Calaveras North Grove Trail is a 1.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Arnold, California that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

partially paved

Note: There is a fee to park.

You feel so small here
Humility takes over as you meander the trail through
Giant Sequoia Trees

Easy walk but great access to unbelievably beautiful and majestic trees.

On a Saturday, I expected it to be BUSY! But to my surprise, much of the time, we had the trail to ourselves. Easy terrain that is well maintained. The surroundings are beautiful and humbling. We arrived at 9:15 and by the time we were done, it was just starting to get busy.

Great place to see the big trees. My two years old did more then half of this awesome trial.

Great walking tour with Mary Ann.

Short, easy hike that's good for kids. Takes you through one of the world's oldest sequoia groves.

Nice and easy scenic hike. The giant sequoia trees make me awe-struck every time. Highly recommend!

Connected to this loop as part of a longer run from Arnold. It was a great “destination”. The sequoias are impressive and I ran the mile loop without even noticing I was running.

Had a great time with the family on this hike. We have 4 kids all under the age of 6 and we all made it! 2 were on our backs, but the 6 and 4 year olds hiked it and enjoyed the large trees and beautiful scenery. Weather was good in the 80’s and was a good escape from the hot weather in Sacramento. We were here mid week in June and trails were not crowded. We even took time to view the camp sites for a return trip to camp next time. Highly recommend for a easy family hike.

Good stroll with the kids!

A beautiful trail, I took away one star due to it being so crowded. There were 100 or so people and the trail felt claustrophobic at times. However, the trees were plentiful and beautiful. The giant stump of a sequoia cut down in 1853 at the start of the trail was sobering. Also, the beginning of the trail isn't well marked and many people take the loop trail backwards (which contributed to the crowding).

Beautiful and family friendly regardless of the time of year. I was here about 2 months ago and it snowed while we did the short trail, yet it was still very doable. They also have guided tours and you learn a lot about the trees and history here. The staff is really nice too!

Great family trip and self guided tour even in the snow!!!

We just had a good hike at the North Grove. We are fortunate , the weather is really nice. We drove really early ;we are one of the first two cars in the parking lot. By 11:00 it was really full. Very nice park volunteers at the visitors center.

Hiking in the snow was great!

we went yesterday. there was a small layer of snow and it was easy to walk. it was a little cold.

Gorgeous! Great with a stroller and young kids. Our nine year old loved the trees but was hoping for something a tad more strenuous. We went during winter days, so they had fun crafts. Seven month old’s favorite activity on hikes is talking to the trees, so she absolutely loved this stroll.
Tiny patches of icy snow on the ground in the parking lot, but none in forest/on trails. Tennis shoes are perfectly acceptable.

Monday, October 16, 2017

Awesome scenery. Great for kids. Stroller accessible.

Friday, September 15, 2017

Easy educational and pleasant

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Take the Grove Overlook Trail as well. Worth it to see the view of the trees from a higher viewpoint!

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Love it I can't wait to go back because it's the best ever

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Great trail for young kids and all levels of physical fitness

Friday, June 30, 2017

We only GPS mapped the Canyon River Trail for one way. It was closer to 6.6 miles roundtrip than the advertised 8 miles. Moderate difficulty, reasonably well-maintained, well marked with appealing aesthetics (creek, river, forest, greenery, nicely shaded). Approx. 1300 foot elevation climb back up the ridge from the river. Have fun & don't forget to pack out your trash. We saw a lot of garbage on the trail and tried to pick up as much as we could find. Please be respectful to this beautiful forest. Thank you!!!

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

We visited New Year's Day, 2017. The snow was beautiful and added something special to the walk. This was my first hike as an adult. Now, I have this need to see more!

Monday, November 07, 2016

This is a great hike for families, and for individuals of all ages and abilities. If you are looking for a trail to get started with, if you want to get your kids interested in hiking, this is a great place to go. The path is well maintained, and is a boardwalk for much of the trail, so there is no tricky terrain. Great place to just let the kids run and enjoy the beauty all around. We completed this trail in about an hour.

If you are looking for a challenging trail, this is not for you. Great place to get kids motivated to do harder trails in more remote corners of the Sierras though.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Super easy but great for little ones. More of a walk than a hike. Lots of places to stop along the way for a picnic under the majestic sequoias.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

This was a great trail to view the redwoods but way too touristy for me. It was Labor Day so plenty of "holiday naturists", kids yelling at times, disrespecting the forest, etc. We ended up hiking the River Trail (much much less crowded) made it about 1.5 miles but turned around because it was too much for the kids. I'd love to go back and hike the entire River Trail (4 mile) to the Stanislaus River.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

There's nothing like seeing the Sierra's Giant Sequoias. This park is often crowded, but the 1.7-mile loop is always rewarding. The forest here is very lush with wildflowers, berries and even ferns.
Consider coming when the dogwoods are in bloom. In the winter, it's a great place to snowshoe or cross-country ski. Also, check out the 3-years-new visitors center. It was partially funded by the park's support group and is a testimony to its status as one of the most beloved jewels of the California State Park system.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Just amazing to see the big trees defiantly different from our trees in Yosemite but still amazing I love all
The little trails. I'd go
Back there right now if I could!

Thursday, May 12, 2016