Castle Rock Trail

Castle Rock Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Big Bear Lake, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 833 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Castle Rock trail begins 1.1 miles east of the dam on Hwy 18.

This trail was so much fun! It was rocky and steep and exciting enough to be there for a few hours and still have so much to explore! There are also so many options to change up the trails and make your own! So much fun

Great hike with AMAZING views if you scramble up to the top of Castle Rock using the rope. Great views even if you don’t! Wish the trails were marked better. About 50/50 shade and sun when we went in the early afternoon. Dog enjoyed it. Bring lots of water!!! Enjoy!

This was an awesome trail. I would definitely suggest this trail if you are in Big Bear. The Rock was really big and parts are great to boulder. The only downside of the trail was at some points it was hard to read. There were a lot of interconnecting trails and it was kind of confusing. But overall, a great hike.

I loved the trail, we went off trial to the top of castle rock where you can use a rope to climb to the top. The view is spectacular but must be in decent shape and not scared of heights. Scary to come down the rope but the view was worth every scrap and scratch.

Coming from the North Entrance off Big Bear Blvd the trail is rocky with a decent incline. From the South entrance however, it’s an easy rolling trail on soft ground with fewer people. Both directions have nice scenery but there isn’t a vista at either end so it’s really just a hike to Castle Rock. That being said, Castle Rock is an incredible rock formation with panoramic views of the lake below and well worth the short hike.

Beautiful shade leading to gorgeous views at the end, especially if you climb the boulders to get to the top of Castle Rock. Overall, a short and sweet little hike.

Very rocky. Very steep! I'd of not come if I knew conditions. I'd suggest not bringing small children here. Not my cup of tea!

Great views, especially of Big Bear Lake. Diffinately a moderate climb with a few spots that prove a little challenging for the novice hiker.

We hiked with our dogs to Castle Rock then onto Bluff Lake. It took us aprox 3 hours round trip. First 3/4 of the hike is up rocky trails. Better to start early in summer months. We will do this again!

I enjoyed this hike...specifically the view when I reached the top.

A quick but tough little trail. There isn’t much parking. There’s a little pull out down the road on each side of the trail start but that’s about it. It’s uphill to get to castle rock. The trail isn’t marked well at all and there are a lot of turn offs you can take but if you keep going up you’ll eventually get to castle rock. It is possible to climb to the top just be careful. Views are incredible!!!! Well worth it!

The view is so theraputic!

Heavily trafficked. However, trail marks go in 100 different directions making it easy to get off trail. There are painted rocks left behind as well. Keeps your eyes open.

Fun hike with beautiful views. Very steep going up and down. Castle rock is about the halfway point if you're doing the whole trail. We got to the fire road at the end of the trail and continued right to Bluff lake which is beautiful. Started at around 9 AM so it was very hot and fairly crowded. Parts of the trail are shaded. Bring plenty of water. Trails are not marked that well but we managed to find our way. Parking is on the main road on highway 18 so it is very limited and a bit dangerous crossing the road to get to the trail.

awesome view!

Was a good hike and always like dog friendly trails. bad trail markings. Coming down, I kinda just went till I hit the road.