Careys Castle Trail is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mecca, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,276 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Users have reported closures on the trail. This is a unique desert "castle", off-trail canyon hike.

Sun Nov 04 2018

This trail is still closed. Security pulled up immediately and told us it was a private road and there is no access to trail.

Wed Apr 26 2017

Great little hike, went to his castle and to the nearby mine. Very pretty, wasn't as hot as I thought it would be. Signed the register and ate my lunch.

Thu Mar 02 2017

This trail is closed till further notice by the park service. It is also patrolled regularly.

Wed Nov 23 2016

If you study the maps available online, you won't have trouble finding Carey's Castle. Once you enter the main canyon, just remember to staff left for the first two forks, and then right for the third. The foot prints make it pretty obvious. The "castle" is interesting, but the hike would be worth it without it. Walking in the sand/gravel does get a little old after a while. I found out after the fact that the park service have closed the area due to looting (oops). So, you may want to check with the park first.

Mon Feb 29 2016

Had a good hike I missed the turn off and had to backtrack a little still all and all I would recommend it. Don't think I would call it a hard hike it's a little tough on the legs with the sand/gravel but pretty easy to deal with.

Tue Oct 20 2015

Great hike

Fri Sep 25 2015

I enjoyed it very much. The weather was 98* and clear blue skies. A GPS is a must.

Wed Aug 14 2013

I tried this hike last March with some friends, and it was a pretty difficult hike. We went without a map and didn't find the castle. Would love to try again with the proper map or GPS. Most of the hike is a wash and there isn't much of a trail. We did lots of scurrying over boulders and sliding down rocks.

Tue Apr 02 2013

The trail is though a wash the whole way up/down, so gators, high boots or long pants are advised to keep out the sand. The "castle" is not as marked on the map, but with a little searching you will find it. Map and/or GPS will help you from getting turned around in the maze of canyons.

ohv/off road driving