Cache Creek Ridge: Judge Davis Trailhead

Cache Creek Ridge: Judge Davis Trailhead is a 10 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Williams, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, birding, fishing, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,398 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I would not recommend this trail in the summer (75 +degrees). There is no shade and it's incredibly steep. There were placed where the trail had been destroyed by horses, and I can definitely see that being a problem if it's muddy.

I just want to quote my elevation gain stat, because it seems that on about 10 different blogs and websites, there are about .....ten.... different stats. So, today on my Geo Tracker app, it came out to 1778 feet total ascent. 5 stars on a nice Spring day, but it won't be as nice after daytime temperatures start getting up into the mid 80s.

great views, little shade, dirt but not muddy, somewhat cut up from horses.

Did an overnight the 3rd week of March. Good - beautiful, sunny in spring, lots of flat campsites at the end, plenty of water at the end Bad - trail is destroyed for hikers by horses We saw zero other people on Saturday and had the river bottom area to ourselves. There were a few hikers and a lot of horses on the way out. There were fresh bear prints from the previous night or that morning - it had rained about an inch the night before so they were easy to spot. A standard PCT bear hang kept our food OK. We never saw any bears. IMO this is more of a horse trail than a backpacker trail. It is hard to express the amount of horse and dog feces on this trail - it might sound like an exaggeration, but without a doubt there were horse and dog droppings all over at least 2.5 miles of this trail every 10 to 15 feet. You had to watch your step because it was in the middle of the trail. Some was fresh and some seemed to be a year or so old There were horse droppings everywhere on the river bottoms, so much that it made it hard to find a place to pitch your tent. The trail condition was poor, for two reasons. We took the cache creek ridge trail and connected to Judge Davis after 2 miles. The ridge trail was quite muddy - we had to share trekking poles to get up. On the way back, the Judge Davis section of that trail had been totally destroyed by horses. 3 to 8 inch pockets where horses had sunk sunken deep into the mud. The mud had since dried into a treacherous minefield of ankle twisting hell. Horrible for children or older hikers. Our group was all dudes in our early 30s and it was dangerous. The hike was beautiful, sunny and warm for early spring, mix of baja-like terrain and rolling oaks. However it is hard to set aside the feces and horse destruction. In the summer it would be too hot due to the lack of tree cover. There were surprisingly zero mosquitos the 3rd week of March.

Good workout.Not good for bad knees.it was warm last night and mosquitos was bad.it was an overnight backpacking trip.

great trail system

Monday, April 09, 2018

Fun and a great workout. Wear lots of sunscreen, it’s very exposed. I brought my 3 year old and he loved it but unless your kids are used to it I definitely wouldn’t as it gets very steep and challenging at points.

Friday, March 02, 2018

Very exposed trail – be aware during summer time – there is very little shade for most of the way, and only creek water. I didn’t have that much problem with hoof tracks – but horses do use this trail.

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Much of the trail is thrashed from horses. Wish I had worn boots instead of trail shoes. Start early so you have plenty of time to explore the creek and beat some of the heat. Very exposed to sun. Definitely challenging on the way back.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

I did this hike before going to work one spring day ( I did not realize I could wright a review or I would have done it on the day of the hike) ......let me just say this......It was a nice spring walk that I figured would not take me more than a few hrs to complete I was right but I did not figure on all the hills and valleys that I would be going up and down.....lol I paid for it that night at work....all in all it was a great trail well packed and not very rocky I did not see any elk that day nor for that mater any other animals although I am told there are some to be seen up there I guess you get luck when you get lucky....I did get to see awesome views and beautiful oaks. I would do it again maybe wait just a few more weeks and let the wild flowers be at top bloom. Happy Hiking!

Thursday, December 22, 2016