Learn more

Chalone Peak Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Paicines, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,155 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Moses Spring Trail: Continue driving past the visitor center on the park road. Park in the southernmost parking area. Follow the High Peaks Trail southward from the parking lot. If you choose to explore the Bear Gulch Caves follow the Moses Spring Trail at the first fork in the trail. This trail will lead through the caves then end at Chalone Peak Trail.

Full sun. Bring lots of water and the incline makes a great workout. Views are beautiful at the end. Enjoy!

A gorgeous view awaits. If I could only do one hike in the park this would not be it. Do the High Peaks trail, but if you're there for a while and have done the peaks and the caves, this is time well spent. Watch out for snakes, we were stopped on the trail for 15 minutes dealing with a very mad and very large rattle snake. Start early is a must in the summer to beat the heat.

We got there early on a Saturday morning and almost nobody was out. We were surprised by how nice the path through the caves was, impressive and a must-see! After you hit the reservoir it’s all slight uphill incline for the next 3 miles or so and rocky/sandy with beautiful views but hardly any shade for a hot day. Bring water! The peak is a cool old tower, all boarded up and some wonderful views of the whole valley and surrounding area. On our way out around 11 or so the foot traffic got a little hectic near the reservoir and in the caves with lots of large groups out. There were quite a few narrow passages that only allow one person at a time so this just exacerbated the congestion. Overall it was an awesome hike, my watch recorded just over 8 miles for the round trip. Just make sure to get there early to beat the crowds!

Sat Apr 13 2019

Great hike in the spring with all the wildflowers in bloom, had 2 condors (or probably the same one twice) fly only a couple feet over my head.. I only made it to the north peak, and tried to head onward to the south peak, but the trail between the peaks was too overgrown to do in shorts. This trail is harder than high peaks in my opinion, pretty much a long, steady uphill all the way from the reservoir to the north peak. The famous pig fence section is a bit odd, but is only a small, under a mile, section of the trail. I only saw 2 runners the entire route and nobody else, so this trail is a nice respite from the business of high peaks, with great views of the surrounding valleys and high peaks area itself. It does have almost no shade, and is harder than you might expect, so definitely bring enough water for it as the signs past the reservoir warn.

Fri Mar 22 2019

Me and my friend had some great times on this trail. While we were hiking up we went through spits of rain that would come and go. By the time we got to the top the systems had separated and were heading east, however from where we were standing we could see 3 separate rainbows in the valley. Absolutely epic. good view from the outhouse at the top.

Sat Mar 09 2019

Great hike and made it to South Peak. After crossing the fence to the North Peak tower, and cross at the gate, the trail is just to the right. I missed it, and after returning from the North Peak, thought I needed to walk along the fence :) Saw a chubby teenager bobcat and the views are spectacular. Would totally do it again. On the way back there were handfuls of folks doing the North Peak. If you have one day to hike Pinnacles, the traditional hike along the circle through the pinnacle peaks is more rewarding. This is hike 2.0.

Mon Feb 25 2019

I decided to make a long loop, I know others have as well. Unfortunately I didn’t know I’d be hiking next to a fence line for the majority of the trail. The scenery is amazing but the route was quite strenuous and AllTrails isn’t accurate on this one, likely because of the new NPS boundary fencing. Anyway, glad I hiked it

Tue Nov 13 2018

We walked from the Campground up to North Peak. A good steady uphill all the way. Take water even in November- we consumed over 2 litres each. At the top with the lookout we had 3 Condors as we had lunch. 2 mature and 1 Juvenile- all with tagged #’s. Resting on the roof of the lookout. 23 kms in total. No one else on the Peak trail. Highly recommend.

Sun Oct 21 2018

The hike to North Chalone Peak was moderately difficult. When I started the hike it was a bit chilly but halfway through the day, it warmed up. I did not encounter anyone hiking, passed the reservoir. I carried 3 Liters and drank about 2 of it.

Wed Aug 29 2018

Great view from the peak.

Sun Jul 29 2018

By far one of my favorite trails at the Pinnacles. It’s less traveled than high peaks but has amazing views. The incline is steady but isn’t that bad until you hit the last part of the trail, then it gets pretty steep. The views are totally worth it! This hike is best done in the winter, spring or fall. In the summer it is either really hot or the morning fog lingers which can prevent you from enjoying the views.

Sat Mar 10 2018

Two friends flew in for a 45 minute visit at the top. Mating pair of condors. Incredible experience.

Sun Feb 25 2018

Pinnacles never disappoints! We went a little farther down to South chalone peak which was good to get some more distance but not much to see down there! North chalone peak was gorgeous!

Mon Oct 30 2017

started at Chaparral parking lot and ran up to high peaks via Juniper Canyon. Then made my way down and up ro North Chalone Peak. After a rest went on to South Chalone Peak. trails are in excellent condition. Made my way back and down to Bear Gulch and up to Condor Canyon. Finally went back down via high peaks trail. 19 mile with over 5,400ft of elevation gain. Just beautiful!

Tue Aug 15 2017

Best views in the park!

Fri Apr 21 2017

Great after the winter rains. Multiple wildflowers.

Thu Apr 06 2017

We hike every spring at the Pinnacles and usually stick to the High Peaks as they never fail to impress. Said we'd climb Chalone one of these years and finally got around to it. It was easier than expected with a moderate but consistent incline from Bear Gulch. I have to say the near views along the trail are far less spectacular than High Peaks, but the distant views are unmatched, especially from the top where you get an awesome panorama of the park and the Salinas Valley. Note that you are much less likely to view condors along this trail and be wary of poison oak along the lower stretches. Now that the trail is off my bucket list, would I do it again? Maybe, but I will probably be sticking to the High Peaks and North Wilderness for the foreseeable future.

Sun Feb 26 2017

Awe-inspiring hike complete with gushing waterfalls (*depending on the season), eerie caves, views of daring rock climbers, and beautiful mountain views. Whole trip took roughly 4 hours with breaks in between, had to improvise on a part of the trail which got flooded. My partner and I brought 3 liters of water and had 1 liter left over by the time we got back to the car. The waterfall and cave trail was carefully lined with secure railings for the weary. Climbing the stairwell up next to the gushing waterfall was simultaneously an intimidating and humbling experience. *TIPS: Headlamps/ flashlights are mandatory for the caves. Most of the trail has great tree coverage, but it does get hot along the way. Bring plenty of water!

Fri May 13 2016

Hiked to the fire tower on top of North Chalone Peak from the Juniper Canyon Trail today (Soledad side) and it was pretty intense! 7.7 miles one way, totaling at 15.4 miles total. My husband and I each carried a gallon of water each and we ran out of water around mile 10. Bring plenty of water!

Fri Feb 12 2016

it gets hot up there. The views are amazing

Sun Nov 20 2011

Great hike with awesome views all around. One of six "rimrover" trails in the Bay Area...the whole family had a great day with it. Note: it looks closer to 9mi/2100vft per the park service.

recorded Recording - Apr 20, 05:24 PM