Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Cedar Springs Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Anza, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,692 feet Route Type: Out & Back

It’s a great trail if you want to hike it. If you’re planning on biking it don’t do it. Unless you don’t mind walking half of it. If you don’t mind doing that then it’s worth it just for the view at the top. AMAZING views. The trail starts easy enough through some beautiful terraine. A mile or so into it you start with very rocky trails. Still doable on a bike but then the rocks get bigger and the trail gets narrower. More than half the trail is this way with tons of switchbacks. They’re fun on some areas but like I mentioned earlier you can’t ride up this part.

Only hiked on this trail to the PCT then headed north for several miles. I never made it to the end of Cedar Springa but heard I didn’t miss much! The PCT goes along the mountain ridge and it’s beautiful!

Great trail that was among the very few still open during coronavirus pandemics. 6 easy to moderate miles traversing prairie, creek side, pre-desert foothills with a nice view of Palm Springs, and finally a beautiful cedar grove.

There is plenty of parking just before the trailhead and lots of signage to easily find the trail.. The hike starts off along the stream and there are many mature oak trees which is very beautiful. It’s a gradual climb for about a mile until you come to some switchbacks, which are difficult for me but very easy for my pregnant wife, reportedly. At the top of the switchbacks is the PCT trail. We met some very nice hikers and had a nice conversation. Causing the PCT is another mile to the end of the Cedar Springs Trail. You hike through a fire zone where most of the ribbon woods and oaks are skeletons. We hiked on an overcast and misty day which made it really cool. The trail after the PCT Junction is very lightly trafficked as evidenced by all the overgrowth. when you arrive at the appropriately named Cedar Springs. It’s a beautiful isolated Cedar Grove and small rustic campground that overlooks the Coachella Valley. My wife and I would love to camp here sometime.

Good stuff

Great hike to Cedar Springs. The trail was wet most of the way but well maintained. Snow was heavy at the top and down to Cedar Springs. Beautiful day with plenty colds, a cool breeze and drizzle.

We hiked up the Cedar Springs Trail today (Mar 30th) in an effort to get outside during the Coronavirus emergency. We got to the trailhead at 9 am and hiked all the way to the top of the PC.T. Junction without seeing anyone. While taking a break two PCT Thru hikers heading N/B stopped for a breather and I filled them in on the latest on the virus (from a safe distance). They had been on the trail for a month and didn't know much about what was happening or that the PCT Assoc had recommended all thru hikers get off the trail. It was in the low 60's today and perfect for a hike. We made it over the other side to the spring and took a half hour lunch break in the shade of the Cedars. The spring was flowing good and the water was running clear and cold. I boiled up a cup of coffee using my stove and I have to admit it was a bit chilly in the shade with the breeze kicking up. The climb back up to the PCT Jct. was steep but only took about a half hour. We made it back to the car by 2:30 pm. The trail over the backside was overgrown in spots so we had to plow through the overhanging bushes. We did a thorough tick check when we got home and didn't find any.There were some tiny spots of snow left but none on the trail. There were many spots where the trail was rocky and steep. I'd wear boots instead of trail runners and maybe leave fido at home for this one, its probably gonna be too hot and too hard on his poor little paws. Now is the time to do this hike before it gets too hot or the National Forest Service shuts it down.

Fun hike but the mileage on this app is wrong it’s 3.5 in to the campground area and 3.5 out. So a total of 7 miles. Lots of fun still. super windy, we had 50 mile an hour wind gust. We hiked it in February so the north side of the trail did have a lot of snow and made the steel parts super slippery to climb out. My dog loved the trail but we did find a tick on here because a lot of the plants are over grown into the trail. We for me and my family we love. It means less people come through. We hiked for 2 hours with out seeing anyone and that was great !

Really good way to get up to the PCT. easy (but numerous) switchbacks make for a pleasant climb. Rather than going to Cedar Springs we turned right and went along the PCT thus maintaining our elevation. Would be 5 stars but for the beginning and end which is uneven and rocky.

Sat Apr 27 2019

watch out for rattlesnakes!

Sat Apr 20 2019

Great dog friendly trail with a stream and plenty of elevation. Trail is rocky so it's hard on the knees.

