Castle Crags Trail

Castle Crags Trail is a 7.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Castella, California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and rock climbing.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,611 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Awesome hike!! Been meaning to do this hike for awhile. Did it and feel awesome!!! Didn’t see any bears

Just hiked this trail 9/9/2019 Trail was very hard and strenuous. All up hill. We clocked 4 miles there with the trip to Indian garden. Not much to see there. LOTS of bugs and mosquitoes. We didn’t get bit but they were all around our face almost the whole hike up. We started at 8:30 am. Only seen one other person stayed on crags at end trail for about one hour. My husband went up on top I didn’t. On way down we passed 42 others going up. Kind of late to just get going as we were on trail for 6 hours with picture taking and lunch. Trail up. Not much to see till u get to top Remember when you go straight up you come straight down. My feet hurt more coming down as constant pressure on your toes and knees Lot of trail is no switch backs just straight. When they say strenuous they mean it. 2700 elevation gain in 3.5 miles. View at the Crags spectacular Would give more stars but the bugs made it hard it enjoy as much as we would have liked

this was a tough trail! we got lost at the end so I'm not sure we actually made it to the "end" but the views are pretty incredible! Bring hiking poles and bug spray!!

Amazing view at the top!

Very beautiful! We started well past midday, but that worked out well for us. We took it slow and it was getting dark by the time we got back, but I appreciated the amount of shade, and that we were in the shade of the mountain when by the time we got up there. Definitely recommend going just beyond where the sign says "Trail end" to see the views (but be careful up there, of course) We started from Vista point, as suggested by some other reviews. I'd recommend that too, as it cut off some of the start of the hike's elevation gains. It's unclear from google maps and alltrails map where this "vista point" is, but the rangers will be able to direct you there.

This trail is beautiful from front to back! Getting to the end is well worth the effort! Although the trail is wide, smooth, and under tree cover the majority of the way, the last mile or so is a bear. Rocky and exposed! I was lucky it was warm and muggy (even rained a bit) when did this trail. Wouldn’t want to do it on a hot sunny day. Also, keep in mind you are climbing all the way to the top. This trail does not have the usual ebb and flow of other trails. There are very few flat spots and when there are they are very short. Loved the begging meander up through the forest. I stared at 8 am I think. Only saw one person going up. A handful going down. Great time to go since the kids are back in school and the weather is still good. Wouldn’t want to be here this Labor Day weekend! Forgot to mention. I did the whole trail despite the glitchy recording First time the AllTrails app let me down.

One of my favorite hikes in California! Can’t beat the view! Plenty of shade on the way up, even snow late into the season.

Truly spectacular views just past the trail’s end. There are views of the dome and peaks at several points along the second half of the trail. But you fully understand why the term castle is used when you scramble to the plateau about 200 meters past the official end of the trail. Note that if you start the trail from the vista point parking lot you will shave about two miles off the distance compare to the starting point that AT shows. Given how steep the trail is, I was very happy we started at the vista point lot.

Me (63) and my husband (70) completed this hike today. It kicked our butts, but we loved it. It is a steady uphill climb, with some rock scrambling the last 1/3 of the hike. This hike is not for beginners. Also, on the way down you have to take it slow and easy to climb down all of those rocks you climbed up. Take more water than you think you will need. AND stop often on the way up. Happy Trails!

Awesome hike! Some elevation to get the heart going. Rock formations are beautiful! Definitely recommend.

Fantastic hike. I got there in the morning, and was shaded by the trees for over halfway. Incredible views of Mt Shasta, and my favorite is past the end of the trail just a bit, and over a little ridge. A decent amount of mosquitos, so wear bug spray. Also bring lots of water, I brought about 21 oz and wish I had more

recorded Recording - Jun 01, 02:51 PM

This is a good hike but I would classify it as strenuous. It's a steady climb all the way to the top. The earlier you get there the better as it's cooler in the morning and you can get a parking spot with no problems. I was back at my car by 12:30 and the lot was full. I did not do rock climbing but the dome and crags were beautiful. I met some nice people too.

It’s a steady climb. Gets a little technical due to a transition to some basic rock climbing towards the top.

So beautiful and also so hot. The earlier start you get, the better! Lots of dogwood blooming, but a little too late for a lot of other wildflowers.

No snow April 28, 2019. Gorgeous day. For free parking, use the Castle Dome Trail directions instead. Slightly longer hike, but saves you $8. Plus, sometimes the parking is full at the park's Vista Point.

To me this was a pretty strenuous uphill climb, but WAY worth it. there is quite a bit of snow after the castle crags sign at the top but I made it being careful and was able to get up around the bends to get "the better view" north. This hike was well worth the trip. I wanted to give up a couple times on the way up, but I made it.

More difficult than moderate but quite a nice view of Shasta at the top. Past bit is like walking up a giant staircase with big steps.

Views are awesome and very comfortable trail. Gets steep toward the end and somewhat sketchy. Hard coming down since its a constant decline.

unique area with great views. Leave dog at home:(

Sunday, June 24, 2018

I love this trail went with best pal Eric!

Monday, May 28, 2018

Hiked this trail Memorial Day weekend. The trail was spectacular, offering splendid views of the valley, Mt. Shasta and the Crags. The Indian Springs side trail is short and worth it; the springs are small but gorgeous and the stop offers a different view of the Crags. The hike is a great workout, 3 miles uphill! The upper parking lot is pretty small and the road is one lane, get there early to secure a space. There was a park ranger there directing parking so nobody would get blocked in...very nice.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

AMAZING! Steady incline all the way up. Had to scrabble up rocks during the last bit. Plenty of areas to trek around once at the top. Be sure to grab a photo of the trail end sign. Mostly shade till the last 1/3 and then your so amazed at the view you don't even pay attention. I bet it would be plenty warm in the summer. About 2 hours to get up and that was lots of photos stops.