Cahuenga Peak Loop

Cahuenga Peak Loop is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A loop with a stop at the Cahuenga Wisdom Tree.

A challenging alternative to Runyon Canyon with the same breathtaking 360 degree view of Los Angeles.

Nice city hike but as a seasoned hiker, I’d rate this one difficult! The north side of the loop is incredibly steep and provides a great workout, but definitely proceed with caution if you’ve got bad knees or aren’t looking to be huffing and puffing on the incline.

Great hike. The back side is steep. Hiking poles made it way easier to go straight up. Free parking on the street leading to the reservoir. Great views at the top. Can knock out 3 peaks in one hike!

This was a work out for me, you start off with .5 mile steep incline and glute work out but once you get up at wisdom tree it’s beautiful. This hike put a lot stress on my knees , I’ll bring poles next time. Lots of people the day I went.

Made an even bigger loop and went down the Hollywood view trail, good hike!

Be aware this trail does NOT take you to the front of the Hollywood sign. You will only get a view of the sign from the back. Misleading photos from people who posted the Hollywood sign.
The hike was just ok.

Love it

Amazing Hike. Doing the full loop is pretty difficult. Super down hill with loads of loose stones to slide on.

Steep hill, rocky, tough, but awesome!! Careful with snakes.

Great hike, I've done it 3 times already. and each time I forget how much incline there is. But the view at the end is worth it. Plenty of spots for a good picture.

This hike caught us a little off-guard. We were just a few days removed from hiking Angel's Landing in Utah and a few trails in Big Bend along the US-Mexico border. Compared to those two locales, we figured this would equate to a leisurely stroll.

Not entirely so.

There were a handful of factors we sold a bit short on this hike:

1. The Initial Climb: It pushes the casual hiker a little bit (that's us). I'm reading this trail climbs over 1,500 feet. I'm not sure I thought it was that much, but it was still a little bit of a grind right at the outset.

2. Sun Exposure: We should have known better, particularly considering our previous stops.There's virtually no shade on this hike aside from a respite at The Wisdom Tree. That means if you're doing this hike in midday Los Angeles in the summer, you could be looking at temperatures that feel like 100 degrees beaming down upon you for the duration. As always, bring more water than you think you'll need.

3. Dust & Traction: This was probably the dustiest hike we'd ever done. Subsequently, the dry dirt and loose rocks can make things feel a little unstable. Thankfully, I don't recall there being too many spots where a random slip was going to be particularly dangerous (don't think there's many exposed narrow ledges, if any). It was more of an annoyance for my hiking partner than anything else. As the trailer, she saw a pretty constant cloud of dust coming off my hiking shoes. We also both slipped a few times coming back down Cahuenga. They were mostly controlled slips, but it speaks to the terrain.

Basically, we planned on cruising up to the Hollywood Sign real quick but instead ended up with a great workout and pretty dirty shoes and clothes. Still a pretty swell hike. Also, The Wisdom Tree was fascinating.

This hike is very challenging for as many tourists and children as I saw on the trail. There is a significant amount of climbing and the terrain is dangerous. I recommend this for experienced hikers.

Turn left and take the long way up for great views of Forest lawn, Warner Bros Studios, and the LA river. There was no one else on this side of the loop on a Sunday afternoon so it was very peaceful.

I took the "Challenging" route... Around back... Not too bad... The views are awesome... You come across a few narrow paths or tight spaces but nice little hike...

It was a steep uphill climb. My friend barfed.

Great sunset hike!

Difficult, but not impossible

Difficult trail. Steep and rocky. I wouldn't do it again.

way too many loose rocks on trail. i slipped/fell 7 times and i've never fallen on a hike before/am in shape

Much shorter than I was expecting. The views from the wisdom tree are great on a clear day!