Canyon Sin Nombre

Canyon Sin Nombre is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ocotillo, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from November until April.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 633 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Schad hike into Canyon Sin Nombre. Includes a neat slot canyon and a view.

Hiked this trail when temperature was mid 80s. Exploring slot canyons is always fun on trails at Anza Borrego Desert. Plenty ocotillo plants and saw couple in full flower, which was amazing to see in a Desert. Overall it was a short fun desert hike!

Hiked to the hike but didn’t quite get that far. AWD vehicle required to drive in. Nice slot canyon detour off to the left going in (see map). Nice scenery all around.

off road driving

Short road, but really fun. There are interesting mud formations and beautiful slot canyons. I took the road in a lifted 4Runner.. no issues at all. I can see it being challenging in a vehicle without good ground clearance, though. My sons and I scrambled all over. Good times, I'll be going back!

off road driving

This review is not for a hike in the Canyon. It is regarding the jeep road in, which is supposed to be suitable for the right vehicles. This is a terrible road. It is not safe to drive, at least not as it is currently. The rain changes these trails, so it may be different at a later date. Driving a powerful Audi all wheel drive vehicle with higher than average clearance (though not jacked up super high), we have gone on hundreds of Jeep roads, trails off road, and desert excursions. With careful driving we have never had a problem. The mouth of this trail itself is harrowing. Very steep, deep rocky ruts in soft sand. Looking back, I should have stopped there. Getting out (much later) was very very dicey. The road in is a lot of soft sand and it’s kind of scary. Once we got to the mouth of the canyon, in maybe a mile or so, there was no safe, clear path and almost immediately we got stuck. Again....we should have turned around earlier or not even driven in. Again we are battle tested, experienced travelers. Car was stuck, not movable after 30-45 minutes of trying different things to dislodge it. No phone signal. WiFi in car had no signal. So we started walking. It was a Wednesday. Nobody around. Super remote. No traffic. I was hitting my panic threshold. I knew once we got a signal it could take hours and that only a certain vehicle could even drive down that road. Then, like a mirage, a massive Ford truck with massive tires came down the trail. It was a husband and wife who also thought the trail was scary and they were in a powerful 4 wheel drive truck. They were wondering if they should turn back when we flagged them down. The man had some heavy duty nylon belt-rope and he figured out how to attach it under our back bumper and with some fanfare and creativity managed to pull us free. This is a cautionary tale. If you feel nervous or unsafe on a trail, driving or walking, turn back. Obviously I do not recommend driving into Canyon Sin Nombre. I know lots of people do it. May just have been the road as it was today. Always look out for fellow travelers in distress. Out there we rely on each other. They saved us from what was sure to be, a nightmare at best, and possibly worse. I will go back. Want to see the canyon! But I will park at the mouth of the road and walk all the way!!

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

This trail is the museum of geology.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Awesome beauty BUT cactus spines and dogs don’t go together.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Beautiful colors on the canyon walls. Check out the branching slot canyon about halfway up for a great view across the plateau.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

Good basic 4 wheel drive trail One tiny rough spot otherwise soft sand and basic hill. Tight walls and excellent camping. Opens nicely to a larger wash that you can follow a ways and pick the highway up again.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Beautiful walk down the canyon. Take water.

Friday, December 11, 2015

A nice hike through a narrow canyon with many geological features. There were many people there when we hiked it! The "trail" is a jeep road which gets quite a bit of traffic. A nice walk from the road or drive a mile to the canyon opening. Went in the fall, spring would be best due to lack of greenery.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

I've made this trip quite a few times. Will probably go again thanksgiving weekend. It's a blast. Fairly easy with a non modified 4x4 as long as you take it easy in some of the rougher parts. The mud caves are one of my favorite parts, I can spend hours going in and out of all the little sections. There are some high points you can climb to, and get a pretty good view around. Highly recommended for a family trip to the desert. Also Aqua Caliente is nearby if you want to hit the hot springs.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Awesome trip to take for a day off road. Its a wash type off road with a few rock gardens, need some ground clearance for the first rock garden.. Love the mud caves and explored in some of them which was amazing. Bring a headlamp if you plan to do any exploring!

recorded Canyon Sin Nombre