Castle Dome Trail

Castle Dome Trail is a 8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Castella, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until November.

Very cool. Has views of Shasta throughout hike. Would recommend.

Very vigorous but worth the hike! When you get to the trail end, be sure to climb to the top of the dome!

One of the best hikes out there. Strenuous but well worth the views from the top. Incredible.

Definitely worth it!!! Stunning view when u reached to the top.

Beautiful hike!

The trail head is just off of I5 and you can park for free. As you face the PC trail sign walk left a hundred feet or so to the trail head. The hike was great. Well worth the 2 hour drive. The trail is rated moderate but I would say it is between moderate and hard.

A fun trail with a good bit of elevation gain compared to the distances traveled. Stared just before 11, but with warmer weather coming up I would recommend going earlier! The top has some sweet views and great spots to do some rock climbing and scrambling!

The hike was challenging but AMAZING! Waterproof clothes a must. Tall hiking boots recommended to keep feet dry. Take snow poles for extra support! We went at 10:30 and it was perfect! I would not go any later as it's not safe depending on weather conditions. We started at the vista point and it was like 4.5 miles round trip.

Overall wonderful hike with fabulous views of Shasta and Castle Crags. We went in early March and hit some snowpack about a half mile from the end. It was packed down and quite slippery, so it didn't seem safe to continue. We had hiking boots but no crampons or axes, so we turned around.

The rocky area after the Wilderness marker was a bit tricky. Sometimes it was hard to see where the designated trail was. I'm a bit nervous about heights, but it wasn't bad for me.

We did the Indian Springs spur. It was very warm here (seemed about 75 F) and a nice place for a snack or lunch. Good views here as well, and there is a water source (but I would filter it).

We went slow and were on the trail for four hours.

Beautiful views and a good workout on a well groomed trail. Can't ask for more than that.