Cerro Alto Trail Loop

Cerro Alto Trail Loop is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Morro Bay, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Water and restrooms on site. Max 2 vehicles per campsite.

Probably my favorite trail I've had the chance to trek in SLO County. The most challenging physically and only recommended for higher fitness levels, especially if you're planning on hiking up to the peak. I took my bike up to the top and it was pretty savage, but the views are utterly amazing. I could see from Guadalupe all the way to Ragged Point. Easily the greatest ocean view I've ever seen. The ride down was an adrenaline rush to say the least but oh so worth the push up the peak. Lots of cool nature views, creeks, etc. I even saw a horny toed lizard when I was up at the peak, which I did not expect or even knew existed out there. Just an amazing place to hike. Be sure to bring at least $10 with you for parking as the county charges to park

Dont let sammi review scare u off seems like he or she is inexperienced and out of shape... i have climbed this with a 2 year old on my back.. it is challenging but doable, check weather, better to go on cool day as there is little shade.. take plenty of water.. maybe some trail mix but no need to pack full meal if ur relatively in shape.

Went despite the previous reviews- they must not have been very good at hiking. Great well maintained trail and one of the harder ones in the area, and do make it to the top: the views are amazing and worth it if weather is good. For an easier version or for mt biking, make it to the first tier up the mountain - great views, easy, and hard packed.

Love this hike!! Definitely recommend it

I forgot to add something....we get to the lot and these people camping tell us to not go up one of the ways because people keep saying they see a mountain lion up there. I did NOT sign up for fucking MOUNTAIN LIONS. In hindsight, we should've just gone up that way anyways because by the time we were coming back down from the top of this motherfucker I was wishing that a mountain lion would just kill me and put me out of my misery. Watch out for ticks and rattlesnakes too :):):)

What the fuck....this trail is hard and there's no warning that it is a) long and very steep b) slippery as fuck on the way down and c) not marked well. If you aren't an experienced hiker or in decent shape then I wouldn't go on this trail. Make sure to bring a lot of water, Yosemite level water, because it's sunny as fuck and you're going to sweat a lot. Bring food too if you don't want to pass out. Good luck not slipping and falling on all the fucking pebbles on the way down. Bring poles because that helps with that, but you still have to be super careful. We didn't think we were going to make it to the top but then we did and the view wasn't even worth it because it was foggy and the rest of the surroundings looked like we were in goddamn Africa. The view at .25 miles in is literally the same as the top except you don't get to see the foggy ocean. If you want to see the ocean go fucking drive to the beach, not this. Go to Yosemite if you want to hike because it's worth it 1 million times more than this shit.

It was beyond amazing! Really nice views.

Great hike! Love the views.

$10 day pass. Worth hiking to the summit. A little long and steep but I would do it again. HOWEVER we must have gone when the flies hatched, I've never experienced so many flies in my life.

love that trail.