Castle Valley Loop Trail

Castle Valley Loop Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Soda Springs, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I took this hike with my wife and two boys, 6 and 9. We only did the western side of the loop, going up to the ridge at the join-up with the PCT, which is about 2 miles one way.

The trail itself was mostly a dirt service road. The path was well-maintained, with tree clearing and rocks added at washout points. The snowmelt had been enough to be mostly clear near the bottom, with drifts on the last half mile up to 6 feet near the ridge, but still passable on foot. When you reach the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT), take 5 minutes to go up the ridge for splendid views of Castle Peak and two valleys.

The biggest challenge was poor signage on the route. The forest service signs don't recognize this path, just marking it as a road with no clear connection to the PCT. There are side routes without clear signage. I met someone on the trail who talked about getting lost twice. Fortunately, the AllTrails app was accurate and I was able to use the map via app to make the right decisions at 3 crossings.

I hiked this loop at the end of my work day, I'll definitely be back to check out the surrounding trails. Nice views and easy walk. Trails are well marked but I went the wrong direction a couple times (I wasn't paying attention). I easily got back on track but be aware their are a few other trail heads leading off of this route.

Friday, October 16, 2015