Cataract Falls Trail

Cataract Falls Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Fairfax, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Note: Due to the Bolinas Fairfax Road closure it is difficult to get to the beginning of this trail. The closest you can park is near the intersection of Ridgecrest Blvd, which adds a long down and then up segment along the closed road.

Great for kids, creek play, some elevation, variation in the landscape. Our first and third graders loved it.

This was one of my favorite hikes EVER! The first 15 mins, it was raining, windy and freezing. We considered going back. I'm so glad that we decided to push on. Under the canopy of trees was a magical fairy land, dry and very little wind. You hike next to waterfalls the entire time. My only regret is that we didn't pack food to eat half way through, not because we were hungry but because I cannot imagine a better place for lunch.

It was a wonderful experience, all though it was raining all the time. You can find flowing water alongside. It was quite slippery but with shoes with good grip will be fine. I would love to go back again. Totally worth a visit.

Nice walk along water.dog friendly.

Beautiful the entire hike, water is flowing!

Gorgeous hike, really crowded on the weekends though

Kicked my butt coming back up, but it was worth it!

love this trail.

This is by far one of the most beautiful trails I've ever hiked! If you love water and hiking then this trail is for you. Most of the trail runs parallel to a creek. The waterfalls are in full force this time of year because of the rain. The hike down the trail is easy. Heading back up is a bit more challenging. I'm not sure what this trail looks like in the summer, but right now it's full of life (and water). We loved it so much my husband and I have been telling everyone to hike this trail.

Bolinas-Fairfax Road is closed so we had to walk from the intersection up at Ridgecrest Way which added 4 miles to the hike but it was 100% worth the hassle. It was pouring down and the falls were gushing - it was incredible. Highly recommended after big storms.