Lower Cheeseboro Canyon Loop

Lower Cheeseboro Canyon Loop is a 2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Agoura Hills, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Cheeseboro Park is one of the many National Park Sites within the SMMNRA (Santa Monica Nationa Recreation area) and is very popular with visitors due to its relatively level terrain. And it's great for kids and families! If you only have one hour to spend at Cheeseboro Canyon, this short trek is great. This specific route is a relatively flat two mile hike that takes approximately one hour to complete. This hike is especially great during the summer as it is mostly alongside a creek and under a canopy of valley oak trees.

I used my jogging stroller and it worked OK. I would do it again.

Took a trail south of Cheeseboro today and there was a major kerfuffle of coyotes in the bush. Heard howls for a few minutes coming from an area of dense brush about 100 yards away. Never saw a single coyote. Just a reminder to those that walk dogs and are inclined to take them off leash. Just because you don't see coyotes doesn't mean that there aren't any coyotes. Your dog probably knows if there are coyotes around and if he/she is inclined to chase or investigate...it could have a tragic ending.

Found out what the little purple flower is that grows so prolific in the fields of many of the canyons though this area. It's Filaree. There are a number of varieties but I'm not inclined to research them enough to differentiate. I'm satisfied just knowing i'ts Filaree. Asked the person at the information booth. He took the trouble to look it up because he couldn't remember the name. The people at this booth are really nice and a great resource. The 5 gold stars are for them.

I like this area but it isn't the best for wildflowers. Just a few here and there. There's a small purple flower that tints the grass purple just after the trailhead. I can't seem to determine what the name of the flower is. Not a big fan of mustard but there are patches of yellow on some of the hills because of it. Oaks are leafing out which is nice. Few more varieties of wildflowers on the west side of Chesebro but not in great numbers. Still a really nice place for a hike with all the green hills.

It's green in Cheeseboro Canyon and throughout the area. The significant rains have made the hills green about a month earlier than last year. The ground is saturated so you're going to have to deal with mud for at least a couple days after a rain. The trails were passable but I didn't cross the road to the section on the other side of Chesebro Rd. Get out and hike...it's worth dealing with a little mud.

I was hiking the loop today and somewhere around 10:15 AM on the stretch after the shady section that closely parallels the creek bed, three deer crossed about 25 yards in front of me. Deer are relatively common but having them cross your path isn't a frequent occurrence. Really improved my mood on a day when I needed it.

I'm afraid the description of Cheeseboro Southern Park oversells the area. Don't get me wrong, I really like the southern part of the Cheeseboro Park. I originally submitted the trail because I wanted to get the word out. However, if you think you're going to see bobcats and foxes, you're going to be disappointed. To begin with both are nocturnal. They aren't out and about when most of us are hiking. The habitat would support them but over the years I have logged thousands of miles in similar habitat and I've seen a bobcat once. There are lots of squirrels and lizards. Birds are plentiful and you might see a hawk in the sky above. Although I haven't seen one in this area, I suspect coyote sightings aren't uncommon. You're chance of seeing deer would increase early morning and evenings. Snakes are also common, in particular rattlesnakes. Obviously they require some caution. Although there is shade the summer sun is hot and there are significant stretches with no shade. I'd definitely avoid the area if temps are climbing into the 90s. It's still a great area and I would also recommend it for kids and families.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

The vast majority of people heading out from the Cheeseboro Canyon trail head go north. I've hiked this trail many times and was always curious about the trail that headed south. Took it on a whim. It's a very nice trail with some nice oak stands. It goes by the original Morrison Ranch House, a nice piece of local history. Typical landscape for the Las Virgenes, Cheeseboro and Palo Comado Canyon areas. Definately worth doing as one of the selection of trails off Cheesebro Rd

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Definitely more of a nice long walk than a hike. We went later in the day due to heat - around 6:45 p.m. in the summer. Saw a bunch of rabbits, an owl in flight, and some horses being ridden on the trail. Also saw the pumpkin patch. The guide for this trip is very helpful.