Cahuenga Peak Loop

Cahuenga Peak Loop is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From the 134 E, exit W. Olive Ave. Continue on Barham Blvd., then turn left on Lake Hollywood Dr. Turn left on La Suvida Dr. and reconnect with Lake Hollywood Dr. Continue climbing until you reach Wonder View Dr. heading east. The trailhead is at the gate at the end of Wonder View Dr.

Amazing

Just did this hike this weekend and was disappointed to find that it wasn’t a loop at all. Went up the steep rocky side to the Wisdom Tree and was planning to come down the longer side of the loop as we had our big dogs and didn’t want to do the steep climb down with them. We passed the “trail” for the other side of the loop twice not even noticing it as it wasn’t an actual trail and no one was walking on it at all. Sent my husband to check it out to see if we could get through and or if it got better along the way but it didn’t, it just disappeared. Couldn’t go that way so had to take the dogs back down the steep side. That cut the hike shorter and was much more difficult with the dogs. Likely wouldn’t have done it if we had known that. Anyone know if there was a reason why that side of the trail would not be there or not be used by anyone on a Sunday? Otherwise it was a beautiful view from the top and could be a great LA hike.

Good uphill training but very short and not a lot of coverage. The wisdom tree is pretty neat and there are a few nice places to sit and look out over LA but nothing to write home about.

Steep and rocky, good idea to bring poles to take strain off the knees. Go earlier than 8/9 am before the crowds and bring a light sweater, hat and sunscreen. Great views 360 of LA and backside view of the Hollywood sign.

Steep but not too long. Wear good shoes and a hat......

We went out and back to the hollywood sign and stopped at the wisdom tree on the way. Strenuous at the beginning and at the end but well worth it!! Be aware you have to walk through a neighborhood to get to the trail head.

Not sure how anyone could rate this better than 3. Not too well marked, slippery, lots of road noise and a smelly sewage treatment plant. It’s nice that it is close to town and is good for exercise but not a destination hike

A challenging alternative to Runyon Canyon with the same breathtaking 360 degree view of Los Angeles.

Nice city hike but as a seasoned hiker, I’d rate this one difficult! The north side of the loop is incredibly steep and provides a great workout, but definitely proceed with caution if you’ve got bad knees or aren’t looking to be huffing and puffing on the incline.

Great hike. The back side is steep. Hiking poles made it way easier to go straight up. Free parking on the street leading to the reservoir. Great views at the top. Can knock out 3 peaks in one hike!

This was a work out for me, you start off with .5 mile steep incline and glute work out but once you get up at wisdom tree it’s beautiful. This hike put a lot stress on my knees , I’ll bring poles next time. Lots of people the day I went.

Made an even bigger loop and went down the Hollywood view trail, good hike!

Be aware this trail does NOT take you to the front of the Hollywood sign. You will only get a view of the sign from the back. Misleading photos from people who posted the Hollywood sign.
The hike was just ok.

Love it

Amazing Hike. Doing the full loop is pretty difficult. Super down hill with loads of loose stones to slide on.

Steep hill, rocky, tough, but awesome!! Careful with snakes.

Great hike, I've done it 3 times already. and each time I forget how much incline there is. But the view at the end is worth it. Plenty of spots for a good picture.

This hike caught us a little off-guard. We were just a few days removed from hiking Angel's Landing in Utah and a few trails in Big Bend along the US-Mexico border. Compared to those two locales, we figured this would equate to a leisurely stroll.

Not entirely so.

There were a handful of factors we sold a bit short on this hike:

1. The Initial Climb: It pushes the casual hiker a little bit (that's us). I'm reading this trail climbs over 1,500 feet. I'm not sure I thought it was that much, but it was still a little bit of a grind right at the outset.

2. Sun Exposure: We should have known better, particularly considering our previous stops.There's virtually no shade on this hike aside from a respite at The Wisdom Tree. That means if you're doing this hike in midday Los Angeles in the summer, you could be looking at temperatures that feel like 100 degrees beaming down upon you for the duration. As always, bring more water than you think you'll need.

3. Dust & Traction: This was probably the dustiest hike we'd ever done. Subsequently, the dry dirt and loose rocks can make things feel a little unstable. Thankfully, I don't recall there being too many spots where a random slip was going to be particularly dangerous (don't think there's many exposed narrow ledges, if any). It was more of an annoyance for my hiking partner than anything else. As the trailer, she saw a pretty constant cloud of dust coming off my hiking shoes. We also both slipped a few times coming back down Cahuenga. They were mostly controlled slips, but it speaks to the terrain.

Basically, we planned on cruising up to the Hollywood Sign real quick but instead ended up with a great workout and pretty dirty shoes and clothes. Still a pretty swell hike. Also, The Wisdom Tree was fascinating.

This hike is very challenging for as many tourists and children as I saw on the trail. There is a significant amount of climbing and the terrain is dangerous. I recommend this for experienced hikers.

Turn left and take the long way up for great views of Forest lawn, Warner Bros Studios, and the LA river. There was no one else on this side of the loop on a Sunday afternoon so it was very peaceful.

I took the "Challenging" route... Around back... Not too bad... The views are awesome... You come across a few narrow paths or tight spaces but nice little hike...

It was a steep uphill climb. My friend barfed.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Great sunset hike!

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Difficult, but not impossible

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Difficult trail. Steep and rocky. I wouldn't do it again.

Thursday, April 20, 2017

way too many loose rocks on trail. i slipped/fell 7 times and i've never fallen on a hike before/am in shape

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Much shorter than I was expecting. The views from the wisdom tree are great on a clear day!

Friday, March 31, 2017

Love it!!!

Friday, March 31, 2017

Most awesome view up there. Although there's no point in doing the whole loop as indicated in the map. Go up to the Hollywood sign from the starting point, AND COME BACK THROUGH THE SAME ROUTE. The other route on the way back was 90% steep downhill, not that fun. Everything else was great.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

It was a not easy but they view made it worth it!