Canada Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Castle Crags Trail

Castle Crags Trail is a 7.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Castella, California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and rock climbing.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,611 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Awesome hike! Some elevation to get the heart going. Rock formations are beautiful! Definitely recommend.

Fantastic hike. I got there in the morning, and was shaded by the trees for over halfway. Incredible views of Mt Shasta, and my favorite is past the end of the trail just a bit, and over a little ridge. A decent amount of mosquitos, so wear bug spray. Also bring lots of water, I brought about 21 oz and wish I had more

recorded Recording - Jun 01, 02:51 PM

This is a good hike but I would classify it as strenuous. It's a steady climb all the way to the top. The earlier you get there the better as it's cooler in the morning and you can get a parking spot with no problems. I was back at my car by 12:30 and the lot was full. I did not do rock climbing but the dome and crags were beautiful. I met some nice people too.

It’s a steady climb. Gets a little technical due to a transition to some basic rock climbing towards the top.

So beautiful and also so hot. The earlier start you get, the better! Lots of dogwood blooming, but a little too late for a lot of other wildflowers.

No snow April 28, 2019. Gorgeous day. For free parking, use the Castle Dome Trail directions instead. Slightly longer hike, but saves you $8. Plus, sometimes the parking is full at the park's Vista Point.

To me this was a pretty strenuous uphill climb, but WAY worth it. there is quite a bit of snow after the castle crags sign at the top but I made it being careful and was able to get up around the bends to get "the better view" north. This hike was well worth the trip. I wanted to give up a couple times on the way up, but I made it.

More difficult than moderate but quite a nice view of Shasta at the top. Past bit is like walking up a giant staircase with big steps.

Views are awesome and very comfortable trail. Gets steep toward the end and somewhat sketchy. Hard coming down since its a constant decline.

unique area with great views. Leave dog at home:(

Sunday, June 24, 2018

I love this trail went with best pal Eric!

Monday, May 28, 2018

Hiked this trail Memorial Day weekend. The trail was spectacular, offering splendid views of the valley, Mt. Shasta and the Crags. The Indian Springs side trail is short and worth it; the springs are small but gorgeous and the stop offers a different view of the Crags. The hike is a great workout, 3 miles uphill! The upper parking lot is pretty small and the road is one lane, get there early to secure a space. There was a park ranger there directing parking so nobody would get blocked in...very nice.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

AMAZING! Steady incline all the way up. Had to scrabble up rocks during the last bit. Plenty of areas to trek around once at the top. Be sure to grab a photo of the trail end sign. Mostly shade till the last 1/3 and then your so amazed at the view you don't even pay attention. I bet it would be plenty warm in the summer. About 2 hours to get up and that was lots of photos stops.

Monday, April 30, 2018

Loved this hike! Went in February 2018 and there wasn’t any snow on the trail but some on the mountain tops. It was a great workout being all uphill and we took several side forks to see more of the beautiful rocks! Overall from our campsite below it took about 2 hours to the top. There wasn’t many others on the trail probably due to the time of year. This is one of my favorites if not my very favorite hike so far as the views were spectacular and plentiful!

Thursday, April 26, 2018

did mid-late april, and it was beautiful out

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

I've hiked this trail twice (both in the Fall of 2017) and loved both trips. Can't wait for the Spring/Summer season 2018 to begin. There is an entrance fee to access the trailhead from within the park. The hike maintains a relatively steep progression for most of the ascent. The final 1/3 of the hike up through the Crags is glorious with wonderful views. At the very top, walk 100 yards past the trail-end and there are a a few rocks that can be climbed with ease for great views of Mt. Shasta. Though be careful, as there is a very sizable drop-off on the other end of the rocks.

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Really awesome trail. Went on a clear day and not crowded at all. Take the map that you get from the Forest Rangers as the hike is not clearly marked in certain areas. Highly recommend

Sunday, April 22, 2018

Loved every step up and down! So much beauty all around and the view at the top breathtaking!!!! Hit that dome you won’t regret it!

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Awesome trail, but the trailhead is not where it is shown here. $8 admission to the park, and use their maps.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

This was a great hike. My first hike in a while. I was a bit tired going up but had ample rest in between. I hiked this in March on a Saturday and there were quite a few groups hiking this trail. There was also a bit of snow on the ground and would recommend snow or waterproof hiking shoes with a good grip. Also, check the current US snow cover weather. We witnessed a girl that broke her ankle coming down and had to get airlifted because she wasn’t wearing the proper shoes. Also the snow started to melt late afternoon. Even with my non-waterproof hiking shoes I glided about 10 times. Careful. I would definitely hike this trail again. I love it great views all around.

Monday, April 09, 2018

We hiked to the dome and it did not disappoint!! The hike was a challenge but worth every second! We will be doing this again soon .... before it gets too warm!

Tuesday, April 03, 2018

Amazing hike the last little bit is the hardest but the views... breath taking

Monday, April 02, 2018

One of the best trails I’ve visited. Highly recommend! We went early April and the conditions were great.

Friday, March 30, 2018

Been up this trail several times in my life - it’s hard but so worth it! Must climb the dome at the end!!

Friday, March 30, 2018

Breath taking views. Up was hell down was merciful. Sore the next day, but very doable for the average in shapeish person.

Monday, March 19, 2018

This is my favorite hike so far. I would do this again. FYI, I would rate this on the harder end of the moderate scale - the climb can get pretty steep for some extended sections. The views are worth it though. Make sure to bring some cash as you do have to pay for parking when you get in to the park.

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Nice hike. Would do again. Popular trail, great views, good incline

Monday, January 01, 2018

Great hike, power through the endless uphill climb, you'll be rewarded with incredible views!