Cascade Canal Trail is a 8.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nevada City, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.6 miles Elevation Gain: 547 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Very nice, flat, walking trail. Lots of tall trees and good amounts of shade. We saw a few mountain bikers that easily passed us. We will definitely come back with our bikes. There are a couple of spots where you will have to carry your bike over a metal bridge but no biggie. We didn’t notice any mosquitos until we stopped to eat, then we started getting bit. Great place for a pretty walk. We parked on the shoulder just past the trail head.

Perfect ride for my 7, 11 & 13yo! Nice and mostly flat, interesting enough to keep it fun to keep moving.

We started at the Gracie Road trailhead. This trail is very pretty along the canal and very easy for a nice walk. The canopy is beautiful and provides a comfortable environment in the shade. There are a few places off to the side where, if you bring your lunch or a snack (we always do), you can have a very nice “picnic” if you like. No tables so we bring a couple of towels and sit. The sound of the water is very relaxing and very enjoyable along the trail. We ran into a couple of bike riders, or rather they almost ran into us. There are some areas of the trail that are not conducive to both bike riders and hikers together - too narrow. Otherwise, we had a very pleasant walk and will definitely come back!

I wanted to get out of my house for a little bit but didn’t want to go on a strenuous hike in the mountains. I started my hike at the Red dog Road trailhead. There isn’t a parking lot, you just park on the side of the road immediately after you see a gate on your right hand side that says “Public Parking Prohibited.” I’m assuming that’s to prevent people from parking in front of the gate because even the Nevada County websites advises you can park on the shoulder. The pictures don’t do this place any justice. The trail is gorgeous and the majority of it runs along a canal so the sound of water is so peaceful. The trail is very flat, so it’s great for all skill levels. We saw walkers, runners and bikers. Also a lady with a stroller but she was struggling so I wouldn’t suggest that. Just follow the water. There are places that the water goes into pipelines and the dirt trail goes a different direction. It wasn’t until I got off track that I realized that some of the pipelines actually have platforms that are part of the trail and will take you to where the dirt trail picks up. I went about 2.5 miles in then turned back because I had planned to stop at a swimming hole as well but I will definitely be back and plan on starting at the Gracie Road trailhead.

Great trail-however, I was the only one on a mountain bike. This trail is mostly for walkers and runners.

Clean, easy, and mostly flat. I found this while visiting a friend and got a nice jog in that day.

Nice, well maintained, easy, and flat trail. Kinda boring so we turned around halfway, didn’t see any particularly awesome views or features in the first half. Seems like it would be great for an outdoor run, but if you’re looking for vistas this might be somewhat anticlimactic.

This trail is very flat, beautiful, nice view, great for kids, dogs and families.

9.3 miles for full trail. Easy level.

Great Trail! We had so much fun! Trail is great shapr and perfect for older people and kids. Little snow but not hindrance.

Yes this is a flat trail, no it is not ideal for strollers... had to learn that the hard way. It made this hike a lot more challenging than it actually is, so don’t bring a stroller fellow parents! This trail was so beautiful. Some snow but no problem if you got good shoes. More people started showing up as we were leaving so I recommend to go early to keep up with the social distancing.

Lovely, easy trail. This would be perfect for training with a weighted pack for backpacking. It’s also perfect for a leisurely stroll. Super easy.

Not too much of a hike. Nice place to take someone for a long talk or a dog walk. The path was very clear. Heavily trafficked. Definitely could take people of all ages. ↟

great for dogs and kids. beautiful views and a crystal clear canal trickling along side most of the way. some very subtle hills but joggable for beginners

Truly enjoyed this easy trail. Even on a windy and chilly day, it was a comfortable, pleasant walk. We followed a few different paths and completed 6 miles. Well traveled by others but wide enough path, no issues. We will be back when we just need some easy steps. The color changing trees was a pleasant view as well. Small parking area and close to private properties but separated by the canal and enough distance to still feel secluded yet safe.

Nice and easy trail, way close to civilization on the back half. Good place for younger kids. Very shady.

Good walking trail Lots of shade. Easy walk.

nice and quiet ! shaded. would definitely come back. kids loved it.

Very peaceful trail along the canal. There is shade the whole way and the rushing water keeps you cool and refreshed!

beautiful

Awesome trail. Easy hike as it is flat. The trail had lots of shade. We didn't get there until late in the day. I believe the weather was cooler than usual. We didn't see many people. All in all a wonderful hike and would highly recommend.

I’m here at least once a week. A great trail under the old growth during on hot days. Water for dogs to swim in. You can go up to 8 miles or just turn around when you like!

Sun May 05 2019

Trail was a nice level hike along a canal the whole way. A very pleasant afternoon walk.

Sun Apr 28 2019

Nice flat trail with trees providing partial shade the entire way. There are half mile markers along the way so you know how far you've walked, in case you don't want to walk the entire way (it's an out-and-back trail). The trail doesn't have any scenic view points, but there are many pretty wild flowers (I hiked in April) and it's a very peaceful trail. There are also some very cool bridges along large pipes that provide photographic interest. You will most likely see other hikers, joggers, bikers, and many hikers with dogs. Some dogs are leashed, some are not, but the unleashed dogs we came across were all very well behaved. I might hike this trail again during the summer, since it's so well shaded!

Sun Apr 07 2019

nice n flat

Fri Apr 05 2019

Nice, easy trail. Walking the whole thing is a chore for newer hikers, since it is 9ish miles, but it is totally worth it. About 2/3 of the dogs you will meet are unleashed, unfortunately. The Orlene Weatherall sidetrail is tougher, though, and quite a bit more difficult for a newbie. Will hike again.

recorded Cascade Canal Trail

Sat Mar 09 2019

Please, fellow hikers, please leash your dogs. Your dogs right to freely run is not more important than my right to walk on this trail without fear of being attacked by your out of control dog. There are so many reasons why leashing your dog makes you a good neighbor and so many reasons why not leashing your dog makes you part of the reason why your neighbors don’t feel safe. Your dog is not entitled to free run of our local trails. Rant over. Enjoy your walk.

Mon Jan 21 2019

This path provides a super easy and scenic stroll. It attracts many families and folks with their dogs. There is a large canopy that provides a lot of shade for those especially hot months and the path is large enough to accommodate people coming and going either on foot or on bike.