Learn more

Cerro San Luis Obispo Loop Trail is a 3.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near San Luis Obispo, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,036 feet Route Type: Loop

overcrowded, but a great view.not my favourite trail in the area...but you need to do it at least once.

Hiked this trail 1/26/2020 Beautiful easy hike. It was such a beautiful sunny day.

This is a fun trail - particularly the backside (past the “M”) with its charming rocky paths, raised wooden platforms and sprawling oaks. Pretty easy overall, although you can choose to go the steeper way on the way up, which got my heart rate up. Loved the prickly pears and lemon grove. It is easily accessed from downtown SLO and there is plenty of room in the lot for parking. It was moderately busy on the trail, but not overwhelming.

Not sure how to rate this. I’m so thankful for the little peaks here. We don’t have altitude, but what you can get is 1000 feet of vertical from either San Luis Mtn or Bishop Peak. Close by, easy to access and a pretty good workout. Make of it what you will, it can help you get ready for the Sierras, Rockies, or Alps, I happen to love it.

Tried this trail out when I first moved to SLO. A great first hike, indeed! You get a beautiful view of SLO from the top and the way down is fairly shady which is always nice for a good cool down. 10/10 recommend!

Very popular hike. On a road for the majority of the way. Nice views. Not as good of a hike as neighboring Bishop Peak.

Great loop. Gets a little rocky coming down from the summit.

great hike did it 1hr 45 min long way up and fire trail down the other side....

go clock wise. start to the left

highly trafficked, but it is gorgeous from the top. avoid midday as the air is usually thick and hot.

Nice trail. Close to town and easy to stop by for a quick hour hike or longer. Love this trail.

Sat Mar 09 2019

Great hike, great work out. The trail head is about 1.0 down a narrow, curvy entrance road, be prepared to pay $10 to park and it is monitored with an onsite manager, worth price to see the view from the top...gorgeous!!!

Fri Mar 01 2019

Second time hiking this. Didn’t hike to be top this time, just around. North side had quite a bit of muddy/wet areas but doable if you’ve got got shoes on and aren’t afraid of getting a little muddy.

Tue Feb 19 2019

Great view and fun hike! I made a bit of a deviation from going to the top but a helpful couple told me how to get up there so I added abt .6 to the final hike. Beautiful view especially this time of year!

Fri Feb 15 2019

Went during recent rains.... refreshing trail but needs a break from the rain. Ruts and Rocks just waiting to crank an ankle... if you’re running.... but other than that.... so awesome when all you see is green and water everywhere.... Sweet! Seems like cows or people have provided plenty of options for off-shoots...allowing the ability to elongate these trails without bushwhacking and still remaining on trail.

Sat Dec 29 2018

Great hike come early morning because it’s gets packed with hikers

Wed Dec 26 2018

Great view from the top, and we got to walk through a field of cows which I liked

Fri Dec 14 2018

Really Good Workout.

Mon Nov 05 2018

Great hike today. Wide trails

Thu Oct 25 2018

Good hike, my 13 year old dog was able to reach the tippy top with me. We went clockwise and were bombarded with high noon sun... hike would have been a little easier if it weren’t for the heat (still not too bad, late October). The hike down was mostly shade.

Sat Sep 08 2018

Mostly doing flat land trails in Austin this is fantastic change. Beautiful views all the way up, if no marine layer obviously. I've seen folks from 6 to 86 on this trail. As a side note, I lost my wallet on the trail. After realizing later, we went back and found it by a billboard fully intact. Folks here are top notch. As a plus, multiple breweries within 2 miles once you're done. Enjoy!

Tue Sep 04 2018

Such a fun trail! Great views at the top, and lots of fun things to play on. I had to keep an eye out for mountain bikers, but they were very respectful in sharing the trails. Its not too strenuous, but still enough to feel like you got a workout. I really enjoyed this loop.

Mon Sep 03 2018

Good hike not hard the elevation gain is spread out over two miles. It was overcast the day I hiked so I didn’t have much of a view from the top.

Fri Aug 03 2018

Great afternoon hike! Most is on a clearly defined, wide trail, although there are smaller paths if you want. It is worth hiking to the very top (there is a pole to define it). Great overview of SLO!

Wed May 30 2018

Wonderful and peaceful hike.

Fri May 18 2018

This is my go to hike in SLO. I love it. Beautiful view from the top and good workout.