Castle Dome Trail

Castle Dome Trail is a 8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Castella, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until November.

Beautiful trail. Worth it!

Beautiful views and well kept trails. This is not a “moderate” hike, it’s definitely hard.

Since the upper lot was full I needed to add an additional mile onto the hike each way which worked out just fine. I believe it ended up being 8 miles total. If you don't want the extra mile, I would recommend going in the morning.

I really appreciated that most of the trail (until the end) was mostly shaded. I loved the second half of the hike, it had beautiful views! You have to be up for some semi scrambling at the end to see the best views. If you scramble around the big tall rocks at the top you'll get breathtaking views of Mt. Shasta.

I'd definitely do this hike again! Next time I would bring a book and lunch so I could enjoy hanging out at the top longer.

Views, easy to follow, options and a great workout

Strenuous! Amazing! Worth it! The closer you get to the top the harder the trail is to follow. But it all worked out! Loved it! Highly recommend it!

We accessed castle Dome trail by driving to Castle Crags State Park. The ranger told us to drive all the way to the Vista Point and the trail is opposite the parking lot. From the vista point, you have to hike 2.8 miles to reach the dome. This is a better approach for us since the trail is challenging because of the elevation gain. You also have to hike rocky and exposed areas. The climb is definitely worth it since you get a great view of Mt Shasta and the dome at the top. On our way back, we went to the vista point which is about 0.25 miles from the parking lot. Don't miss it! Overall, it gives you a total of 6.1miles which is a good day hike.