Chimney Rock Trail

Chimney Rock Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Inverness, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

Walk from the elephant Seal overlook past the historic Lifeboat Station to Chimney Rock. A must see while you are visiting Point Reyes.

Easy 1.9 out and back. Views of Drakes Bay to one side and the Pacific Ocean on the other. On a clear day, you can see the Farallon Islands 20 miles off the coast, and commercial ships approaching San Francisco Bay.

It was so foggy that we did not even finish the hike. Would be great on a sunny day. Saw a weasel on the trail!

Fantastic experience, good trail, family-friendly, wonderful, fun with family and friends

We had a crystal clear day so views were AMAZING! I'd have to say this was the prettiest hike I've done near Point Reyes (I'm local). Easy hike with very little incline, great for families. There were lots of seals on the beaches we hiked past.

fun... super easy... saw a coyote on the return... beautiful area... i thought it was fairly level going out but definitely downhill on the return... lots of history here

Caught it on a beautiful day-- I think it's typically very windy so bring a jacket and sweatshirt if you get cold easily like me! LOVED looking over the cliffs at the piles of elephant seals below. They were very amusing to sit and watch and the view from the spot was GORGEOUS. 5 stars- easily.

Beautiful views but can be very windy. Dress accordingly.

On a misty somewhat overcast cool summer day we were fortunate to be there at the right time (we first drove to the north and McClures beach so that when we returned the lighthouse steps would be open), and walked down the 308 steps to the Point Reyes Lighthouse. The equipment room was open for viewing and we checked out all the interesting stuff like the generator and the horns. Next we hit the Chimney Rock trail by trail running through the golden grasses to the edge of the cliffs and saw sea lions basking below. My boots had a blowout and the sole ripped open (which was a good excuse for a new pair). It was good that we were near the end of our trip, because I didn't have a spare pair at the time. At the end of the trail signs warned you from crossing a fence, but we couldn't see the Chimney, so ducked under for a better view. Not too far, as the land crumbles easily and you could easily end up down the cliff. Turned out to be a great day, not terribly windy and the sun peeked out from time to time. When it's not crowded, both the lighthouse and Chimney Rock trails are a great sojourn. Highly recommend visiting Point Reyes and all of its cool activities. Still have the Tomales Point trail as a to-do on my list.

What a fantastic place. The hike is great for someone who is just starting out and wants to dip their feet in. Very quite and peaceful. As you hike you can hear the sound of the elephant seals and waves crashing on the rocks. I wouldn't advise bringing kids. Beautiful flowers and wildlife. We saw a pack of deers and bunnies. Not counting the seals.

Nice easy hike with lots of wildflowers. Saw elephant seals and a migrating whale and her calf. ❤️

Great short hike, lovely and uncrowded on a Monday night. Saw a coyote while driving in, and a whale out in the bay. Pair this with checking out the lighthouse.