Buzzard's Roost Trail

Buzzard's Roost Trail is a 1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Friant, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 446 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Short and steep... good for a quick workout - with a rewarding view at the top. I assume it would be much nicer in the spring when things are green and the water is flowing in the creek/waterfall beside the trail near the start, but it was still nice in the fall.

Cool short trail. You will be climbing up very rapidly so be ready. 10 dollars to get in like everybody else said so maybe plan another hike in the same day. Trail was very clear. Maybe plan it later in the evening to look at the stars.

Pretty, though I’m guessing spring time would better as it seemed a bit dry. 6 and 4 yr old made it to the top. With $10 to get in, will definitely try to spend more time in Millerton next time.

Short but definitely a climb.

nice short hike. nice view of the lake and roads. your able to see towards Sky Harbour too.

great short hike. almost all uphill

I took my 2 boys ages 6 and 2.5. we made it all the way to the top and had a nice picnic overlooking the lake. My 6 year old did great, the 2.5 yr old needed a few breaks on the way up and help in a few places over rocks and steep parts. I definitely recommend it for the view! We all enjoyed it.

Great track, park across the road. Uphill most of the way. A few other tracks lead off the main, but always follow the path most used. We had great views in April, wonderful sightings of Turkey vultures and hawks, snow capped mountains and still had wild flowers blooming. Took my 10 year old niece and she did great too. (Less 1☆ for the $10 entrance fee to Millerton)

Very short trail. A lot of holes and so it makes it hard to walk. A lot of the plants have thorn so make sure you wear pants. A little steep and narrow but not too bad.

Easy hike with absolutely gorgeous views. Unlike pincushion, this trail has more mountainy, rocks, trees, grass for views. There’s also a tiny little waterfall you pass! Really beautiful. Recommended.

We took a shortv family hike up the trail. We almost missed the trail head. There is very little parking along the main road. We took our 4 children on the hike and our youngest who is 4 did super well. It's pretty steep most of the way up, but incredibly beautiful. We went today (March) and all the wildflowers were just breathtaking. If you're looking for a short hike, this is the one.

great views exspecially with all the rain we got waterfalls are gorgeous.

Went on this hike yesterday with my family, 2 grandchildren 5 & 8, it was fantastic! The falls were such a treat to see and explore. Once we got to the top, the views of the snow capped mountains and the lake were gorgeous! I recommend this hike, it was a little steep in some places, but worth the time. It took about 45 mins to an hour to get to the end of hike, that’s with stopping to exploring and snacks.

Great trail with fantastic views of millerton! Kids went along. I had a little bit of a hard time climbing up but took short breaks.

Not a bad trail. Was too easy and left us wanting more. The sad thing was there was no other trails on this side of the lake.

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Cant wait for cooler weather to do this one again. Got a lil freaked out by the rattlesnake sighting. but the views are wonderful!

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Entrance fee into Millerton Lake was $12 for Memorial Day. Nice view of the lake. It was very steep the whole time up. A lot of bushes and brush getting stuck in our socks and clothes. We did not complete the trail but still got a decent lookout view. There is no shade, we went at 9 am and it was very hot already. We also took an 8 and 6 year old. They fell a few times on the steep parts. I do not recommend for kids.

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Steep climb at first but one you reach the top it is well worth it.

Sunday, April 08, 2018

This is a good, short hike that offer some challenge because it is mostly uphill. It was somewhat overgrown in areas, so I would wear pants or long socks if that sort of thing bothers you. The view is pretty great! I enjoyed it. Very green and pretty right now in April. For your next challenge try pin cushion Peak.

Sunday, April 01, 2018

Easter Sunday, enjoying the beautiful weather and the view from the top of the trail.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

My first hike this year. Easy to get to. Easy to follow. I’m out of shape but I was still able to complete it. Beautiful views at the top. Always worth it. :)

Saturday, January 06, 2018

I hiked Buzzard's Roost last fall. It was an easy and beautiful hike. I am in my sixties, and friends with me were in their seventies. It was not a difficult hike for any of us. The terrain was fun and colorful. I admit we kept saying, "Are we getting closer?" many many times. I think we were just anxious to get to the top. The walk back seemed much shorter. I loved the view of the valley below. This is a wonderful place to spend an afternoon. I had so much fun. We actually ran into our son, daughter-in-law, and grandson on the trail. This was a total surprise, because we had not discussed going on the hike. I plan to hie again in the Spring. I want to experience it in different seasons. .

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Cool trail. Views of the lake the entire time. Definitely don't do in the summer and if you can try to be up there with the sunrise. Really Cool.

Friday, November 24, 2017

I hiked this trail on Thanksgiving day, 2017. The trail was well maintained and easy to follow for the most part. It is very steep in the beginning and at the end of the trail. The waterfall was dried up when I went, I'm going to come back during the spring to hopefully see that in action. I'd estimate my time up at about 45 minutes and about 20 minutes on the way down.

Monday, September 25, 2017

Fun with the family!

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Nice & Easy beautify scenery, fun

Monday, April 17, 2017

Beautiful scenery. great hike near some waterfalls.

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Was great. Can't wait to go again. Just MAKE SURE TO PACK BUG SPRAY!

Monday, April 03, 2017

Took about 45 minutes to get to the viewpoint. Beautiful greenery, flowers, mini waterfall and high overview of Millerton lake. Got a little warm with not much shade at parts of it, so early morning is best. A lot of steep uphill parts too so be careful if taking small children.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

I love this trail strenuous but not to long ..can get your daily workout in without taking all day. plus really pretty at the top of the hill