Learn more

Cardiac Hill is a 4.4 mile loop trail located near Auburn, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.4 mi Elevation gain 964 ft Route type Loop

Wildlife

Fee

Description
Waypoints (4)

Please be aware of the self registration fee of $10 for parking/day use. The hike starts off flat along a connector path by a drainage canal before a steep descent to the river in a series of cutbacks. The river views at the bottom are worth it and there is a picnic table. It’s easy to go along the rocks to the rivers edge. The hike back up is a bit of a scramble, especially if it’s rained recently. It's a great workout. This trail lives up to its name in getting your heart rate up! If you bring your dog, be aware that they will need to be somewhat agile.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (365)
Photos (296)
Recordings (262)
Completed (477)
Lauren Chambers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 11 2020
HikingRocky
View Lauren's Recording
Erini Misthos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 10 2020
Hiking

Beautiful hike that pans into the river. Perfect to bring a lunch down with you and jump in the water! Our dog was pretty exhausted though so make sure you have a doggy bowl.

View Erini's Recording
Everardo Sanchez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 04 2020
HikingFeeOver grownRockyScramble

Make sure you have plenty of time to get lost because there’s so many trails that take you to the same place

View Everardo 's Recording
Desiree Diamond
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jul 04 2020
FeeGreat!RockyScramble

great hike! Definitely challenging for beginners, but the views and river make it worth the challenge. its about 2.4 miles down and then you have to climb that back up. Will definitely be tackling this one again.

Angela Good Borchert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 03 2020

My 15yo daughter and I completed this hike on 7/1/20. We are both in pretty good shape, but this was a very challenging hike-especially the walk back up. I definitely recommend hiking shoes and plenty of water. The reward of being able to sit by the river at the bottom of the hike was well worth it. Not too many hikers during the middle of the week but I can see this being popular on a weekend.

Casey Brewer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 30 2020
Hiking

Awesome hike! Down hill till the water then up hill back up. You can park on the road after the turn in for the trail.

Emily Mao
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 28 2020
HikingFeePrivate propertyRockyScramble

6/28/20 arrived in the parking area around 1pm.. paid the self registration and dropped info in box with $10 payment. there is a porta potty in the parking area which was surprisingly clean! I made sure I read reviews before arriving. the trail started aside a canal which started out from the parking lot which you definitely can't miss. you walk about almost a mile then that's when the decline starts and once it starts it goes drastically pretty quick. Me and my husband is pretty fit so we didn't struggle much but I do have knee issues so I made sure I wore knee braces which I'm so glad I did! took us about 85 mins to go down (we were taking our time). we did wear hiking shoes which I am so glad I did because there is a lot of rocky areas! it was about 85° today so it wasn't to bad at all. there is also a second porta potty when you arrive at the pioneer trail gate parking lot which is more towards the end of the trail. when we arrived to the river omg it was so beautiful!!!! we were so happy we wore out swim clothes underneath our hiking outfits. so we found a spot ate a small lunch then took a dip in the river. one thing I'd recommend is to make sure if you bring any snacks they are zipped away because a random dog came and ate our snacks! so just a fyi!!! other than that the river was amazing and it was totally worth the hike!!!! if you decide to come make sure you bring sunblock. there wasn't to much bugs throughout the trail at all. it took us about 50 mins to hike back up and to our car.

View Emily's Recording
Denise Zboralske
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020
Hiking

Pick up trail right from parking lot. Very easy to miss. Really pretty walking along the canal. Hike up is a great workout.

Trevor Stewart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 24 2020
Hiking

Awesome trail. If you get there at a decent time in morning can park for free along highway instead of paying 10 bucks to park inside the recreational area. A bit of an extra walk in but you’re going there to walk anyway right? This trail was quite a workout but enjoyed getting down to the water and jumping in. Super refreshing. The hike back up is pretty strenuous, but satisfying once you reach the top. Great area, need to find maybe easier trails to take my young kids but for me this was awesome

Rayna Fambrini
Hiking

Dogs loved it! Tough but great hike.. definitely lives up to the name.

View Rayna's Recording
Aubrey Hess
HikingFeeRocky

The way y'all describe it is an insane incline only passable by mountain goats. Not true, however, it is indeed kick in the butt! Worth it for some absolutely beautiful river access. Wear good shoes and watch your step as you should with any trail. Coming back up if you pace and take needed breaks you'll be fine! Visited here 6/24 and parked on the road. 10 fee for parking lot. Missed the trailhead for the Shirland Canal and walked down the paved road a bit but found an opening to Cardiac anyway. On the way back returned on canal route. Cardiac connects to pioneer express which leads down to the water. Absolutely gorgeous! Kick off your shoes and soak your hooves a while before making the trek back :)

View Aubrey's Recording
Isabel G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 22 2020
HikingFeeOver grownRocky

This trail lives up to its name! I’m not a hiker nor an athlete but I love the outdoors and taking long walks. This trail kicked my butt both ways but it was totally worth it. Wear good hiking shoes, bring lots of water, snacks and maybe even swimwear. We stopped to hang out at the river for a bit and hunger kicked in despite the snacks I had already eaten. I died to whole way up but in a good way. If you like a challenge, this trail is for you!

Josephine Torres
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 20 2020
HikingBugs

So pretty!!! Access to water. Will be back. Cool place. Completed 6/17/2020

Jessica Ellen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 15 2020
Hiking

Super awesome trail, plenty of shade and a beautiful river to enjoy at the bottom before going back up. Make sure you wear hiking shoes for traction. Wish it never ended. Nice elevation change.

Jonathan Gonzalez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 14 2020
HikingBlowdownPrivate property
View Jonathan's Recording
Josanne English
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 13 2020
HikingRocky
View Josanne's Recording
Hank Moreira
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 13 2020
Hiking

Great hike that begins with a serene stroll along the flume and then straight downhill to the American River--a great rest point to relax and cool off. Then back up the hill and ending with the return to the serene flume stroll. I gave it 4 stars because it's a pretty challenging hike due to the rockiness and extreme elevation change. I definitely would not rate this as moderate--maybe for a youngster.