Castle Crags Trail is a 7.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Castella, California that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and rock climbing.

rock climbing

Views are awesome and very comfortable trail. Gets steep toward the end and somewhat sketchy. Hard coming down since its a constant decline.

unique area with great views. Leave dog at home:(

I love this trail went with best pal Eric!

Hiked this trail Memorial Day weekend. The trail was spectacular, offering splendid views of the valley, Mt. Shasta and the Crags. The Indian Springs side trail is short and worth it; the springs are small but gorgeous and the stop offers a different view of the Crags.
The hike is a great workout, 3 miles uphill! The upper parking lot is pretty small and the road is one lane, get there early to secure a space. There was a park ranger there directing parking so nobody would get blocked in...very nice.

AMAZING! Steady incline all the way up. Had to scrabble up rocks during the last bit. Plenty of areas to trek around once at the top. Be sure to grab a photo of the trail end sign. Mostly shade till the last 1/3 and then your so amazed at the view you don't even pay attention. I bet it would be plenty warm in the summer. About 2 hours to get up and that was lots of photos stops.

Loved this hike! Went in February 2018 and there wasn’t any snow on the trail but some on the mountain tops. It was a great workout being all uphill and we took several side forks to see more of the beautiful rocks! Overall from our campsite below it took about 2 hours to the top. There wasn’t many others on the trail probably due to the time of year. This is one of my favorites if not my very favorite hike so far as the views were spectacular and plentiful!

did mid-late april, and it was beautiful out

I've hiked this trail twice (both in the Fall of 2017) and loved both trips. Can't wait for the Spring/Summer season 2018 to begin. There is an entrance fee to access the trailhead from within the park. The hike maintains a relatively steep progression for most of the ascent. The final 1/3 of the hike up through the Crags is glorious with wonderful views. At the very top, walk 100 yards past the trail-end and there are a a few rocks that can be climbed with ease for great views of Mt. Shasta. Though be careful, as there is a very sizable drop-off on the other end of the rocks.

Really awesome trail. Went on a clear day and not crowded at all. Take the map that you get from the Forest Rangers as the hike is not clearly marked in certain areas. Highly recommend

Loved every step up and down! So much beauty all around and the view at the top breathtaking!!!! Hit that dome you won’t regret it!

Awesome trail, but the trailhead is not where it is shown here. $8 admission to the park, and use their maps.

This was a great hike. My first hike in a while. I was a bit tired going up but had ample rest in between. I hiked this in March on a Saturday and there were quite a few groups hiking this trail. There was also a bit of snow on the ground and would recommend snow or waterproof hiking shoes with a good grip. Also, check the current US snow cover weather. We witnessed a girl that broke her ankle coming down and had to get airlifted because she wasn’t wearing the proper shoes. Also the snow started to melt late afternoon. Even with my non-waterproof hiking shoes I glided about 10 times. Careful. I would definitely hike this trail again. I love it great views all around.

We hiked to the dome and it did not disappoint!! The hike was a challenge but worth every second! We will be doing this again soon .... before it gets too warm!

Amazing hike the last little bit is the hardest but the views... breath taking

One of the best trails I’ve visited. Highly recommend! We went early April and the conditions were great.

Been up this trail several times in my life - it’s hard but so worth it! Must climb the dome at the end!!

Breath taking views. Up was hell down was merciful. Sore the next day, but very doable for the average in shapeish person.

This is my favorite hike so far. I would do this again.

FYI, I would rate this on the harder end of the moderate scale - the climb can get pretty steep for some extended sections. The views are worth it though. Make sure to bring some cash as you do have to pay for parking when you get in to the park.

Nice hike. Would do again. Popular trail, great views, good incline

Great hike, power through the endless uphill climb, you'll be rewarded with incredible views!

Beautiful hike! We did the 5.7 from the end of the road.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

AWESOME!!!

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

What an experience! We started from the parking lot at the end of the road into the state park, and it ended up being 5.7 miles round trip. The views were superb of mount Shasta, and the trail was well maintained! If you go a little past the end of the trail over a boulder mount Shasta is right there with top notch views! The trail gets steep at parts, but totally worth it! Enjoy!

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Twice last year, and made it on top of the dome. It is a magical area.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Great hike. Steep inclines all the way up. Amazing views at the top. Worth it.

Monday, July 10, 2017

on a 100 degree plus day or was a bit more than moderate, but it is also very fun and has amazing views

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

One of the most beautiful hikes I've done. If you are looking for a challenge this is a must do. Bring lots of water and snacks, especially if you have kids. We did Bob's Hat Trail.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Majestically stunning.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Awesome hike with stunning scenic views of the Shasta mountain with James, Stephie, Lulu!

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Well maintained trail. Stunning views of Castle Crags and Mt. Shasta. Some patches of mosquitos along way (note to self: bring repellent next time :-). Was here on a weekday, crossed paths with approximately a dozen other hikers. Highly recommend.