Caples Creek Loop Trail

Caples Creek Loop Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kyburz, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is best used from March until February. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Kyburz: Follow the Silver Fork Rd. for approximately 10 miles turning left just before Fitch Rantz Bridge onto a 4-wheel drive road which leads 1/4 mile to the trailhead.

I enjoyed this hike. I kept track of distance on my Fitbit and it said it was 10.6 miles. For the most part it’s a easy walk. Be prepared for the switch backs. Parts of the trail are a little confusing, but great scenery!

It was 100* plus degrees in Sacramento. So we decided to head up the hill towards Tahoe. We found this trail and truly enjoyed it. Rivers, meadows, beautiful tress with very interesting bark. Mostly shade. We decided to do the loop. 9.3 miles with some very steep switch backs more then half way through. We were exhausted. It took us 4 1/2 hours. We are in pretty good shape but new to hiking.
I think when we do it with friends we'd go out and back. Not do that loop. It climbs to 1700 ft elevation
But this hikes tops our list of favorites

Trip #3

So beautiful - even on a hot day the trail stays fairly cool because it's mostly shaded.

We had an amazing time!! My first backpacking trip and I am hooked!

This loop trail has a little of everything I love about hiking in the lower Sierra. Access is easy, the trail is in decent shape, the views are fantastic, wild flowers are everywhere, and wildlife is abundant. Access to water is plentiful. Backpacking is easy and good camping spots are easy to find. If I had any complaint it would be that horse traffic chews up the trail surface a bit, but this is normal in this area.

This trail is gorgeous! Lots of flowers, can hear the creek the majority of the time and at times take in stunning views of the creek, medows. This trail is mostly in the shade which is a big + on hot days. Happy trails!

Yes Hannah. There is a beautiful place to camp if you take the loop clockwise all the way to Caples Creek 1/2 way through the loop just past Government Meadow. Then follow the creek down stream until you see the down tree to cross and after crossing go back up stream to the sandy beach at the creek's bend. There's also many other great spots along Caples Creek. Enjoy!