Learn more

Cheeseboro Canyon Trail is a 10.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Agoura Hills, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,122 feet Route Type: Loop

Directions from Agoura Hills, CA: Travel US 101 / Ventura Freeway to Cheesebro Road, which carries you to the entrance to the Canyons. Proceed to parking lot.

This trail is great for getting some miles and sunshine in. Path is maintained well, easy parking, and ok restrooms.

A good moderate hike. It is closed though, so if you do it, you will be going on a pathway that is “not a trail”

Not enough variation in grade. Pretty but uninteresting.

This is a great hike not a lot of incline and really pretty scenery. Just a quick note if the first parking lot is full you can continue driving and there as another lot at the trailhead.. there are clean restrooms there as well....

I really enjoyed this hike. It clocked in at 10.8 miles but didn’t really feel tough at any point going counter-clockwise since the grade change was very gradual. It took me 3 hours and 48 minutes and I used 2L of water. Nice views all around and varied terrain in some areas but mostly wide open paths except the middle third of the hike. Lots of mountain bikers and hikers were out making the most of the weather and most of the bikers had bells which was helpful. I will definitely be back for more. Don’t follow the Google Maps directions just enter the park parking lot and follow it to the end.

A great all around hike! Plan for about four hours and bring plenty of water. I started at 5:30 AM and had a good two hours of hiking before it started to get hot. At no point are these trails a challenge - so it’s more of an endurance thing. Beauty and nature everywhere. There were a number of bikers on the trail which was the only bothersome part. They come up on you so quickly. Please, if you bike, put a bell on it.

Wed Jun 05 2019

I give it a 3 bc the bottom stretch is completely overgrown....and some of the stems have been bitten or cut and that's made them sharp....cut my leg and face up as the brush is about 6 to 7 ft tall... good workout. hard to get through that at the end of the trail....

Wed Jun 05 2019

the last quarter of the trail is completely over grown....over my head over grown....so I'm giving it a 3....to be in the middle of town and be so out a shape....but great workout. that last incline in the heat was hard. shoulda gotten. out earlier....still enjoying the water and super bloom tho!

Sun Jun 02 2019

Welcome to Cheseboro! or is it Cheesebro? Chesbro! The world will never know. Redundancy is an overstatement for this trail because there's a whole lot of 6 foot monster grass ready to smack across your baby face. I only really got an hour's way in with a few friends and they still refuse to talk to me to this very day. Just drive to Simi and hit CorriganVille, it's worth the extra 20 minutes.

Mon May 27 2019

Sun May 26 2019

I’ve been on this trail many times in the past and it was absolutely gorgeous. This is my first time back after the fires and I was very disappointed to see how extremely overgrown the trail is in spots. The vegetation was over 6 feet high on either side of the trail and I felt like I was walking through a jungle. Saw tons of butterflies a coyote and a couple rattlesnakes. Only 3 stars due to the poorly maintained trails.

Mon May 06 2019

I did this trail with a group of friends after a lot of rainfall and it was beautiful. We had our dog and besides keeping him out of the way of bikers he was able to be off leash the whole hike. Not a ton of shade, but depending on the time of day the hills and trees create their own shade. Bring plenty of water! Chacos can be worn for this because there isn’t much in the way of hills and you’ll get a great tan line. We saw a lot of fun wildlife: snakes, coyotes, bunnies, lizards. Great hike to do if you want a long stroll through nature.

Thu Apr 25 2019

The bridge on Chesebro Rd has been replaced after the Woolsey fire and the main parking lot is now open.

Sun Mar 31 2019

A little bit of everything for everyone, easy to moderate, technical, climbs and downhill, single and dual track, spring flowers in bloom. An excellent hike or bike.

Sun Jan 13 2019

Gorgeous rolling greens trail. Moderate yet muddy when I chose to go last weekend after the rains. Lots of fun off shoots to explore. It was beautiful to see the regrowth coming in since the fires. A total rebirth of the valley. We saw loads of coyotes coming back and looking for meals so think about keeping small dogs on leashes.

Sat Dec 22 2018

Go to trail close to the house. Great for trail running. Very tame mountain bike trail. Can be hot in the summer...

Sat Jun 30 2018

nice area. you can ride your bike, run if you like to run some trails like i do or just hike. there's not much shade so the sun will be a factor..

Fri Jun 29 2018

I love it is really close to my house

Tue May 29 2018

Fun basic trail that is great for beginners. There are sections with rock obstacles which are tunneled within trees. Great views too. Recommend bringing more than 24oz of water/sport drink during the heat. Popular trail for the horse riding Agoura neighborhood.

Sun May 06 2018

Rattlesnakes are out in full force now. My son had a baby one cross the trail right in front of his bike

Sun Mar 04 2018

Good old reliable cheseboro

Mon Feb 12 2018

Most of the bikers were friendly, but some of the trail was very narrow and the bikers go so fast that it’s not the best place to hike with dogs. But it was a good hike.

Mon Nov 27 2017

Great trail Lots of bikers on weekends Too much horse poop to give it a 5

Sat Nov 25 2017

Love this trail! Extremely low traffic and stunning views. Good challenging incline, but great flats to run as well.

Thu Nov 16 2017

Good open trails with lots of options. Trail is soft in spots and because of all the options it’s easy to get flipped around or lost. The middle peak is nice, but the trail is pretty bland otherwise. There is trails for all skill levels.

Wed Sep 20 2017

Lots of mt. bikes. We entered the loop from Doubletree Lane, so only 7 miles for us.

Tue Sep 19 2017

Saw three deer today (Sept 19,2017) hiking this trail. See my milepost on my recording Cheeseboro Canyon View attached to Cheeseboro Canyon View Trail. Always great to see deer. It wasn't near dawn or dusk but about 11:45. It was a cloudy cooler day. There was a doe with male and female fawns. Doe stayed pretty well hidden but fawns were out in the open. Both the young ones and I had a staring contest but they were unperturbed.

Fri Jun 09 2017

Difficult climb on dead cow trail as it is full of channels and holes. But a great down hill ride after the climb.

Mon May 22 2017

Really peaceful Canyon, mostly wide trail, better to hike in cooler evening. I've hiked in midday and the sun kinda wipes you out as there are limited shade and breezes. Well travelled by bikers and hikers, listen for the bike bells and step to the left!