China Cove Trail Loop

China Cove Trail Loop is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Truckee, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 78 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

partially paved

This easy stroll around the lakeside and through areas of forest is an ideal place to bring young kids, and also makes a great location for your first snowshoe adventure.

41 minutes ago

The history drew me here. The museum was extremely light on info. What was there was good but wanted more. The trail was extremely crowded and loud. The highway noise was also constant. These issues took away from the natural beauty of the place

easy and beautiful hike along the lake! lots of places to sit and stop and take in the views.

Beautiful and peaceful hike along the lake on the morning of 7/6/19. Trail is hard to follow at times, but terrain is flat and easy and finding the trail again was pretty easy. Lots of dogs running around. There is currently a LOT of stagnant water, so lots of mosquitos!

More of a walk than a hike, but quite pleasant. If you do the loop as marked here, you’re on a mixture of gravel trails, paved campground roads, and a few sections of game trail that would be difficult to distinguish without the app. Flat surfaces, good for families. I would recommend wandering the interpretive trail that skirts the lake itself - I thought that was the prettiest section. :)

Still at least 3 ft of snow in mid April which makes it hard going. Still a beautiful hike. Also a cool extra is that you can walk on the edge of the lake while it’s still frozen.

Flat and easy to walk. We snowshoed around the lake. Beautiful views, but you can still hear the roar of the freeway. Dog friendly and clean.

Clearly marked trail next to the lake! Most part of the trail was paved, and there’s a nearby trail that’s accessible to wheelchairs too.

Flat, easy trail. spent time playing on open beach, trail pretty well marked. lots of trees, mainly shaded which was cold on day like today. kids and dog never complained. I'd do it again!

Liked this hike, good distance, lots to see. Didn’t enjoy the part of the walk that was on pavement.

We walked this trail in mid Sept so we almost had the trail to ourselves. It’s definitely a glorified “park” trail, but it was still very nice. Mostly wooded with a few open spots and all flat. There are restrooms and benches along the entire trail. I’m sure if we had walked this during the crowded months, it would have a different feel. Good for walking your dog and getting some exercise but if your looking to do a mountain trail hike, this isn’t it :)

Monday, July 09, 2018

Easy short hike. Was a bit confused as to where the hike started so we had to walk up a road for a good while until we found the trailhead. Once we got out to see the lake it was worth it. Saw very few people on the hike which was nice but a lot of people on the beach, but it was Saturday so I didn’t really expect any different. Very pretty views of the lake and creeks nearby.

Saturday, May 26, 2018

This trail is my favorite to date! Easy. Nice path. Beautiful water and trees. There is a well maintained picnic area and restrooms. I took some amazing pictures!!!

Monday, May 21, 2018

Definitely a super easy stroll. Beautiful scenery

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Nice view of the Donner lake and the mountains... still with some snow caps but perfect weather for a walk.

Sunday, January 07, 2018

Easy and pleasant walking trail with some beautiful lake and mountain views. There isn’t much change in elevation, but it’s still a good walking/running trail with ample space to explore along the beach.

Thursday, October 26, 2017

I wasn't impressed. Not a nature hike but a stroll around the campground. You start off by the lake on a made trail but only 20min in then you turn in and get lost through the campground taking the road most of the way back cutting through the camp sites . I guess this is good for a tourist walk.

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Fun, scenic trail. fun to do!

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Indeed, an easy stroll.

Tuesday, October 03, 2017

nice walk with kids and the dog. we veered off into the beach area and enjoyed the sunshine. great on nice days, didn't need to do the loop - just enjoyed the out and back along the Lakeshore.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Beautiful scenery. Would have logged my trek, however it would have appeared I was chasing a chipmunk. Since Trails were not marked. So I wandered for a bit and then found a good route. Great Lake views 90% of the time. So it's a good place to get lost and enjoy the outdoors

Friday, September 15, 2017

Just under two hours, leisurely hike

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Fun/easy trail to walk. Great for kids.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Not a bad hike, through campground area and paved road. Beautiful lake view.

Friday, August 26, 2016

Great small hike. It is marked with pink ribbons through the trail; however we got a little confused when we hit the road and had to walk back on the campground access road.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Nice trail very easy walk, had a small problem locating start of trail not marked very well. Once we located trail it was very enjoyable walk combination of State Campground thru the forest then along Donner Lake shore.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

it is nice that is a dog friendly place, but the owner does not respect the park rules, i was swimming with my small children, and next to us was another family with small children like us, here came a big dog jump in the water to do POOP almost next to us, and this dog had diarrhea. The owner did not called out or did nothing. It was very disgusting experience. The other family and i leave the place. i am taking my kid to the doctor to be sure they did not got any parasites.

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Perfect small hike with beautiful lake scenery. Lots of parking areas, shade, sun, picnic tables everywhere. $8 entrance fee and its not crowded. Great hike for dogs & kids. This place is a favorite.