Cave Rocks Loop is a 6.9 mile loop trail located near Sunol, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, rock climbing, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

What a view! This hike gives you a little bit of all the trail types, wide, single track, over grown brush and a nice mix of shade and no shade. The cows were overprotective of their young today and at one point, we had to find an alternate route around the cows. One even chased us for a few second as it had been spooked by someone’s else dog that was not on a leash.

Eagle View was definitely overgrown and scratchy with a steep cliff off the side. Would not want to do this trial if wet.

Only confusing part was at the intersection of Canyon View and McCorkle, go to the left of the tree to head back to the park headquarters. The path looks like it disappears due to the cow prints but it picks up right after.

We saw a group of Elk when we were leaving the park!

Will do this again!

I really liked this hike. I did it clockwise. Eagle View Trail is a bit overgrown. If you have convertible pants, I suggest you use them on this trail if you like to hike in shorts. My legs are scratched up a bit and itchy.

Be aware on McCorkle Trail that there are some single tracks that look like it's a trail. It may well be, for the cows, and I found myself dragging out my gps to make sure I knew where I was going. It ended up okay, but a little unnerving.

I saw turkey vultures, turkeys, quails, and deer. The trails were littered with cow manure. I did not see one bicycle, and just a few hikers. More at the end of my hike than anywhere else.

I will come back in the late fall when its cooler and greener.

great hike with lots of different environments. Saw some cows, one rattlesnake on the side of the trail once the sun was overhead. The view from the top was gorgeous. The only reason for 4 stars is there is a narrow section of the trail that follows the side of a large hill that has heavy brush on both sides. I had ticks crawling up my pant legs with every step. I was in front of my dad which was good because he was wearing shorts. Other than the ticks would definitely do again!

10/10 hike

Great work out! We went on a Sunday afternoon. Once we passed the main attraction, the cave rocks, the crowds died down. We found a shady spot to hang our hammock and rest our feet. Overall, an easy trail with some difficulties and poison oak if you venture off!

Sunday, April 23, 2017

One of my favorite hikes in the East Bay.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Good hike with some cattle on the way .. It was rainy towards the end and met with some really muddy way.. But worth trekking ..

Sunday, April 09, 2017

hiked in the rain, while muddy, it was still amazing! watch out for cow patties!!

Monday, November 21, 2016

As a part of our Sunol Regional Wilderness Loop Hike (8.5 miles), we started at the Indian Joe Creek Trailhead, then we turned to Canyon View Trail, continued onto Camp Ohlone Road, Geary Road, Backpack Road, McCorkle Trail, Eagle View Road, Cave Rocks Road and finally returned to Indian Joe Creek Trail to complete the loop. This hike was an 8.5-mile loop hike (4.5 hours) with a total ascent of 1,900 feet. The scenery was fantastic. The workout was great. Definitely will return.

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Great hike !!!

About 4h to do the loop with 30 minutes break for à pic nic at the top :)
Lots of cows and flowers !
Definitely worth it in spring ( might be yellow, dry and too hot in summer )

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

This is one of my favorite destination hikes in the Bay Area. The hike to get there gets a little steep towards the end and can be pretty tiring if you are not in shape. Once there the fallen rocks offer a number of activities from rock climbing to picnic spots.

rock climbing