Camp Nelson Trail

Camp Nelson Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Springville, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.2 miles Elevation Gain: 958 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Enjoyable walk. Well trafficked by families with children and dogs. Never far from water. Well shaded. No real views.

Had a great half day up in Nelson! Trail is mild to moderate, Mcintyre's creek is "a flowin'" beautiful canopy and surroundings. There is a great spot just off trail to pic*nic @ the waters edge. Half day didnt allow for full trail, however, we will def be back to officially *complete. Mosquitoes near water*

we got a late start and we didnt get to hike the whole trail but the 3.5miles we did see was beautiful. minimal amount of people on the trail very shady and a variety of terrain. me and the family will go again!!!! a must see

Beautiful hike! August weather was sunny with highs in low/mid 70s. Trail is mostly shaded. I would rate this hike as moderate and the last mile being hard (steep climb up). We took our 10 year old daughter and had to stop frequently. NOTE: Started at the end near Quaking Aspen, which I WOULD NOT recommend. If you plan to do this, pass the campground and North Road, keeping an eye out for sign that reads NELSON TRAIL on your left-hand side. I would not recommend starting in Quaking Aspen because you cannot park in that campground area and will add 1 mile to get to the trail head from parking across the street from the campground. The trail in the campground also splits and we headed the wrong direction for 1 mile, so plan accordingly.

If you want a beautiful hike through groves of giant sequoias this is the hike for you! You will only be able to see these groves by hiking or biking in. We started at Camp Nelson and hiked through to Hwy 190. It’s not very strenuous until the last mile and a half. Then it’s up the mountain and plenty of switchbacks. I will qualify this review with my age, I’m 58 and have done some strenuous hikes but the cardio component can be difficult for me. We finished this approx. 5 mile hike in about 3.5 hours. We stopped at the meadow and hwy 190 but you can continue on to Quaking Aspen campground which is another mile on trail. If you walk another mile up hwy 190 the Ponderosa Lodge is waiting with food and cold beverages. This was definitely worth the effort and time!

recorded Recording - Jul 03, 02:42 PM

started the camp nelson Trail from the opposite end. Beautiful Trail with lots of giants to coils down near the creek. Fantastic hike!

Big trees. Loved the hike. Definitely makes you feel small. It's warm but you feel the breeze of the running water near by. it was amazing.

Such a beautiful trail up to Slate Mountain

Great trail. Not a long hike but it will get your heart rate moving a bit. It has beautiful scenery, great sequoia’s and my favorite part is the minimal traffic on the trail. If you’re headed here anytime near the time of this post, the river is high and great rapids present. Head over!

I’ve been hiking and mountain biking this trail for thirty years. Also I’ve lived in Camp Nelson for a time. If hiking, plan for about 4-5 hours if you want to go up then back down again. If you are limited for time park one car at the bottom on Camp Nelson drive and drive to the top near Quaking aspen Camp ground. Then you can drive back up pick your second car. Carry on to Pondeosa lodge for lunch. Best time to go is July when the ferns are out and the two river crossings aren’t a big deal. I’ve been on many trails in California and beyond. Few compare to it because of the beauty of the Redwoods and the solitude. There are also other trails in the area not included on this site.

Beautiful snowy hike. Took our time enjoying the snowy path, falling drops of water from the giant sequoias and pines, the sound of water rushing through the river and all of the creeks along the way. We made our way about a mile past the wishbone sequoia until we were hiking in a foot of snow and turned back - about 3.5 hours. Lovely!

My friends dog ran off near the second log crossing the river(log with wooden planks) if you see a small maltees yorki poodle mix with a purple harness she goes by Kona. Please text 323-900-9792 or email apelayo10@gmail.com

My friends dog ran off right past the second log (with wooden planks). If anyone spots a small maltees yorki poodle with a purple harnest she goes by Kona. Please call 3239009792 or email apelayo10@gmail.com Thank you

Beautiful, mostly shaded walk through the mixed forest of sequoias and cedar. Snow wasn’t that much of issue but plenty of downed trees. Either way navigating around these obstacles was easy to get back on track. Brought the dogs for the hike it was perfect for them.

Absolutely beautiful place! It was like an obstacle course after a while but overall it was great! There is snow on parts and it's pretty tricky to stay on the trail but we managed. We made it 2.2 miles in before the fallen trees and snow stopped us. We plan on returning soon to complete it once the snow has melted.

Beautiful trail. Great scenery and amazing views of some large sequoias, and the river. Parts of the trail were difficult to follow given the snow and fallen trees. Tried to hike this up to the 190 and got terribly lost (I don’t recommend). But would be a nice out and back trail when the snow melts and the fallen trees are cleared, likely in the next couple months!

Really fun trail, saw some wildlife and some bear tracks while I was there. Around 50 percent of the trail is covered in snow and about 25 percent didn't have any indication of where the trail is. Take your time and you should be fine, just be ready to navigate through downed trees as well. Overall, great trail.

11/24/18 First let me say that the drive to the trail was near zero visibility. The dense fog was not pleasant to drive in considering we are not at all familiar with the mountain. Apparently everyone else was aware of the conditions because we saw no one. Once we arrived the trail head was easy to find. The trail followed a nice stream of water which could be heard throughout the hike. A nice gradual incline was a nice easy work out, certainly nothing strenuous. There are a handful of bridges that cross over the stream which can be slippery. There are plenty of sequoias to view and one which you walked through. There is no clear markings when you reach the far end of the trail. We shot past it which made our hike 6 miles which took roughly 2.25 hours.

Great hike! Took the kiddos and the pup and it was amazing!

Sunday, September 09, 2018

I did this hike with the Kern Valley Hiking Club, and had a great time. The ferns were out, and the Sequoias were fantastic. We visited the Jordan Peak Lookout afterwards.

Monday, August 06, 2018

This hike isn’t hard but it is a little steep in spots. We saw a rattlesnake just 10ft or so from the trailhead so keep an eye out. Crosses the river a few times with very pretty scenery. Sequoias and ferns more dense as the trail goes on. There were a lot of mosquitos, we all had repellent but still left with a few bites.

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Quite a nice trail, I enjoyed it more than the Trail of 100 Giants as this trail provided more shade and changes in scenery as the trail winds over the creeks. We started our hike around 10am and I would recommend starting no later, as the overhead sun was quite harsh on the way back at 1pm. The morning shade was very pleasant, and made the gradual elevation gain easier. I thought at only 900feet gain over 2.6 miles this would be too easy if a hike, but it was perfect for a hot summer day! I highly recommend hiking this trail with a GRAYL water filtration bottle, as there are so many running streams to fill up at and stay hydrated!

Friday, June 22, 2018

Very beautiful in June. Many Giant Sequoias, butterflies, gatherings of ladybugs. Hiked with my seven year old granddaughter and she had a fabulous time exploring the shallow stream. Lots to see if one takes it slow. Many shady areas due to the wide variety of trees.