Caples Creek Loop Trail

Caples Creek Loop Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kyburz, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is best used from March until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Kyburz: Follow the Silver Fork Rd. for approximately 10 miles turning left just before Fitch Rantz Bridge onto a 4-wheel drive road which leads 1/4 mile to the trailhead.

Trip #3

So beautiful - even on a hot day the trail stays fairly cool because it's mostly shaded.

We had an amazing time!! My first backpacking trip and I am hooked!

This trail is gorgeous! Lots of flowers, can hear the creek the majority of the time and at times take in stunning views of the creek, medows. This trail is mostly in the shade which is a big + on hot days. Happy trails!

Yes Hannah. There is a beautiful place to camp if you take the loop clockwise all the way to Caples Creek 1/2 way through the loop just past Government Meadow. Then follow the creek down stream until you see the down tree to cross and after crossing go back up stream to the sandy beach at the creek's bend. There's also many other great spots along Caples Creek. Enjoy!

Caples and silver fork were huge! We made it to the crossing just past Governor’s Meadow. When you get to the creek you need to head right about a hundred yards. You'll have to scramble over a small side creek before getting the crossing on the huge log to make it to the other side of Caples creek.

Brian Foote, did you see places to camp if we were to backpack and stay somewhere on the trail overnight?

Thanks!

Maybe the best trail I've hiked in the last 25 years. Hats off to the trail maintenance crew with all the down trees from this past heavy winter. Made the 9 mile loop. Water was raging!

Toni MacKinnon, I went clockwise and ended up finding a crossing memorial weekend as I camped out for two days.

Beautiful scenery, great 3-4 hour hike. The crossing at the half way point is a large fallen tree. If you're looking for a second bridge, we didn't find it. Very easy to cross when you find it the log. Came across 3 rattle snakes on the trail. Keep a close eye on the trail. Scenery and water flow is amazing. Little snow left at 6900 ft.

Absolutely gorgeous and so much water!! Be sure you bring mosquito repellent

Bob Williams,

Which direction did you go when you did this? Thanks!

Toni

I've went twice. Loved it. Saw a huge bear in the first meadow. I'm not able to find a crossing at the point where the trail is supposed to come back down. I had to retrace my steps to get back. Maybe during low water you can wade across. In May 2017, no way.

Absolutely amazing hike. This is our second time and we love it!!!!!

solid