Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Cardiac Hill

Cardiac Hill is a 4.4 mile loop trail located near Auburn, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Please be aware of the self registration fee of $10 for parking/day use. The hike starts off flat along a connector path by a drainage canal then there’s a steep descent to the river in a series of cutbacks. The river views at the bottom are worth it and there is a picnic table. It’s easy to go along the rocks to the rivers edge. The hike back up is a bit of a scramble, especially if it’s rained recently. It was a great workout. This trail lives up to its name in getting your heart rate up! If you bring your dog, be aware that they will need to be somewhat agile.

Great hike! Beautiful views. Fairly steep inclines and slightly slippery after a rain.

Perfect hike for a slightly rainy day. Note: the trail leads into private property while on the upclimb, right before you hit the canal!

Did this hike on a rainy day, it was lovely and not too strenuous. Highly recommend.

steep hills, beautiful scenery.

This is the first and last hike my mom chose for us. It’s a good fun workout but more than she bargained for. I would rate this hike as hard even it is on the shorter side. It starts off flat along a connector path by a drainage canal then there’s a steep descent to the river in a series of cutbacks. The river views at the bottom are worth it and there is a picnic table. It’s easy to go along the rocks to the rivers edge. The hike back up is a bit of a scramble, especially if it’s rained recently. I had to pick my small breed dog up over lots of steep drop offs and roots in the hillside but it was a great workout. This trail lives up to its name in getting your heart rate up!

Great hike, great workout. I enjoyed walking along the flume and the river access. My dogs came back with a bunch of ticks :( I suppose to be expected. We went late afternoon on a Saturday and were able to park down the street and walk up to the trailhead.

Great hike with pretty views. We went on MLK (Jan 21st). Temperatures were below 50 during the hike but it felt much warmer than that. A little slippery here and there right now but all manageable. Watch out for ticks, our dog caught more than 10 within 2 hours. Also be aware of the self registration fee of $10 for parking/day use.

Great trail at the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas. Trail goes from the foothills to the American River and ends at the border of Folsom Lake State Park and Auburn State Park.

I'ma give five stars. This is a fun hike. It's actually a bit challenging - - pretty steep.. even the descent will wear on those out of shape. I've done it a few times now and it's become a great hike to build cardio up. I always start off at the top and go down to the water and back up. Next time I'll try doing it two times.
Also beyond the work out, this hike has times where you have beautiful views, mostly shady and at the bottom is the river. So all around its a great hike.

Steep and a bit unforgiving if you're not in reasonably good shape. You do have a couple of options in your ascent of the hill to lessen the steep grade, but even then it's a good workout.

Trail was fun and challenging. Took the road back up as the downhill kicked my butt, but it still was a challenge getting back up the hill! Definitely going to do this one again and see how I improve!

Awesome evening/night hike here today. The cardiac part is no joke. Will definitely do it again. Looking forward to doing during the day so I can see exactly how insane the hill is. Used headlamps and flashlights. Was fun. Tons of rocks. Wear hiking shoes for sure. Bring lots of water.

The cardiac portion is on par with training hill plus a lot of technical aspects due to rocks. It connects to Rattlesnake Bar once at the river. I absolutely loved it. If you’re looking for a good workout with rewarding views, it’s perfect. The river areas has a lot of access and even beach areas. My boyfriend jumped in for a quick swim to cool off. There are “bypasses” for cardiac trail that are well marked and nice if you want to take a less technical trail in spots, but the incline is still the same for the most part.

Dope stuff

Finally found a trail that rivals the Rim trail at Lafayette Reservoir. We took Cardiac Bypass this first time but will go all the way down to the water our next time. Moderate if you are comfortable with hills. Definitely bring water and wear trail shoes. It was worth the 25 minute drive.

nice wooded hike though steep. worth it if you live nearby but not a destination

I only did the beginning of this trail along the canal near gate 146. Limited by time.

Wear good shoes! It’s super duper slick. I almost fell a handful of times

Nice hike! Bring plenty of water. Had to hike about a mile and half from where we parked through cardiac bypass trail but pretty enjoyable.

Beautiful, definitely worth the hike down to the water. The uphill was challenging. I do not recommend for little kids or elderly.

THIS TRAIL IS ABSOLUTE HELL! If anyone tells you otherwise, you need to re-evaluate your relationship with that person. I nearly died halfway through for guess what, CARDIAC ARREST! This hill don’t mess around. I did see a few dope ass catapillars. If you do decide to try and conquer this hill I would highly suggest bringing a highly trained paramedic or even better a cardiac doctor. HAPPY HIKING!

Loved this trail! Park down the road for free parking.

Did have 2 ticks on me when I got home, but the doggos love the trail.

I love this trail! The view of the river is breathtaking!