Learn more

Cerro Alto Trail Loop is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Morro Bay, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,607 feet Route Type: Loop

$10 daily use fee for parking at the trailhead. Annual and Adventure Passes are not accepted.

great and easy hike!! it's a must do hike!! at the top was a classic!!

Feb 29th 2020, it was a beautiful day. Was able to see the Morro Rock, although it was a bit foggy. We wanted to make it to the summit but we realized we missed the turn to the summit so decided to turn around to make it back to the parking lot in time. Spotted beautiful blue cardinals and we heard owls. We came out of Bridge Trail at the end but, if we preferred this trail at the beginning. There was no apparent sign for this trail head from the parking lot. The fee ($10) is well worth it. Pretty views all the way. Highly recommend this trail.

Beautiful and well maintained trail.

Lovely trail. Mostly uphill in way in and downhill on the way out. Great views toward the west and east.creek and lots of shade. Manzanita is is bloom.

fee

great hike with amazing views. well worth it but check yourself and pups for ticks!

fee

Absolutely beautiful. The trail was well maintained, and full of wonderful views and a variety of plants/trees. The trail to the summit is all uphill, but the grade isn't too ridiculous, and I would recommend this hike to anyone. Be sure to bring the exact cash for the parking fee, as there is no ability to get change.

fee

Beautiful trail, and well worth the hike. Bring tick repellent, even in the winter.

Straightforward hike, 1 hour to the top, stunning views. Only 4 stars because of all the clouds of flies that kept swarming me nearer the summit. Extend the hike along the ridge to the TV masts.

Not what we would classify as difficult, but more moderate. Great views from the summit if it’s a clear day.

Great trail. Steep. Poles aren’t necessary, but my knees would’ve appreciated them for the descent. Insane views. You can see past Nipomo to the south and up to Ragged Point to the north.

This is a great trail for training and goes up and up and up. Not too many people on a Saturday morning. The trail head was not well marked but if you follow your all trails app it’ll show you where the trail starts. The trail is pretty well-maintained but stay on the trail because of the poison oak. Take water with you and there’s not really any available unless you have a filter on the first part. The views on the way up and at the top are great however there was smoke in the air because of the California brushfires.

The perfect hike for what I was looking for on my drive from SLO to the Bay Area; scenic with not many people at all (passed maybe four other groups). Did this hike on a cool Sunday in September. I can’t imagine how beautiful it must be in the spring when everything is green. I would do this hike again.

my husband and I rode this trail today on horseback. it was a good workout for our horses there are some low branches so if you have a tall horse you may have to get off. Definitely a trail for solid trail horse as there some narrow paths. All in all we really liked it was beautiful up at the top and rocky terrain but our horses handled it well.

Sweet and hard hike. Ate our tacos at the top with Sasquatch.

fee

Beautiful hike near the Central Coast. The hike is consistently uphill, but not too hard. At a brisk pace, it took me only 40 minutes. It gives spectacular views of both the coast and more inland the whole way up as you're hiking. It cost $10 to park at the bottom, and you can also camp at the bottom, which is pretty cool. I recommend going at sunrise or sunset, as it will be absolutely gorgeous colors. The trail is well kept and there are several different trails to take that will all go towards the top. A little rocky at parts, but nothing too hard. I went at 7pm and watched the sunset and left at 8pm. Amazing experience, only downside was hiking down the mountain in the dark. Hike of a lifetime.

Beautiful central coast hike on a well maintained trail. Be prepared for the spectacular view of all SLO county coast and beyond. This hike during wild flower season is great. Not for vast colorful fields but for variety of flowers.

Great day hike! Awesome views from the top of the summit. There was a fair amount of shade along the trail and a lot of scree that made me wish I had brought my hiking poles for the walk down. It was a little buggy at the top but there was a really nice breeze that made it worth it!

Great trail and not too difficult. We went at 6am and hiked out of the mist into the sun. No ocean view because of the fog, but still a great hike. I used trekking poles on the way down but you don’t need them.

Loved this trail but definitely recommend hiking poles. Especially going down. Lots of slippery gravel. Amazing views.

Absolutely beautiful! Must go back on a clear day, but the foliage this time of year is delightful. (mid-April 2019)

Be ready for a long incline accent. Nice trail

Hiked this trail on a foggy morning, and everything was lush and green. Very pretty wildflowers, and the trail was well maintained. I can see that this would be a hot difficult hike in different weather, but in the Early Spring is was perfect.

Started this hike at 4:25pm and started at the trailhead that leaves out near the back end of the camp. Starts flat, but pretty much uphill the rest of the way, some parts pretty steep and slippery. Would recommend this trial during the spring when the weather is nice, can imagine the top half being pretty hot and tiring during the hotter and dry months. Great views all around and of Morro Rock. Was hoping to catch a sunset with the rock, but the fog rolled. Which actually made for a more dramatic sunset. Lots of bugs, but didn't seem to be interested in me.. didn't see mosquitoes. Overall, would recommend this hike, but when its cool and green.

bridge out