Indian Joe Creek Trail

Indian Joe Creek Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sunol, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike and the weather was perfect.

Went on this trail right after spring rains in 2017. plenty of water in the creek pretty awesome cause the trail goes along right next to it for most of the way. nice and green after so much rain.

This trail is closer to 4 miles than 5.5. It is a climb but you get to cruise on the way down, kind of a fun figure eight Loop with an awesome farm / barn picnic area and pretty well marked dirt trails. Shady patches. Indian Joe Creek was dry as a bone when I ran this trail in late July. $5 parking fee. Bring cash.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

We followed the bahiker.com featured hike. It was a very nice hike. The downhill was very interesting!

Note: Be careful with cows on trail. At one point, cows were on both side of trail, and we tried walking through them. One of the cows started charging towards and we ran. Luckily, it did not follow us. Doing a quick google search reveals that other people have also faced that (fyi: we did not have a dog or kid). In the hindsight, may be we should have left the trail and walked through grass to go around the cows.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Indian joe creek trail (trailhead is immediately after the park gate entrance). Trail goes alongside the creek with multiple creek crossing opportunities. Has elevation gains and drops. Has abundant shade.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Very nice time of the year to do this trail. Suggest to start on the anti clockwise direction. Easier grade and Shade throughout. Clockwise makes it a hard start with no tree cover and constant steep climb in the beginning. Loved the creek crossings

Monday, November 21, 2016

We hike the Indian Joe Creek Trailhead in middle of November. The scenery was beautiful.

Friday, September 16, 2016

Nice trail with the creeks and the rocks to scramble through a bit on the creeks. Kids would enjoy this one.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Beautiful views. We went in March and the scenery was spectacular!

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

if you are fairly new to hiking it cam be tough but it is worth the hike. also the scenery is beautiful.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Trail was a great hike. All the creeks we pass threw keep my 3year old interested. lots of beautiful Oak trees so their lots of shade too.

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Pretty. Uphill, but not too hard. Good calf workout! The water along the trail was really pretty and there were some Falls. The view is gorgeous

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The trail was muddy. I didn't like it.

Monday, April 04, 2016

Very nice trail with nice vistas. the parking lots were packed with people and yet the park was quiet and felt empty.

Monday, February 29, 2016

i love this trail, but no signal here so I cannot record my path. Not much flowers, but very green

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Very easy hike...the waterfall is lovely although very little water due to the drought

Friday, February 12, 2016

Good short distance hike. Nice scenery! Apparently, there was mountain lion sightings. All we saw were what looked like huge paw prints.

Sunday, February 07, 2016

Nice flat trail that is good for kids. My son and I saw to rattlesnakes together on this trail.

Monday, February 01, 2016

The best view in Bay Area! Beautiful meadows and forest. Highly recommended

Monday, January 04, 2016

Great park with a bunch of options for trails.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

This place was amazing! I absolutely loved it. We went in early January when it was chill but not cold and it was beautiful. There was a creek alongside one of the paths (water was super cold!), and the others went uphill to open patches of grass with cows grazing which were peaceful to walk through. As one of the other reviewers mentioned, there were many trails aside from this one and I went on the Shady Glen loop which had a cute little bridge on it.

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

so pretty!

Monday, January 12, 2015

Bridge closed. No real markings of where the trail was once parked at the reserve. Pretty views, probably best during the winter but I think that might be why they have it still not fixed.

Monday, July 14, 2014

Took the advice of the ranger and went up Indian Joe Trail then over to Cave Rocks to come down the Hayfield road. It was surprisingly steep going up Indian Joe or maybe I was just tired that day. I enjoyed the top portion of the loop and was glad the hike down Hayfield was down not up as there was no shade there at all.

Friday, July 11, 2014

Extremely DRY Trail.. Very Few Trees or shaded part in the trail.
It was extremely sunny the day we went. And most of it is just dry land.
Not that a great view either from top.

Little Yosemite was also not that great.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Indian Joe Creek Trail and Little Yosemite trail are two very different trails in Sunol.

Little Yosemite is an easy 1-2 mile trail that takes you to the Little Yosemite area of Sunol where there are rocks, waterfalls, etc. Great hike for kids on broad fire road (lots of people). It generally is near one side of Alameda Creek, but only crosses over near the beginning of the hike. Generally the hike is sunny with few trees. There is also an undocumented trail that runs closer to the creek (between the road and Alameda Creek) that many people take.

Indian Joe Creek Trail starts at a different part of the park and follows a small creek up a canyon, criss-crossing the creek in many places (either jump across the creek or step across a rock or two--later in the summer, it dries up). It is about three miles, lots of trees and wildflowers and very pretty (my favorite hike in Sunol). Usually I came back down via. I would not do this with very small children, but cub scout/brownie or older ages is suitable.

You can also start on the trail that leads to Indian Joe Creek trail, miss the turn off to Indian Joe Creek Trail and end on Canyon View Trail which takes up and over a hill to Little Yosemite. First part is through oaks, higher up it is open and sunny with some good views.

All great hikes, but all very different

Sunday, August 18, 2013

This hike you have to pay $5 for entry fee per CAR. The hike is Ok. Not much selection and the trails are narrow. Lots of trees and shady areas. Great view seeing the mountains and live cows. No receptions with Verizon carrier, which means I cannot track my hike. So I use Runtastic application to track my hike.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

This hike is great if you have little ones. I would reccommend planninga second hike since this one is so short. Also bring cloths that you climb done the rocks and play in the water. It is a popular hike.

Thursday, November 08, 2012

Beautiful trail. Follow the canyon ridge trail for a true 5 mile hike. If you stay just on Indian Joe it is only a mile loop. For a little fun go off trail down by the stream and jump around on the rocks and discover a small cave.