Cave of Muntiz via El Escorpion Trail

Cave of Muntiz via El Escorpion Trail is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near West Hills, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

A great hike up into the Cave of Munitz and on to Castle Peak. Climb up through the cave (no gear necessary) and continue hiking up the side of the mountain. The trail is not very clear here, so just keep scrambling upwards until you get to the top of the ridge, and then continue on toward Castle Peak. From there, there will be a clearly marked trail with a steep descent. An adventurous hike well-worth the scrambling.

Just finished this hike, did get turned around a few times as there are a lot of other trails that splinter off, but once we got to the cave it was really neat definitely want to come back and explore more.

Love it

The area would be great BUT I can not understand peoples behavior - I am a dog owner but the one thing is, there is dogs poo everywhere especially at the beginning of the trail, and there IS a trash container there, the other problem is that there are tons of broken glass around so its really danger for animals too - a shame that people use beautiful nature as a trash container - really a shame :/

nice place to hike ..

I like this trail, not really easy but I love climbing. The view was nice, too.

beautiful night hike! 1.8 mile hike. Once reaching the cave and you make it to the top! its all worth it. I love this hike. Beware of Rattle Snakes. I saw two, one under the rocks and the other on the cave. I'll post pictures. Be sure to follow me on I.g skyhighhiking

took a long way to the top . I was able to find the path all the way to the top nice view ..

Great little hike.. but be careful of the rattle snakes!

Nice hike, bring plenty of water and sun screen.

nice hike,Spring is great, because everything is green. made to the caves and to Castle peak.moderate.

Go in the spring, when everything is still nice and green. made it to the caves and castle peak.moderate, bring sun screen and plenty of water.moderate.

very nice hike to the cave .....this app shows no dogs allowed but their is a sign saying dogs are welcome for anyone that wants to take their dog it would be useful if the app showed that

This hike is lovely. There are two trails, basically shaded and not, that run parallel to each other so you can still get to the caves no matter which you choose.

Not too much trash until you hit the turnoff towards the cave. It’s clear where to go as long as you know you have to turn right towards the mountain. There’s a sign detailing the rules of the park on the left - go the opposite way.

Yes there’s trash and graffiti, though not as much as described in some of these reviews. There may have been a clean up since they went. Once inside the cave there isn’t too much trash, but the graffiti is all over. There are also pigeons inside, which startled me at first then was really cool to watch them fly back and forth.

It’s kind of a scramble to get to the caves. Just a somewhat steep walk to get to the entrance but if you want to go inside you’ll need to scramble a bit. It was my first time here and I did this alone so I didn’t make the climb to castle peak - I didn’t want to risk a free climb, even as easy as it is, by myself so I just turned back around. The scramble down is spookier than up.

There’s a bit of traffic but parking is easy. Just park in the neighborhood on vanowen and the entrance is right there. I saw two couples, three dirt bikers, and two or three individuals hiking like myself. If you like to hike alone I’d say go around 7:30 am so the early crowd has left but the later morning crowed hasn’t quite arrived.

Over all - it was beautiful and I’d do it again. I recommend going in spring or after rain so it’s green and not California brown.

This is a fun, quick, and quite easy, hike. a little bit of climbing to get into the cave, but nothing advanced.

A simple walk with a bit of a scramble to get up to the actual cave. A fair amount of traffic most days.

Pretty simple trail, although I did miss the turn to actually go to the caves and had to turn around. There are many different trails in this area, so it is easy to lose track of which one you are on. When I did finally get to the caves, they were quite awesome! A different type of destination than anything else in the area. I’ll definitely be back!

Fun and surprising trail. The Munits cave is a pleasant surprise, going up is not difficult, coming down does need firm grabs and well profiled shoes. Not sure coming down from the other side of the cave is the way complete the trail loop..Will explore in future trips! Lots of hikers with kids and/or dogs, all friendly and nice to have with.

Nice easy beginner trail can be down in an hr

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Poop on the trail. Poop in the cave. View is ok.

Wednesday, October 04, 2017

This trail was gross. The first mile or so is littered with dog poop and trash. The rest of the trail to the caves are covered in broken bottles, trash and, for some reason, clothes. Once you get to the caves L.A.’s finest have tagged and graffitied the rocks and caves. The climb up is fun and a little challenging, but the filth and graffiti really ruin it. Once to the caves I honestly couldn’t wait to leave. For far better hiking go down Valley Circle to Victory and do the Victory Trailhead. If it’s caves and rocks you’re after go up to the 118 and go
To Rocky Peak.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

This hike is really pretty. Cave part is little adventurous. You will love it. You will see pigeons inside the cave. Walk all the way to the top and go back down using another route if possible. Must go hike

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Great views! Loved the rock scrambling! Short hike. Next time I will make it a longer one by taking a trail after the caves.

Monday, September 04, 2017

Great Trail! Clear path to the cave (when you reach the fork you go towards the mountains on the right) once you get to the cave you'll know you're at the right spot b/c there's a lot of trash around (please do your part and help keep our trails clean), it's a lot easier to go up and around the cave than going back down the steep incline/ entrance to the cave if you just want a short hike... or you can keep going up and find the trail to castle peak which will loop you back to the entrance of the park. If you keep going up towards castle peak you'll run into 2 trails: an easy to walk designated trail or the "rocky trail" both run parallel to each other so no matter which one you take you'll get to the same spot. Once you get to castle peak there's a steep trail that leads back down to the trail head just beware of the bee hive

Monday, August 14, 2017

I ran this trail everyday for four years. Not the prettiest unless heart of winter, but great running!

Saturday, July 08, 2017

This hike was tough for me. It was hot for one thing and two that rock climbing was difficult for me my upper body strength was not there but it really is cool to go into the cave and explore it. It's a little difficult to find. When you drive to the park just park in the residential area and follow the paved road and you will find a sign that says the Santa Monica Mountains Park area. you're going to take the road that goes to that right and then if you walk up the incline you'll see the entrance to the cave you can explore inside the cave beware there are pigeons all over the place and It can get a little creepy. But other than that it was really cool.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Super hard if you want to hike up and over the ridge. Scrambling crawling and climbing. Ropes are were needed which really helped! Cave great....If I do it again it will be at sun up not sun down!

Monday, May 01, 2017

Very grassy, but the green grass is becoming yellow and dry. Easy hike, good for walking the dog.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Look out for snakes as I encountered two on the trail recently.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

One of the best hikes I've been on in this area, but be very cautious with all the loose rocks and gravel. I got a little overconfident, and ended up taking a tumble down an embankment. Good shoes and taking it slow in certain areas will be your best bet in tackling this one.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Super easy hike, definitely need shoes with a really good grip going up the cave