Sat Mar 30 2019

Took the whole family out there including my eight-year-old daughter and stayed overnight at the Cedars. Great one for the family and and there is water in the trough year round pretty much at the Cedars.

Tue Mar 19 2019

I did this trail in March and about 300 ft of the trail was washed out. You'll recognize the washed out section when you find yourself needing to sidestep along the edges of the creek. Some people have continued to follow the creek in this fashion but is not recommended. Disturbing the riparian area leads to further erosion and loss of habitat for smaller lifeforms who are essential to the health of the ecosystem. I took a detour from the beginning of the washed out section heading south about 100 ft to a dirt road; followed the road about 500 ft until I heard the creek again; then bush wacked north until I joined the trail again. It was an easy detour.

Sun Jan 28 2018

Beautiful trail, watch out for bulls! On our way back to the road, we encountered a herd of cattle grazing in the oaks between the 2nd and 3rd gates. The majority had HUGE horns on them. We heard cowbells on a couple, so we figured they were at least somewhat familiar with seeing people, and we calmly and quietly continued on trying not to startle them. They gave us some pretty solid stares as we walked by, but we made it through without upsetting any of them. So keep an eye out, and make sure to abide by the signs and close the gates as you go.

Mon Nov 13 2017

Nice views of the desert cities once you cross the PCT, and nice vistas to the south on the way back down the switchbacks. Lots of mosquitoes and flies once you're at Cedar Springs. 6.6 miles out and back.

6.4 total up and back. nice variety of terrain. Switchbacks made the elevation gain easy. Continue over the top on Cedar Springs trail through burn area, desert views, cedar Grove and spring. Just didn't expect to see big cedars there. Nice prize at the end.

Mon Jul 17 2017

A nice secluded place to camp. Lots of trees and shade at the remote campsites. The spring was still flowing mid July. I'm not sure if it flows year round but it's nice to not have to carry all your water in. The source of the spring isn't very easy to get to. It's in a ditch and there are hundreds of flies, bees, and probably mosquitoes in there with you. It was however the best tasting water and it was cold! I'd recommend filtering it before you drink it.

Mon Apr 17 2017

I've never seen so many butterflies and such a great variety as well!!!! Beautiful hike!

Mon Apr 17 2017

Just did this one on 4/15/17. It was a beautiful day and the views were awesome. There are quite a few switch backs on the way up but the incline was gradual. It is worth it to continue on to the springs. We didn't see much water but the cedar grove was awesome and made it worth it. Would be nice to take a hammock and rest in the shade of the cedar grove.

Tue May 03 2016

Nice hike and great views. Highly recommend going all the way to Cedar Springs. Be careful of the many ants there.

Mon Jan 04 2016

Beautiful mountain hike! Worth it to go all the way to the spring.. Although it was frozen for me in January. Similar in difficulty and terrain to the Ramona springs trail just across the valley.

Mon Jun 08 2015

Great trail, enough shade and plenty more trail if you so desire.

Sat Feb 16 2013

hiking up the west side of the pct and down the east side to the springs was awesome! the transition from mountains to desert along the ridge was way cool. I think I will hike again in spring!

Mon Dec 03 2012

Great trail, hiking down the last mile towards cedar springs I knew that I would have a tough time coming back up but it was well worth it to see the giant cedars! Around 40 degrees I think, very windy, cloudy and misty. Saw a couple with a dog and one other individual hiker, otherwise empty trail! This is probably a moderate trail but if you have a dog pulling you the entire 6 miles up and down with no stopping it becomes a little demanding.

Mon Apr 16 2012

Went up the trail again. In the snow this time. Wow. Hard trip , but well worth it. The snow made everything look so beautiful and serene. Walking under snow laden trees, looking like a winter wonderland in APRIL!

Mon Jan 16 2012

Awesome trail. The switchbacks were a little brutal but a great workout. I met up with several cows and a bull at the picnic table. Had to back down and wait for them to pass on. I was no to sure of the bull so I figured it was better to wait. The hike down to Cedar Springs was the most beautiful hike I have been on yet. Great views and even a little snow. The creek was very low but the camp area there was worth the whole trip. I would do this trail again, but not when it is cloudy/sprinkling and very windy. The top was at least 15 degrees colder and with the wind chill it felt like it was below freezing.