Castle Crags Trail

Castle Crags Trail is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Castella, California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and rock climbing.

rock climbing

I've hiked this trail twice (both in the Fall of 2017) and loved both trips. Can't wait for the Spring/Summer season 2018 to begin. There is an entrance fee to access the trailhead from within the park. The hike maintains a relatively steep progression for most of the ascent. The final 1/3 of the hike up through the Crags is glorious with wonderful views. At the very top, walk 100 yards past the trail-end and there are a a few rocks that can be climbed with ease for great views of Mt. Shasta. Though be careful, as there is a very sizable drop-off on the other end of the rocks.

Really awesome trail. Went on a clear day and not crowded at all. Take the map that you get from the Forest Rangers as the hike is not clearly marked in certain areas. Highly recommend

Loved every step up and down! So much beauty all around and the view at the top breathtaking!!!! Hit that dome you won’t regret it!

Awesome trail, but the trailhead is not where it is shown here. $8 admission to the park, and use their maps.

This was a great hike. My first hike in a while. I was a bit tired going up but had ample rest in between. I hiked this in March on a Saturday and there were quite a few groups hiking this trail. There was also a bit of snow on the ground and would recommend snow or waterproof hiking shoes with a good grip. Also, check the current US snow cover weather. We witnessed a girl that broke her ankle coming down and had to get airlifted because she wasn’t wearing the proper shoes. Also the snow started to melt late afternoon. Even with my non-waterproof hiking shoes I glided about 10 times. Careful. I would definitely hike this trail again. I love it great views all around.

We hiked to the dome and it did not disappoint!! The hike was a challenge but worth every second! We will be doing this again soon .... before it gets too warm!

Amazing hike the last little bit is the hardest but the views... breath taking

One of the best trails I’ve visited. Highly recommend! We went early April and the conditions were great.

Been up this trail several times in my life - it’s hard but so worth it! Must climb the dome at the end!!

Breath taking views. Up was hell down was merciful. Sore the next day, but very doable for the average in shapeish person.

This is my favorite hike so far. I would do this again.

FYI, I would rate this on the harder end of the moderate scale - the climb can get pretty steep for some extended sections. The views are worth it though. Make sure to bring some cash as you do have to pay for parking when you get in to the park.

Nice hike. Would do again. Popular trail, great views, good incline

Great hike, power through the endless uphill climb, you'll be rewarded with incredible views!

Beautiful hike! We did the 5.7 from the end of the road.

AWESOME!!!

What an experience! We started from the parking lot at the end of the road into the state park, and it ended up being 5.7 miles round trip. The views were superb of mount Shasta, and the trail was well maintained! If you go a little past the end of the trail over a boulder mount Shasta is right there with top notch views! The trail gets steep at parts, but totally worth it! Enjoy!

Twice last year, and made it on top of the dome. It is a magical area.

Great hike. Steep inclines all the way up. Amazing views at the top. Worth it.

on a 100 degree plus day or was a bit more than moderate, but it is also very fun and has amazing views

One of the most beautiful hikes I've done. If you are looking for a challenge this is a must do. Bring lots of water and snacks, especially if you have kids. We did Bob's Hat Trail.

Majestically stunning.

Awesome hike with stunning scenic views of the Shasta mountain with James, Stephie, Lulu!

Well maintained trail. Stunning views of Castle Crags and Mt. Shasta. Some patches of mosquitos along way (note to self: bring repellent next time :-). Was here on a weekday, crossed paths with approximately a dozen other hikers. Highly recommend.

Great views!!!

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Moderate challenge...very warm in summer. crazy views!!

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Great hike, and beautiful!

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

The hike is strenuous, but the trail is well maintained and the views are worth the effort. Clear days afford breathtaking views views of Mt. Shasta to the north.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

The farther I got along this trail, the steeper it got, the better the view and the more pictures I took !!
Can't wait to go back !!

Sunday, September 18, 2016

This hike was probably one of the hardest hikes I've done but worth it! The views are amazing! Bring lots of water!

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

amazing views... incredibly strenuous, but well worth the views. if you go past the top of the hikes look out spot be prepared for a bit of a climb (not bad). wear good shoes and stock up water at the spring on your way up.