Chabot to Las Trampas via Ramage Peak

Chabot to Las Trampas via Ramage Peak is a 11 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Oakland, California that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

I've been wanting to do this one for a while as it connects two parks that I've extensively hiked and I wanted to see what lies in the open space between them. Rampage Peak Trail was recently (as of summer 2018) added to the All Trails map layer. I had hiked a little bit of it on the Las Trampas Side, but it wasn't clear at the time where it went if I continued south. The trail was rated as easy, but the remoteness and elevation gain would rate it as a hard trail in my opinion.

I did the hike solo on July 4th. I wouldn't recommend doing this as I didn't see any other hikers for almost 10 miles from when I left the Chabot Staging Area until I got to Rocky Ridge in Las Trampas. And I went for long stretches without cell service, which would have put me in a precarious position if something went wrong. I didn't do the point to point as I'm a glutton for punishment and didn't feel like dealing with the logistics. So it was round tripper for me. I also didn't see anyone on my return trip from Rocky Ridge to the Chabot Staging Area. You're really off the beaten path on this one. This is basically the most remote hike you can do in the east bay hills. So if you're not comfortable hiking for hours without any signs of human life, then this isn't the hike for you.

You'll need a permit for this one to pass through the EBMUD lands. There's a sign-in at the Chabot Staging Area. Funny thing, I don't think I've ever seen a sign in on the Las Trampas side. Also, no dogs or bikes are allowed. This is strictly for hikers. I wouldn't recommend taking a dog anyway as I was walking through a lot of foxtail. It was all over my pants and socks. I had to keep stopping and picking things out. The trail is overgrown at parts because it isn't well traveled. That's why I didn't rate it very high.

But if you want to really challenge yourself, then this is the trail for you. I was even thinking of tacking on an up & down on the Las Trampas ridge before turning around to try to crack the 8000 ft elevation mark that has eluded me, but I was feeling a little out of shape that day having not done any long hikes for a couple months.

I saw some wildlife along the way. There were the usual suspects - deer, wild turkeys - but I also came across a wild pig and it's piglet, a fox, and a snake. And there were a lot of birds of prey around Rampage Peak.