Cataract Falls and Potrero Meadows Loop

Cataract Falls and Potrero Meadows Loop is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stinson Beach, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Enjoy the beautiful Catact Falls as it drains into the Alpine Lake, Manzinta groves, redwoods, and chaparral biomes offer a plethora of natural habits to relax and enjoy the soothing sighgts and sounds of nauture.

Good moderate uphill or downhill the whole
time.

note the directions that are given, the road was closed to where the trail head started so you ha e to park across from that road and walk about 1.5 uphill or so up the road. then you hit the trail. which is great if you make sure you have plenty of time. we started around 1:30, thinking 3.5 hours as the other hikers said would be fine. well we had to turn around at 5.1 miles in (that includes the road hike to the trail head)so that we would make it out of there by dark . we busted ass back up the stairs we thought we would never have to walk up after walking down them. just make sure to give yourself plenty of time!!

Beautiful hike with lots of different terrain - woods, meadows, and some rocky peaks. Took around 3.5 hours to complete. Majority downhill on the way to Alpine lake (we took the right side of the loop to the lake), and it’s a real butt buster on the way home past Cataract Falls, but beautiful the whole time and almost empty (except for actually at the falls). Definitely will go back!

Excellent hike if you are seeking solitude. I covered over half the trail distance before I passed another hiker. The trail is densely wooded with oak and redwood to the point where you are covered in shade for most of the hike. The trail is very narrow and often covered with leaves and pine needles so a map or the AllTrails app is essential to staying for staying on course. Cataract Falls are ruggedly beautiful with a soothing sound that will put you at peace. As a bonus point, the vistas along the road leading up to the trailhead are the most breathtaking views of the SF Bay I have ever seen. Overall a must experience.

Up or down the entire time but shaded too. One of the best hikes we've done.

I hiked three times there in this spring. I definitely will go back next spring when water is plenty

Awesome, beautiful but can be crowded, especially the Catarack Falls portion... Best to do in the spring.

Really good, solid hike! Has all sorts of terrain and almost everything you can ask for in a hike, including the lake and waterfalls. The water level wasn't ideal at the falls, but it was still worth it. Has lots of shade throughout the hike. I would definitely recommend and do it again!

Great trail. Some challenging parts due to the climb and rocky terrain. Got lost a couple of times and added 30 mins to the hike because we went down Cataract Trail to the Alpine Lake parking lot instead of Helen Market Trail. A couple of confusing junctions at Laurel Dake and at Simmons Trail junctions. Not too bad and probably seemed worse because we were hurting! Would love to do this hike when the waterfalls are really flowing!

An absolutely lovely hike near Mt. Tamalpais. Groves of manzanita, spruce, and redwoods, a lake, waterfalls, and beautiful trail...so much to love about this hike. As others have said, this hike is like walking into a fairytale. In addition, you get to hike on a variety of terrain: dirt, stairs, rocks, and bridges.

Long story short: Do this hike, especially if you've already hiked to Mt. Tam peak and are looking for something different.

The trail is moderate hard in difficulty. My tracker recorded 8.1 miles with 1818 feet elevation gain. It is mostly shaded, which makes it easier. There are several changes in elevation, so your legs will get a good healthy workout. Overall, a good hike for someone comfortable with moderate trails looking to ramp it up a bit, while under cover of shade.

We completed the loop counterclockwise beginning at the Rock Springs trailhead. The Kent Trail on the eastern side of the loop is challenging with several changes in elevation - we went pretty slow on some of the steep downhill sections. We saw very few people on the Benstein/Kent trail, so it was very peaceful. You could hear nothing but wind in the trees and the occasional woodpecker. We picnicked by Lake Alpine and saw only one other pair of hikers as we were packing up to leave toward the falls. Most hikers go and out back to the falls and on to the lake, so I imagine the western edge of the lake is more crowded.

The Cataract Trail on the western side of the loop is cooler as it runs by the creek. Instead of slopes with rocks and dirt (on the Kent trail), it has several flights of stairs to make your way out of the canyon. The Cataract Trail has several hikers just coming up to see the falls, so it was a little crowded.

Even on what would be considered a warm day for Mt. Tam, the trail is mostly shaded, so it felt cool. I didn't need to wear a sunhat, although I always wear sunblock as a precaution as I'm very pale. I am prone to getting bit by bugs, but for whatever reason, I didn't need bug spray on this trail. We did carry some as a precaution.

The trail is located in the Marin Municipal Water District, but it borders Mt. Tamalpais State Park near the Pan Toll Ranger Station. As another reviewer suggested, it is possible to start closer to the falls, so that you can begin with the uphill part of the loop, this will likely add 30 minutes of driving time (coming from most directions). I decided I was up for the challenge of going downhill first - I found I was faster going uphill than down because of the steepness of sections of the trail.

We ended up getting off of the trail at the very end (not sure how), and ended up on the road instead of back to the parking lot. We had to walk on the road for about 400 feet. I'd recommend brining a photo of the map for this trail on your phone. While the trail is well marked, there are several options for veering onto other trails. The one recommended on AllTrails (the one we did) combines several trails:
1) Simmons (very short distance near trailhead)
2) Benstein
3) Kent
4) Helen Market
5) Cataract

I will certainly be back next year for this one. With any luck I'll be fit enough to extend the loop to visit Bon Tempe Lake along the way.

We started the loop at Cataract Trail, from where a 1500ft descent through a decently maintained trail with a lot of staircases leads you to the bottom of the falls. The trail directions seemed a bit messed up so I recommend carrying a map. The second half of the trail is a very good workout, with short bursts of ascents followed by somewhat flat cool down stretches. There is a restroom I have marked on the recording somewhere along the route and there are some at the trail head. There is some argument over the actual distance of this loop. I had 3 devices on me and the distances recorded varied from 7.5 to 8.2miles. This hike is between moderate and hard difficulty so I recommend carrying lots of water and some food to snack on along the way.

Great hike, but a word of caution: this is much closer to the "easy end" of "Hard" rather than a Moderate difficulty trail. You're going to gain a ton of elevation, with almost no let up, on the second half. The listing here is also a little off -- it is closer to 8 or 8.2 miles than 7.5, though the elevation gain is about the same.

Altogether a beautiful hike though. Great scenery, almost entirely shaded, lightly trafficked even on a holiday weekend. Watch out for bugs -- they were really irritating today.

Bring bug spray if you're prone to getting bit. I got about 8 mosquito bites. Did the hike from 10am-1:30pm. Even with scorching temps, the mosquitos were still out.

Rigorous hike! Great views!

Difficulty is more on the hard-moderate scale. Lots of variability in terrain and elevation. Great hike with a beautiful waterfall. I took the hike counter clockwise so got to see the waterfalls early.

Great leg workout. I'd scale this on a higher end of moderate. With various inclines and leveled paths this goes back and forth between easy and hard.

Walking through the forest in the fog is like descending into another realm. Having done this hike clockwise we got to see all the scenes first with manageable inclines going back up.

The loop isn't vague but you pass a lot of intersected trails that can easily throw you off course.

Bug repellent is highly recommended.

Great hike -- lots of trail changes. Be sure to download the map before getting started since there isn't any service at the parking lot.

Beautiful varied terrain. The lake is stunning. Moderately difficult at steeper parts but balanced with flats and downhills.

Definitely not easy. Very good place.