Calabasas Peak Trail

Calabasas Peak Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Calabasas, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This pleasant hike gives you a good aerobic workout, with a moderate but steady uphill trek for a little less than 2 miles to the summit of Calabasas Peak. The views along the way are wonderful. This pleasant hike gives you a good aerobic workout, with a moderate but steady uphill trek for a little less than 2 miles to the summit of Calabasas Peak. The views along the way are wonderful. As the hike starts, off to the left are grand vistas of the Santa Monica mountains across a lovely small valley. Over the crest, Red Rock Canyon comes into view on the right. As you ascend to the peak, along the right are spectacular tilted and pocketed sandstone formations set against the beautiful green mountains. Along the way, there are a number of interesting rock formations that you can scramble out on (carefully) for some great views. A very enjoyable hike.

I hiked this with my dog at sunrise and it was beautiful. Very quiet and scenic. The incline really isn't bad at all, especially if you are a regular hiker. The trail is well marked, but keep an eye out for the small trail that forks to the left to make it to the peak at the midway point. There are a few other trails that branch off of it, so there is plenty to explore if you want to tack on miles. Trail starts across the road from the small parking area.

Goos uphill trail to the summit then down through cold creek trail and back up! Did about 10 Miles combined.

The trail is a good workout going up to the peak. We hung out on the rock outcropping just before reaching the official peak. Great place to enjoy the views and have a snack. The trail is all downhill back to the trailhead, so pretty easy going back.

Beautiful views. Early morning shade on large parts.

Thursday, February 09, 2017

Easy service road hike, great views. will do again.

Monday, February 06, 2017

Nice, muddy and foggy today. Nice stroll up hill

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

I've never been there

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Did it with my dog. Strenuous but great views. No shade so go on cooler day.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Beautiful vistas for much of the hike. I would rate this trail as on the strenuous end of moderate. There are some very steep sections and the last bit is very steep. Take your time, drink some water and just enjoy the scenery.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Nice short steep and sweet hike. All service road until the very end, but a nice little jog if you are into that sort of thing. Did it early and it was nice and cool.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

My dog and I went on this hike just before sunrise and the fog was amazing. It filled the canyon, which made for some pretty awesome sights. The hike itself was not hard in the least bit, but good views for the entirety of it. Also, it wasn't loud at all, and I only saw one other person on the trail.. All I heard was the chirping of birds; granted, I was there pretty early. Anyway, I would recommend it, especially for a sunrise hike!

Friday, April 01, 2016

Enough has been said about the Grade, its not that bad, its all fire road and too many houses around. Geologically its a fascinating trail and that fact makes it worth it.
At the top for a snack all you hear is the 101 freeway constant roar, sirens, dogs barking and really kills any affect of escape.... not my cup of tea, but worth doing once. I put on a 25 pound pack and went down to Redrock canyon then back, then to the top, my Legs are sore so it was good.

Saturday, March 26, 2016

As hikers have stated, the uphill climb can be strenuous but the views from the summit are totally worth it. The wild flowers are blooming which adds to the beauty of the hike.

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Decent out and back trail, with several approaches to the summit, I started on Stunt Road. Happy I did this in January, as with many LA trails, not much shade. The final 2/3mile was a bit steep but short enough it isn't too tiring. Good views from the peak, however the actual drive up had some more spectacular ocean overlooks. Very few people on the trail which was great, and some fun rock formations to looks around off the side of the trail.

Saturday, January 09, 2016

Good aerobic workout with a moderate but steady uphill is an understatement. The grade for the last mile to the summit averages 16%. That's steep. For short distances the grade is 20% or more. If you're in excellent condition the adjectives good and moderate may apply but I'd substitute strenuous and significant. The views, as stated, are wonderful...maybe even spectacular. I did the hike when the distant mountains were capped with snow. Go on a cool day, take it slow, enjoy the views, and most people in good condition can make the summit. Remember, it's not a race.

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Great trail! My girlfriend and I start from Old Topanga when we hike here. It's pretty strenuous at times, but it's worth it when you get to Calabasas Peak. Look out for people riding horses, the trail is used by a trail riding facility.

Monday, June 29, 2015

This hike is really beautiful. Once you get to the top, the 360 degree views are amazing and there is an old military box full of letters and trinkets people leave when they reach the top. It's a great place to get away and enjoy solitude. I only saw one person during my hike. There are lots of little areas to explore as well. Really fun hike.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Very enjoyable moderate trail. Few people and the views are worthy of harder trails. Once you get up to the fireroad you have many options.. take some time and explore.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Went today, it is just as described up, up, up then down, down, down. Very pretty and we'll maintained, also everyone we encountered was very friendly which was nice.

Sunday, September 09, 2012

AMAZING VIEWS!!!!!! Such a simple hike, but I wouldn't even call it a hike. One mile in, one mile out. The views and cool rock formations are awesome.