Campbell Lake

Campbell Lake is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Greenview, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Don't use the link within the app for directions on an iOS device. It's fine getting you to Fort Jones and on to Quartz Valley Rd, but from there Siri and Apple Maps have you turn on to Sniktaw Ln to cut over to Shackleford Creek Rd. This is incorrect and takes you back into a sketchy rural area on a poorly maintained gravel road. Stay on Quartz Valley Rd another mile and you'll come to Shackeford Creek Rd which is the correct route to the trailhead.

The hike to Campbell lake is beautiful and in shade by late afternoon due to all the mature trees along the route. I'd rate the trail moderate for all but that last difficult mile. I used trekking poles because I'm not in great shape and my knees are starting to wear out. They helped a lot with the last mile where the rapid elevation change had me huffing and puffing, but it was totally worth it once we got to Campbell Lake.

The lake area was very quiet for our mid-week stay and the trout fishing was pretty good. Here's a link to the USDA page for more info on the fishing in Campbell and other area lakes:

Overnight temps were in the low 60's to high 50's so a little chilly for the fleece sleeping bags we brought instead of our normal gear.

Smoke from the fire burning well south (west of Etna) only occasionally wafted into the Campbell Lake area. We had a brief rain shower just before sunset from an isolated thunderstorm which helped keep the air clear our first night there.

On 8/9/17 there was still a sign at the trailhead that says campfires are ok with a permit. You can get one for free at:

Consider reviewing the notes and downloading the routes/maps for all three lakes in this area if you plan to explore Summit or Cliff Lake from this trailhead.

Overall I highly recommend this hike. Next time we'll try Summit or Cliff Lake.

Only hard the last mile-ish. Maybe only half mile. Lot's of gain via switchbacks. Before that the trail is rolling. Overall, I would say the trail is moderate and I am an obese, lazy man. I still made it to the lake in less than two hours. I rate a hard trail a bit differently.