Caswell Short Loop Trail

Caswell Short Loop Trail is a 1.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ripon, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.2 miles Elevation Gain: 13 feet Route Type: Loop

Family-friendly short shaded trail for serenity and a peek or two of the river at Caswell Memorial State Park. The River Bend trail offers a flat windy walk in this riparian habitat. There are a few overlook points that allow visitors to take a peek over the river bends, and part of the trail is ADA accessible. There are a few benches at the junction area with the Gray Fox Trail marking the end of 0.25-mile ADA accessibility, and one has the option to take the extra loop around the 0.4-mile Crow's Loop Trail.

lovely stroll

its a beautiful loop to just take a walk through. great to bring your kids too.

I would reccomend this trail for everyone all ages.

nice run! perfect for kids too, just DONT FORGET YOUR BUG SPRAY.

Nice trail but be careful if you go off trail. There is an abundance of poison oak. The staff was good enough to post signs and caution tape. $10 entry fee is high if you’re only planning on hiking but not bad if you are grilling, fishing or tubing etc.

Beautiful trail along the river! Stayed nice and cool due to lots of trees and shade. Stroller and kid friendly ❤️

Really nice scenic walk. Bug spray is definitely needed. Poison oak as well.

Hiked 3 miles today. Nice hike with no one else here. A lot of downed tree limbs on the trails.

Sat Aug 25 2018

More of a walk than a hike, it's a pleasant way to spend the afternoon. Bring your bug spray because the mosquitoes are crazy bad. There are benches along the way and a good picnic area at the beginning. You'll also find a small beach that's probably very crowded in the summer. The camping area looks decent for both tent and campers. Recommended for beginning hikers and those looking for a good walk along the river.

Tue Jul 17 2018

Good thing about the trail: one of the only tree shaded hikes in the area. Bad thing: $10 to park for a couple of hours of hiking between the trails. Interesting grape vines in a lot of the trees.

Mon May 28 2018

No dogs aloud on trails

Sun May 27 2018

No dogs aloud on trails

Fri Nov 10 2017

I love Caswell. Great pic setting and easy for the kiddos to follow.

Sun Aug 27 2017

shady trails. beautiful walk!

Fri Jun 16 2017

we see see see ss are are ads sees as e see e ad s adds adds s add adds eff s see see s add sw@

Thu Jun 01 2017

The trail was probably really nice, however I had to rush through it because the moment I stepped on the trail, I was swarmed by a bunch of mosquitoes! They were buzzing and biting me the entire trail, I even had to start running down the trail to get away at one point, it was so bad. Definitely bring bug spray if you want to be able to enjoy this trail. The mosquitoes even followed me inside my car, I had to kill several as I was driving away!

Fri May 19 2017

This is a nice little trail that also connects with the other, longer trails in the park. I was the only one in the park during my visit. It was a nice hike.

Thu Apr 20 2017

arrived and then left.... costs to park. no thsnks

Sat Feb 04 2017

Perfect for family. Easy, nice scenery. Only negative would be the $10.00 fee to enter park.

Sun Nov 13 2016

The Mosquitoes ruined it! Like they were hunting in packs

Sun Jul 24 2016

Thanks to the drought anywhere you go around here is dry and less beautiful than It's full potential right now. But if you're anything like me, sometimes it's less about the hike, or the view at the end. Sometimes you just need to get out, away from people, and the hustle and bustle of life. This park is only 15 minutes from my house, and is perfect for those days that I just need a break. I don't know that there is such a thing as a "beautiful view" in ripon, so for what is it, I like it! Very easy! (Both of the trails at that park get the same review, because to me, they are the Same.)

Fri Jan 29 2016

We were a family with 5 kids with us, they all really liked it and it was a great easy trail. When we were there the road was closed going to the trail head so it took us a while to find the trail. We also didn't make the whole loop as a tree had fallen and blocked the path, easy enough to climb over it but I had a baby in a carrier. Beautiful scenery, very quiet, it was just what we needed. Area wasn't super well maintained, I'm assuming because it was the winter.

Sun Nov 29 2015

For a nice quick local place to walk/hike this worked well. You can finish the whole park within 2 hours. I enjoyed the scenery and the trails. It does cost $10 since it's a state park, but I was ok with it. I would Definately recommend if looking for something quick and local.

Mon Oct 05 2015

I got hit in the head with an acorn here and literally saw stars lol. We also saw a fox, which was the highlight of the day. The trails were kinda hard to find and over grown. There's not much to see here, but a nice sandy shore. Wouldn't pay $10 though...

Fri Jul 11 2014

I went with my family including my 3 children. It was our first time there. We found the river with no problem. It was very beautiful there. There was sand all through out the river. The water was shallow and we were able to walk across the river. We spent most of the day there. Our kids loved it there. The scenery is so beautiful. It's like a painted picture. Some of the trails are overgrown. We did not attempt to walk through those trails because of the mosquitoes, ticks, and what ever else lurked in there. If you are going to Caswell, I would mainly go to spend time at the river. There is a picnic area and from the picnic area, we did find a nice trail that led us to the river. During mosquito season, I would recommend wearing some kind of bug repellent.

Fri Apr 18 2014

My boyfriend and I were searching for somewhere to hike around Tracy that wasn't too difficult and we stumbled upon Caswell Memorial State Park. I had high hopes, yet they weren't met. It all started with the entry of the park. It costs $10 to enter the park. There is not even a ranger in the deserted station. You are supposed to leave the cash in an envelope. By the way, there were no instructions on how to pay for a day pass or where to leave it. It took us a bit of searching around to find it. We didn't want to risk getting a ticket for not paying. Once in the park we headed towards the trailhead. I noticed a no dogs sign just as I noticed someone walking with two dogs :(. We chose the trail to the left. It was very well maintained an don't had a lot of wildlife. Not too many bugs, just a lot of ants on the trail. The trail was quite short so once we looped back around we took the fence line trail. It started out somewhat groomed and then grew quite wild with brush overgrown and tons of gnats. We followed the Riverbend trail once it hit a Y. We never found the river :(. Eventually it looped back to the fence line trail. Once we got home I also noticed a tick on me. It must have come from all the overgrown brush on the trail. I will not be coming back here, especially for the price.

Sun Mar 16 2014

Pretty area - mostly wild but right next to an almond orchard. Didn't see a lot of birds, probably due to the time of day, but we did get a glimpse of a Swainson's Hawk and a couple of turkey vultures. Lots of bugs around, though; mostly harmless ones like beetles and gnats, but there were wasps around the entry gate and the dumpster in the parking lot.

Mon Feb 11 2013

For a last minute hiking this is a good place to see lots of birds. You can finish this park in less then 2 hours.

Sun Jun 24 2012

Beautiful trail. I do not suggest taking any dogs (went during June). Unless you want to be picking ticks off you and the dog all night and day.