Cerro Cabrillo/Cabrillo Peak

Cerro Cabrillo/Cabrillo Peak is a 2.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Morro Bay, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and rock climbing and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

Ok, this moderate rating needs some clarification. The trail starts off moderately, with a pretty rapid increase in altitude. Enough for a really good warm up for an old guy like me. Then it levels out and is really easy. Once you make the turn North from the Quarry Trail to head up to the Cabrillo Peak someone might post a sign, "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here." Admittedly that is hyperbole. The trail starts with a gradual rise, then severe increase in altitude. Today, after the prolific rains of 2017 much of the trail is nothing more than a steep washed out stream bed. Treacherous. This was an ad hoc hike, and I just decided to get out of town yesterday and head for the coast. The decision to take this hike was made this morning. I brought the wrong shoes. Take good traction hikers. The final bit is frank rock climbing. The views, however, are spectacular from the peak. Getting back down was not a cardio challenge, but still a challenge, especially without appropriate footwear. I had to carefully choose foot placements, and use the staff I found in the Sierras a couple of years ago that lives in my trunk. As I am writing this, looking out from my hotel balcony at the Morro Rock, the cold Pacifico is quite rewarding.

Great hike, however the interpretation of moderate is super easy followed by intensively steep. Great views from the top of Morro rock.

Lot of boulders at the top that give you beautiful views of los osos and morro bay. Loved it

Beautiful view and fun rock climbing at the top!

Last 100ft are rocky, steep and without a visible path. Stay sure-footed, keep 3-points-of-contact and get your ass up there. It's phenomenal.

PS: Pause periodically to stretch on the way down. You're gonna need it. ;)

just had some trouble near the top.

Good hard climbed

Great trail. We brought our kids, 9 and 11.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Not a bad hike. Being an avid Az hiker, this hike took me out of my element a bit, but back to my east coast roots as well. Been used to dirt and cactus, and this hike had more green plants. I wish I would've seen some mention of the possibility of Mountain Lions on this hike, on this site, as I may not have done the hike alone. Luckily there is information about them at the trailhead. I was paying more attention to snakes, but I don't feel like there's a high chance of coming across them on this hike. Enjoy the hike, just be safe while doing so.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Wanted to hike this today with my dog, but all of the signs clearly say No Dogs.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

First time hiking this trail- I totally forgot t record it in this app but I did capture the hike on map my run app- oh well next time. I am new to hiking- but not to exercise. My husband and I did the trail and looped around and found ourselves coming out on the west end of the trail then had to take the highway for a short distance back to our car. This made our total hike just under 3 miles. I wouldn't call this an easy trail- but it was on the easy side of moderate in my opinion. The day was beautiful and there were only a couple of people on the trail- probably because we did the hike on a Tuesday in April :)
I would recommend this trail- the plants and the vistas made it totally worth it!! We even spotted a bird I've never seen before :))

Monday, March 21, 2016

Very good trail, although poison oak is starting to take over at the very top of the mountain. Might need to hike up with roundup one of these days

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Had an awesome hike here. Well marked trails, check the map at trailhead or use the live map on all trails to confirm when you get to the splits. You won't get lost but just a matter of miles and comparison to posted hike. Extremely beautiful bring your phone or camera, it is much much better than it looks from the street or parking lot.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

You can't bring dogs, this info is totally wrong.

Saturday, November 21, 2015