Champion Lodgepole via Castle Rock Trail

Champion Lodgepole via Castle Rock Trail is a 5.8 mile loop trail located near Big Bear Lake, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Sylvan stream, Lush meadow, World's biggest lodgepole, 'Bonanza' boulders. If you have more than an hour and at least a half a day - this is the hike to take in Big Bear. Be sure before crossing into Bluff Lake Preserve you contact and get permission from The Wildlands Conservancy (909) 797-8507 - there are rare plants and meadows here, be careful where you tread. It is really easy to get to the Champion Lodgepole. It is over 450 years old and 110 feet tall, a real rarity for this variety of pine.

The first part of the trail is a good workout, the view is awesome at Castle Rock and the hike further is a great look at our local forest.

AMAZING views! The hike we took led us to Bluff Lake Reserve. The trail is kinda crowded until you get past Castle Rock. When you get to the rock, follow the trail to the left, instead of going right to go behind castle rock. trail levels off and it's beautiful scenery the whole way. Once the trail hits the dirt road, follow the road to the right about a 1/4 mile and the trail will pick back up on your left. It's more like a narrow driving trail. it'll lead you back to the reserve. So beautiful and peaceful back there. Total hike was just over 5 miles round trip. And I'd definitely say it's dog friendly, on a leash until the people thin out past the Rock.

We hiked this trail on a weekend trip to big bear. Unlike other reviews, we found it dog friendly (we have a large German Shepard) and kid friendly (we wore him in a pack, but did allow him to walk around at various points). The views are simply stunning!!! Had no issues with parking starting out at 0900, was full by the time we finished. Route allows you to turn around easily if you don’t want to do full distance. Trail near Castle Rock was confusing, otherwise well marked.

Took this hike yesterday with my dogs. NOT DOG FRIENDLY. There is only parking on the busy narrow lanes of hwy 18 that you have to cross without any crosswalks to get to the trail head. I wouldnt consider it very kid friendly either. If you do take your dog I would suggest leaving little dogs at home. The first mile is pretty much just rock steps and my dachshund had a rough time. The trail after that is pretty decent, however the trail ends before the lake and just turns into a road that people speed down and round corners NOT SAFE.

Awesome. The first part uphill is tough, but it's worth it. You know it's a good hike when you say "wow" out loud... twice.

Great weather and a great hike with 5 of my friends. Terrain is tough due to climb in elevation for first two miles or so, but push and you'll get through it. Would not recommend taking small children (especially infants!) as a lot of people didn't even make it to Castle Rock with small kids. Dog-friendly (on leash) and beautiful views. If you can do the full 12 miles (6 in and 6 back) it is definitely worth it!

Great hike for the adventures family. My family and I took this hike and really enjoyed it. Walking around bluff lake and taking in the views was worth the steep climb. The beginning of this hike is closer to hard then moderate. Enjoy!