improvise a trail down to the other side to get through the gate and hike back up to the lake

I have been accessing Chollas Lake for 40 years with my kids, grandkids and now just myself to walk and enjoy the lake. I am so happy that it is open again but am very concerned with the public that has been accessing the park. The mask rule is not being followed. I wear my mask to protect YOU....The mask that you wear protect Me. I am 70 years old and should be able to get out, get some exercise and fresh air. The last 4 days the gate on Chollas PKWY is open but there is not one ranger or staff to monitor. The City waterworks trucks were there yesterday for at least 2 hours with two trucks 5 staff and only one City worker wearing a mask. Please, please, please, monitor and follow the rules. If you don't agree that you need to wear a mask I understand but don't access areas that require masks. Budget cuts aside if the park is open there needs to be someone there to monitor activity. People were playing basketball, some families had taken off the caution tape and were letting their kids play on the equipment.

Nice easy trail for walking or running. Good for kids as well as dogs, the main trail is a little under a mile long but they have other trails passage ways to add a little distance. Wildlife around all in all a decent hike. Beware sometimes the geese will attack.

I was running alone, but it's a great place to bring a dog and take a walk. there are a lot of cute ducks, too.

Dog owners beware!!! The second half of the park was littered with pieces of cactus, and as soon as we realized there was already some stuck deep into my dog’s foot, she was in a lot of pain. Otherwise, the trail is overall decent.

Nice easy 2.3 ish walk with a bit of incline. Great if you are in need of a quick workout! Dog friendly <3

Very pretty. Easy for the kids, you can definitely make it a day visit if you are into fishing too. a few hidden trails that were fun to explore.

The area surrounding the lake was shady and pleasant.

This is a nice trail to do early, but be mindful the parking lot gates lock at 5:00 pm and the gate leading to half way closes and locks at 3:45 pm.

Wouldn’t call this a hike—more of a nature walk setting. Still very nice walk, a little crowded but great for dogs. You can just loop around the lake or walk other dirt trails and wide dirt paths to extended areas beyond the lake and loop back. There are recycling bins and dog poop bags all along the lake as well.

Could be cleaned up a bit more... Nice little hike though for the location.

Nice family style type hike, but the trail is poorly marked. Lots of construction around at this time too. Probably best for joggers or something.

Great beginners biking trail. I went off roading in the back with the huge hills which was fun.

Easy walk, and the trails on the north side were neat

There was literally a sign that said may 2019 dead body found here. Ghetto as hell

closed

Beautiful, shady trail with very nice people walking it!

closed

Not a bad course if you're looking for a quick workout. Plenty of people any time and any day of the week for safety in numbers. Construction further down the lake closed off a few trails including the one AT shows here. Vere off to the right to walk the mesa and get a nice view. Biggest negative was that the lake smelled something putrid which kind of ruined the experience. Other than that, it's still good for a quick run.

bridge out

ohv/off road driving

RC Fun

Sat May 04 2019

Fri Apr 19 2019

We live pretty close by, we bring our dogs here, we occasionally picnic, I mountain bike here. There are new playgrounds for those of you who have kiddos. Seemingly endless combinations of trails and grades (or flat if you want). Fishing is also an option (I haven't, and don't know the requirements). Also a great spot to just come and relax.

Tue Apr 09 2019

It has very nice lake views, there are tons of geese sometimes they can be very noisy. The trail itself is very easy, there are additional paths for a steep pace. I enjoy everytime I go there.