Calaveras North Grove Trail

Calaveras North Grove Trail is a 1.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Arnold, California that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Note: There is a fee to park.

27 minutes ago

Hiking in the snow was great!

we went yesterday. there was a small layer of snow and it was easy to walk. it was a little cold.

Gorgeous! Great with a stroller and young kids. Our nine year old loved the trees but was hoping for something a tad more strenuous. We went during winter days, so they had fun crafts. Seven month old’s favorite activity on hikes is talking to the trees, so she absolutely loved this stroll.
Tiny patches of icy snow on the ground in the parking lot, but none in forest/on trails. Tennis shoes are perfectly acceptable.

Awesome scenery. Great for kids. Stroller accessible.

Easy educational and pleasant

Take the Grove Overlook Trail as well. Worth it to see the view of the trees from a higher viewpoint!

Love it I can't wait to go back because it's the best ever

Great trail for young kids and all levels of physical fitness

We only GPS mapped the Canyon River Trail for one way. It was closer to 6.6 miles roundtrip than the advertised 8 miles. Moderate difficulty, reasonably well-maintained, well marked with appealing aesthetics (creek, river, forest, greenery, nicely shaded). Approx. 1300 foot elevation climb back up the ridge from the river. Have fun & don't forget to pack out your trash. We saw a lot of garbage on the trail and tried to pick up as much as we could find. Please be respectful to this beautiful forest. Thank you!!!

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

We visited New Year's Day, 2017. The snow was beautiful and added something special to the walk. This was my first hike as an adult. Now, I have this need to see more!

Monday, November 07, 2016

This is a great hike for families, and for individuals of all ages and abilities. If you are looking for a trail to get started with, if you want to get your kids interested in hiking, this is a great place to go. The path is well maintained, and is a boardwalk for much of the trail, so there is no tricky terrain. Great place to just let the kids run and enjoy the beauty all around. We completed this trail in about an hour.

If you are looking for a challenging trail, this is not for you. Great place to get kids motivated to do harder trails in more remote corners of the Sierras though.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Super easy but great for little ones. More of a walk than a hike. Lots of places to stop along the way for a picnic under the majestic sequoias.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

This was a great trail to view the redwoods but way too touristy for me. It was Labor Day so plenty of "holiday naturists", kids yelling at times, disrespecting the forest, etc. We ended up hiking the River Trail (much much less crowded) made it about 1.5 miles but turned around because it was too much for the kids. I'd love to go back and hike the entire River Trail (4 mile) to the Stanislaus River.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

There's nothing like seeing the Sierra's Giant Sequoias. This park is often crowded, but the 1.7-mile loop is always rewarding. The forest here is very lush with wildflowers, berries and even ferns.
Consider coming when the dogwoods are in bloom. In the winter, it's a great place to snowshoe or cross-country ski. Also, check out the 3-years-new visitors center. It was partially funded by the park's support group and is a testimony to its status as one of the most beloved jewels of the California State Park system.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Just amazing to see the big trees defiantly different from our trees in Yosemite but still amazing I love all
The little trails. I'd go
Back there right now if I could!

Thursday, May 12, 2016

It really nice

Friday, April 01, 2016

Great hike!!!

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Beautiful scenery and views. We hiked the Overlook and River Trails then finished up with the North Grove Trail. We arrived at the park around 9 am so we were pretty much alone until we returned to the visitor center at around 12 pm . By then the tourist arrived and it was no longer peaceful. We hiked in the snow. That was pretty cool too.

Monday, February 08, 2016

Love this place the hike is beautiful and it's not too crowded. Love looking at all the big trees.

Monday, November 23, 2015

Great little hike. Highly recommend going early before the guided hikes start. Most of the North Grove Trail is on a foot bridge and it's great for young kids and "mature" adults. If you have the time and want a little change (real little) take the trail to the south to the lookout view point. The trail to the lookout is a moderate climb uphill onto a paved drive for the last 200 meters. Pack a camera because the views are great. Was up on 11/21/2015 and the first snow was on the ground. The foot bridge was a little slippery, but once we got on the dirt, no problems.

Sunday, November 08, 2015

The sequoias are always so much more than a picture can capture. During a weekday the North Grove was quiet (except for a school group that met the other class halfway around). The loop is easy, peaceful, and very beautiful. On the weekend, of course, there are more families -- try the Grove Overlook Trail for a quieter experience (go up first if you want a little more challenge). Saw mule deer here on 11-7.

Another nice side-trip: take the River Trail just to the Scenic Outlook -- adds another 0.8 mile one way and maybe another 200 vertical feet.

Monday, October 05, 2015

A nice stroll through the woods. Be sure to grab a trail guide so you know what you're looking at! These tress are massive, but the biggest trees in the park are in the south grove. North grove is like a dream, I love the bench they have that lets you lay back and look up at the trees. A good hike for those who aren't really outdoorsy people.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Beautiful and easy, stroller-friendly, self-guided nature trail. Took my 2 year old and she loved running down the wide trail and playing in and around the giant sequoias.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

I'm not from around there which is such a same because i'd go hiking everyday if i lived around there. the scenic route is off the top amazing. so much better than hiking trails in my area. I ran into a black baby bear but it was harmless, just didn't have to bother it. It's nice and not crowded in the trail but of course it's a tourist park so the staging area is jam packed with people. I did 3 trails there, forgot which one they were but it took up my whole day. such a shame it was raining and cloudy though. made walking in the forrest a bit spooky. but when the sun came out for just a little bit, it was wonderfull because the trees provide so much shade! anwyays, i'm eventually going to go back and do more trails, when it's sunny!

Friday, June 05, 2015

Was joined by the slower part of my family on this flat, educational trail. Very crowded in the afternoon and also tinged with sadness at how easily humans can destroy something that's grown in one spot for thousands of years.

Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Super easy walk through a short loop of Big Trees Park. This trail is wide, hard-packed dirt that is heavily used. Lots of great photo ops!

Monday, September 01, 2014

Fun trail especially for the kids. Easy walk. Lots of people so the trail can get quite crowded. Summertime is the busiest. Winter is a great time to go.

Friday, July 18, 2014

A bit crowded but an experience none the less. And with the historical markers it makes it a great hike to take the whole family on. Educational and a little exercise make for a good family activity.

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Great, toddler friendly trail. Lots of fun photo ops and opportunities for exploration.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Flat, easy, interesting. I pushed an elderly person in a wheelchair. I would not call it handicapped accessible but we made it. The only real problem for the chair was that it was a little muddy in places due to recent rain and a little rough in places. But it was an easy walk and great day.