Calaveras Ridge Regional Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(145)
Dublin Hills Regional Park

Calaveras Ridge Regional Trail is a 4.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Dublin, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 879 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The park features rolling, grassy hills with oak and bay woodlands along the small drainages. The ridgeback trail meanders to its terminus at the small peak of the Calaveras Ridge Regional Trail. This completely exposed trail doesn’t provide any shade, dress accordingly. There is a drinking fountain at the Donlon Point Staging Area parking lot; make sure to ll your water containers before starting the hike. Park at the Donlon Point Staging Area. Pass through the gate behind the restrooms to access the Calaveras Ridge Regional Trail. You will follow this trail the whole way. The trail winds up the hill. Continue straight through the next cattle gate, and straight again past the next trail post, remaining on Calaveras Ridge Regional Trail. At the fork, take the trail closest to the fence line and continue straight past trail post #5. Keep heading uphill and at the fork stay on the trail to the slight left, passing trail post # 9. Keep going straight passing large water trough and follow the trail for just under 1 mile all the way up to the top of the hill. At the top of the hill, enjoy the view, and retrace your steps to return to the staging area. Park Hours: 8am - varies seasonally

private property

Easy to follow trail. Lots of poop on trail though

Nice trail with a bit of a nice incline. Great view of the Tri Valley. Trail was easy to follow. Not much shade but perfect for a 70 degree weather.

Awesome panoramic views at the end.

Wide trails!! Great for dogs!

Great hike no complaints.

Dogs loved it!

Only hiked about 4/5ths of it, but it’s ideal for any level of hiker. There may be cows nearby, but they’re never aggressive unless intentionally provoked. Winter and spring may be a little muddy, so boots are recommended. Absolutely stunning views of the rolling hills of the east bay. Highly recommend for those looking for an easier hike with constant scenic views.

I tried to do this hike today but didn’t complete it. 1. There was a large amount of cow poop. It was all over the trail and looks like it’s been there for months. I did not want to step in that and bring my to my car or home. 2. The 2.5 mile mark is in the middle of the grazing area. Large group of cows grazing. I first I wasn’t bothered because they were a short distance away. Most stayed in the hill grazing and watching me walk by but a few male cows started walking towards me. As I approached they got closer and closer to the path as if they were trying to get a closer look at me. That’s too close for comfort for me so I turned around and decided to call it quits. I don’t trust animals cause you never know what they are thinking. On a positive note the Donlon loop (I think it’s called that) has a beautiful view of the Dublin, part of Pleasanton, and part of San Ramon.

This was a fun trail. I saw wildlife and even saw some elusive white deer. Beautiful big trees and great hills for a nice workout. Watch for cows.

Thu May 16 2019

Beautiful trail. ended up hiking a goat path that took us over a ridge. Breathtaking view. You can an hour or the entire day out there.

Sun May 12 2019

Lovely open trail in rolling hills fairly easy with a couple of steeper but short climbs. Good for winter and spring. Probably too hot in the summer

Sun Jan 27 2019

Fri Jan 25 2019

Sun Jun 03 2018

Average trail in June and throughout the summer I feel. No shade whatsoever. Fairly easy hike as you dodge cow patties. Another star in spring green hills for sure.

Thu May 10 2018

Nice, easy rolling out-and-back trail. The trail offers excellent 360 degree views. The trail is a service road/fire trail but it winds through grazing land, so watch out for numerous cow patties. The trail can be muddy after rain and become ruddy when dry.

Tue Jan 16 2018

Nice and easy trail. Good views from the top. We stayed on Calaveras Ridge Trail the whole time. Recommend!

Fri Dec 08 2017

Nice trek and views

Sat Oct 07 2017

LOVE THE VIEW OVERALL!

Sun Jan 15 2017

Muddy. Disappointing. There were some heavy rains 4-5 days before I hiked this trail, but it was still very muddy at parts. I had hoped all the sun that these hills had received in the few days prior would have dried them out more. I wouldn't suggest hiking this trail unless the area has not seen rain for at least a week. There was a spot about two miles in where a small mud slide had wiped out the path and I had to go on a detour to higher ground to get around it. I had prepared for a 7 mile hike according to the track, but unfortunately 2.5 miles in the trail ends at the electric line tower at the top of the hill. You will see marker 10 at the bottom of the hill and a sign that the trail ends in 1/4 mile. In order to follow the track and do the entire 7 miles, you would need to hop the fence and hike through a private cow pasture. I wouldn't recommend it. The views are nice, but I spent too much time looking down where I was walking so I didn't step in a cow patty. Out of the 70 trails that I have completed in the Bay Area, this was one of my least favorite. The Donlan Loop is nicer if you are hiking in this area.

Thu Dec 29 2016

This is a local fav of mine!!

Sat Oct 08 2016

Best trail by far !!

Sun Sep 04 2016

Good all season trail for light to moderate hiking.

Fri Aug 12 2016

Love this trail once you get away from the houses you feel like you are 100 miles from the busy eastbay! The views make it all worth it

Wed Apr 20 2016

Beautiful trail! On a clear day, you can see SF from the higher points.