Calcite Mine Trail

Calcite Mine Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Borrego Springs, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

Calcite Mine is just under 4 miles long and located near Borrego Springs, California. The trail is great for hiking and normally takes 2-3 hours. You start off on the rough jeep trail down to a wash where you have the option to traverse through a slot canyon. Once to the mine area, you can explore various rock formations and hike up to the tiptop for a fantastic view of the Salton Sea and the surrounding badlands. On the way back, start out on the jeep track again and then venture the other way down the narrow canyon to meet back up with the original trail. This hike has a bit of everything!

off road driving

Some moderately rough spots but my stock 2002 Land Cruiser didn’t have any issue with any of it. Recommend for some fun wheelin.

Our group also hiked this one in February and the weather was perfect. We started at the parking area and walked the Jeep trail (some in the party did not like this part) but once we reached the Slot canyon everyone was pleased. I myself find beauty in most hikes and this one was no different. There are some great views at the start of an open desert, then you hike on the Jeep Trail for a bit with above canyon views and drop in at the end. Very nice.

off road driving

This is a nice intermediate trail for off-roading. A stock height vehicle may have trouble in a few spots due to large rocks and ruts in the trail, but we went through in a Jeep Wrangler with a 2.5' lift and 33' tires with no sweat. a few fun climbs, and close enough to a ledge to give an inexperienced passenger white knuckles. Fun little trail with cool slot canyons for hiking. I drove my Jeep into one of the slot trails and surprised my buddies waiting in their rigs when I drove out forward. :)
Once at the turn around sot near the mining ID sign there is a short hike up a hill to expose a great view of the Salton Sea.

Did this in the middle of July when it was close to 110 and still had fun. Moderately difficult hike accounting for the fact that there was 1.5 gallons of water and a lot of food supply shoved into a non-hiking backpack. The hike up the truck road was steep with very little shade. Entering the actual trail in the open space of the entrance canyon was fantastic. A turn at a fork in the road lead to a slot canyon, very fun. Afterwards, a trail leading to the calcite mine showed impressive views of the surrounding area. Atop the calcite mine hill were gorgeous views of the Salton Sea and other well known landmarks that evade my memory at this current time. The actual mines were not to be found on that particular day. However, a huge geologic formation known as locomotive rock jets out of the ground like a monolith, climbing it would be rewarding if one ever gets the chance. All in all, it felt like 3 trails in one, a great show of Anza's natural desert wonders. Do as I say, not as I do. Summer is a season only folks with brain deficiencies or a serious lack of common sense and logic would choose when it comes to exploring a desert.

Isolated trail. Little to no shade so bring lots of water and go in the Spring or Fall. The conclusion of the hike was kind of disappointing. You see calcite pieces all over but it's not really a photo op type of situation.

Thursday, March 02, 2017

I loved it. It was the perfect moderate level hike and at the end I could see the Salton Sea in the distance. I never saw a mine, which was a little disappointing but still a fantastic hike.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Great hike. First time I used this app and it performed flawlessly. Well done!

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

I would recommend starting this hike as early as possible to avoid the heat that comes on early and quickly & bring plenty of water. Parking is 300 feet past the trail head. Watch out for fire ants.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

This area was interesting. There are lots of slot canyons everywhere and this place can be a maze. There are many cool rock formations scattered about as well. This is a good hike if you want something easy and unique. However, it's far enough out there to where I would only recommend it if you're already in the general area.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

I've hiked up here a couple of times now. The Mine Road is passable to high clearance vehicles up to a turnaround above the junction with Palm Wash Rd. Beyond here, you'd better walk unless you enjoy the sound of your undercarriage scraping on bedrock. About halfway from the turnaround to the mine is a slot canyon on the left, and this is by far the highlight of the route. Use your GPS to keep a bearing on the location of the Calcite Mine, and when it's about due east, look for one of a couple of routes out of the canyon to your right. Either way involves some scrambling, and both are a lot of fun!
Bring plenty of water, and keep an eye out for rattlesnakes. I camped at the turnaround for an early start, due to the warm weather at the time of my last visit. Even so, I was heading back down the trail about noon, and the sun was murder.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

We started this hike with the temp at 74 degrees. There are 2 parking areas one at mile post 38 and another at a view point right at the trail head. The jeep road was easy to follow with signs exactly where we needed them. The views along the washes and in the distance kept us going. We reached the mining sight in 1.5 h. We didn't head right down because there were just too many areas to explore, views of Salton Sea and a pleasant breeze to enjoy. On the way down we met up with a couple of 4WD's heading up. We took a little side trip to explore a slot canyon heading West. All tolled we covered a little over 6 miles in 4.5 h.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Great 4wd trail. Somewhat difficult but not too hard. You'll want good ground clearance and good articulation. The most recent time we've done this trail, it was considerably more washed out than the previous times, making it a little more challenging. There were large ruts we had to straddle and the shelf road is sometimes very narrow because of becoming partially washed out.

There is a steep section that is a little more difficult but not that bad.

The scenery going in and out is amazing. Take time at the end of the trail to hike around the area. It was extremely windy each time we've been there.

We exited via Palm Wash and popped out near the Salton Sea. That was an easy and pleasant drive but to get to the wash was a little exciting. To get to it, you drop down a steep section into a canyon from Calcite Road. Once you're in, it's easy. It's a pretty drive before and during sunset.

Monday, January 20, 2014

Great hike, it is more like 7 miles through the canyon with many slots and boulders to crawl through and over.

Saturday, May 13, 2017