Cerro Alto Trail Loop

Cerro Alto Trail Loop is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Morro Bay, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Water and restrooms on site. Max 2 vehicles per campsite.

This trail offers a spectacular view once you reach the summit. It also is a fantastic workout and an amazing alternative to stair steppers and elliptical machines!

I love this trail!

I took the longer trail to the summit and the shorter one back to the campground. Both are worth seeing, but I preferred the longer route. Both trails are found inside the campground. The longer is further in than the short trail. There is a $10.00 fee that you can pay before the campground right as you turn off of hwy 41 or in the dirt lot at the back of the campground next to the trailhead.

It is a fairly steep trail, especially the last 1.2 miles to the top. Be sure to have shoes with decent tread on the way down. The loose gravel and incline combine to make it a bit slippery. This last leg is also very sunny. Bring sunscreen or a hat.

We parked at the 41 entrance and ran up the boyscout trail which is quite steep. Went through the tower road where it connected to the out and back of the Cerro Alto Loop. Amazing views of Los Osos, Morro Bay and all the peaks. Diablo, Black Hills, etc....Highly recommended!

Great trail. Bathrooms at the trail head were discussing. Come prepared.

Great cardio workout without the need to run. Terrific views. Good option for preparing or conditioning for a backpacking trip.
Only negative is that the trailhead is in a day use fee area so it will cost $10 to hike the 4 mile loop

Tough climb but worth the view.

beautiful! wonderful hike!

Love this trail for its amazing views and rigorous climb.

Great hike! Strava said 5.5 miles for the way we went but overall views are awesome and hike is do able! Some pretty steep parts but overall fun!

Great trail along beautifully vegetated hillsides, with a world-class 360-degree view at the top. This well-maintained trail is rated "hard", but I think it's actually moderately difficult. I highly recommend this very satisfying hike.

This is the perfect day hike. Easy to get to the trailhead from anywhere in San Luis Obispo county, great area to park, well maintained trails, not too crowded, great vegetation and trees. The way up is a good work out but is doable for someone that is in average shape... and the views are incredible.

Great hike, Was a great challenge to get to the summit peak but the view is breathtaking and amazing recommend to any one looking for a good challenge

I'd definitely recommend this hike to anyone looking for something a little harder and more out there then something like bishops peak. Took me about an hour and a half to get to the top and an amazing 360 degree view on a clear day from Morro rock to Atascadero area. Trail is marked out well minus a few spots but using common sense you can figure out where you need to go. Make sure you bring 10$ to pay the day fee or 25$ for camping. Ticks, rattlesnakes and mountain lion warnings posted but that's normal for hiking in my opinion.

Probably my favorite trail I've had the chance to trek in SLO County. The most challenging physically and only recommended for higher fitness levels, especially if you're planning on hiking up to the peak. I took my bike up to the top and it was pretty savage, but the views are utterly amazing. I could see from Guadalupe all the way to Ragged Point. Easily the greatest ocean view I've ever seen. The ride down was an adrenaline rush to say the least but oh so worth the push up the peak. Lots of cool nature views, creeks, etc. I even saw a horny toed lizard when I was up at the peak, which I did not expect or even knew existed out there. Just an amazing place to hike. Be sure to bring at least $10 with you for parking as the county charges to park

Dont let sammi review scare u off seems like he or she is inexperienced and out of shape... i have climbed this with a 2 year old on my back.. it is challenging but doable, check weather, better to go on cool day as there is little shade.. take plenty of water.. maybe some trail mix but no need to pack full meal if ur relatively in shape.

Went despite the previous reviews- they must not have been very good at hiking. Great well maintained trail and one of the harder ones in the area, and do make it to the top: the views are amazing and worth it if weather is good. For an easier version or for mt biking, make it to the first tier up the mountain - great views, easy, and hard packed.

Love this hike!! Definitely recommend it

I forgot to add something....we get to the lot and these people camping tell us to not go up one of the ways because people keep saying they see a mountain lion up there. I did NOT sign up for fucking MOUNTAIN LIONS. In hindsight, we should've just gone up that way anyways because by the time we were coming back down from the top of this motherfucker I was wishing that a mountain lion would just kill me and put me out of my misery. Watch out for ticks and rattlesnakes too :):):)

What the fuck....this trail is hard and there's no warning that it is a) long and very steep b) slippery as fuck on the way down and c) not marked well. If you aren't an experienced hiker or in decent shape then I wouldn't go on this trail. Make sure to bring a lot of water, Yosemite level water, because it's sunny as fuck and you're going to sweat a lot. Bring food too if you don't want to pass out. Good luck not slipping and falling on all the fucking pebbles on the way down. Bring poles because that helps with that, but you still have to be super careful. We didn't think we were going to make it to the top but then we did and the view wasn't even worth it because it was foggy and the rest of the surroundings looked like we were in goddamn Africa. The view at .25 miles in is literally the same as the top except you don't get to see the foggy ocean. If you want to see the ocean go fucking drive to the beach, not this. Go to Yosemite if you want to hike because it's worth it 1 million times more than this shit.

It was beyond amazing! Really nice views.

Great hike! Love the views.

$10 day pass. Worth hiking to the summit. A little long and steep but I would do it again. HOWEVER we must have gone when the flies hatched, I've never experienced so many flies in my life.

love that trail.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

great hike, some dogs were off the leash but besides that very fun

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Beautiful hike. Beautiful views of Morro Bay and Los Osos Valley from the top.

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Great trail, not too steep and great views! From the top a clear view of Morro rock and bay and watched the fog come sweeping in! Just keep in mind there is $10 charge to enter the park!

Friday, January 06, 2017

This is an amazing hike if you're looking to get a great workout. Love it!

Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Cerro Alto Trail is starts at the Cerro Alto Campground in the Los Padres National Forest about in between Morro Bay and Atascadero on CA-41. The trail is between 4.5 to 6 miles long depending on the starting point. It is a very steep trail, with an elevation gain of about 1650ft. However, the view from the summit, especially on a clear day is absolutely worth it. You can see the California Central Coast from stretching from at least Cayucos to San Louis Obispo with rolling hills in the backdrop. This is one of the few trails in the area which is dog friendly.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

This is a great, and difficult trail. But the views at the top are worth it. On a clear day you get a perfect view of Morro Bay all the way to San Luis Obispo. This trail is in between Atascadero and Morro Bay on highway 41 (also known as Morro road). It's far away from Goleta, CA.