Cyber Monday Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Chimney Rock Trail

Chimney Rock Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Inverness, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 269 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Walk from the elephant Seal overlook past the historic Lifeboat Station to Chimney Rock. A must see while you are visiting Point Reyes.

Wanted an easy trail with great views and that’s what I got! Went down on the side trails and got even better views. Side trails are wide enough but I would keep a good distance from the cliffs, definitely easy to loose your stepping. The drive in I saw some deers super close to the road. On the drive back I saw a coyote walk right past my car and also some elk in the distance. Great hike, checked out the beach after and it was awesome too.

Partner and I enjoyed this trail with our kids (4,6). I did not realize it would be an hour and a half drive from Tiburon to get there bit we were lucky to encounter minimal traffic on Saturday at 10 am. (August). The last 20 miles was all fog driving in and we were afraid we would get all fog on the trail itself. Not at all true. A bit foggy but still great visibility. Since there is no shade it was great that the temps were in the mid 60s, slightly overcast. Trail mostly flat with a slight ascent on the way there. Gorgeous views, deer, seals, cows and horses on the way there, butterflies and ladybugs. The path itself is a bit narrow and not even, but not a big deal. I read this area does get busy with traffic so just have water and snacks in the car and a full tank of gas - the basics. So well worth the time. ❤️

Short and easy with a beautiful view.

Beautiful view of the pacific! No shade so put on sunscreen. Theres a bench at the end point where you could relax, eat and just enjoy the nature show. We hiked end of May, saw lots of elephant seals by the seashore. Variety of flowers seen. Fresh air.

Really quick easy hike that should be a must if you’re in the area. Some of the most beautiful views at Point Reyes. It can be a little crowded to park at the trailhead during peak wildlife seasons, but if you are able to go during the winter there are great opportunities to see whales and elephant seals. My favorite hike in this area if only for the cliffs and views.

Very easy hike, just a little up hill towards the end. Quite pretty even though it was foggy and couldn’t see the whole view. Heavily trafficked.

short but pretty, saw elephant seals, whales and great scenery - worth the time!

awesome

this is a nice quick hike out to the look-out at chimney rock. the views + wildflowers are gorgeous. be aware the drive to chimney rock from the main road is a bit tricky since it is essentially one lane with a fair bit of traffic (at least on the weekend).

Easy short hike with kids. Saw elephant seals everywhere.

Great, brief hike. Keep a close eye on the small beaches at the base of the cliffs below, I saw numerous seals, but they’re easy to miss. Also saw several mule deer. Wish the desire paths weren’t all prohibited, however.

Fri Oct 12 2018

Scenery: 2 Views: 3 Difficulty: 2 Crowds: 2 Shade: 1 My 1-5 Rating Scale Comparisons for above: 5 for Scenery; Mcway Falls Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP 4.5 for Scenery: Berry Creek Falls Big Basin State Park 4 for Scenery: Steep Ravine Trail 5 for Views: Nimitz Trail Tilden Park 5 for Views: Ridge Trail San Bruno Mtn Park 4.5 for Views Montara Mtn Summit San Pedro County Park 4 for Views Rancho Canada Del Oro Bald Peaks trail 5 for Difficulty: Junipero Serra Peak 4 for Difficulty: Mount El Sombroso Loop Trail

Tue Oct 02 2018

Fantastic trail, easy, amazing views into the Pacific and Drakes Bay, saw sea lions and even spotted whales off the coast.

Mon Oct 01 2018

Was an easy hike and the views are breathtaking!

Sun Sep 23 2018

The trail is exactly how described with great views at the end.

Sat Aug 11 2018

An easy, pleasant hike with an abundance of wildflowers. White-crowned sparrows greet you from the tall grasses and ravens croak overhead. During the right months of spring or winter, you might see multiple grey whales migrating along the coast. Bring some binoculars and take in the views.

Tue Jun 05 2018

So beautiful!! Easy hike, minor uphills for a few sections. Elephant seals we also it in full form!

Thu Apr 19 2018

easy trail. done it with little kids w/o a problem. beautiful views of the cliffs, ocean and of course the elephant seal. i was expecting to see more flowers though.

Thu Feb 15 2018

Great hike when you want something short and simple but with stellar views. I wasn’t aware that I would get to see elephant seals so that was a nice surprise!

Sat Jan 13 2018

This is a wonderful short, easy hike. Amazing views and even elephant seals that you can see below on the beach from the cliffs. Highly recommend.

Wed Dec 06 2017

Really beautiful and not much crowd

Fri Sep 29 2017

Easy 1.9 out and back. Views of Drakes Bay to one side and the Pacific Ocean on the other. On a clear day, you can see the Farallon Islands 20 miles off the coast, and commercial ships approaching San Francisco Bay.

Thu Aug 24 2017

It was so foggy that we did not even finish the hike. Would be great on a sunny day. Saw a weasel on the trail!

Tue Jul 04 2017

Fantastic experience, good trail, family-friendly, wonderful, fun with family and friends

Sun Jul 02 2017

We had a crystal clear day so views were AMAZING! I'd have to say this was the prettiest hike I've done near Point Reyes (I'm local). Easy hike with very little incline, great for families. There were lots of seals on the beaches we hiked past.

Thu Jun 29 2017

fun... super easy... saw a coyote on the return... beautiful area... i thought it was fairly level going out but definitely downhill on the return... lots of history here

Mon Jun 05 2017

Caught it on a beautiful day-- I think it's typically very windy so bring a jacket and sweatshirt if you get cold easily like me! LOVED looking over the cliffs at the piles of elephant seals below. They were very amusing to sit and watch and the view from the spot was GORGEOUS. 5 stars- easily.

Fri May 19 2017

Beautiful views but can be very windy. Dress accordingly.

Mon May 15 2017

On a misty somewhat overcast cool summer day we were fortunate to be there at the right time (we first drove to the north and McClures beach so that when we returned the lighthouse steps would be open), and walked down the 308 steps to the Point Reyes Lighthouse. The equipment room was open for viewing and we checked out all the interesting stuff like the generator and the horns. Next we hit the Chimney Rock trail by trail running through the golden grasses to the edge of the cliffs and saw sea lions basking below. My boots had a blowout and the sole ripped open (which was a good excuse for a new pair). It was good that we were near the end of our trip, because I didn't have a spare pair at the time. At the end of the trail signs warned you from crossing a fence, but we couldn't see the Chimney, so ducked under for a better view. Not too far, as the land crumbles easily and you could easily end up down the cliff. Turned out to be a great day, not terribly windy and the sun peeked out from time to time. When it's not crowded, both the lighthouse and Chimney Rock trails are a great sojourn. Highly recommend visiting Point Reyes and all of its cool activities. Still have the Tomales Point trail as a to-do on my list.

Mon May 08 2017

What a fantastic place. The hike is great for someone who is just starting out and wants to dip their feet in. Very quite and peaceful. As you hike you can hear the sound of the elephant seals and waves crashing on the rocks. I wouldn't advise bringing kids. Beautiful flowers and wildlife. We saw a pack of deers and bunnies. Not counting the seals.