Buttermilk OHV Road

Buttermilk OHV Road is a 14.8 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Bishop, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking and off road driving and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 14.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,805 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

off road driving

This is not a very technical trail. In fact, I never put my Jeep in 4 wheel drive. However, the ever changing landscape, terrain, and incredible Sierra Nevada scenery and views more than made up for that. There are several small stream crossings, meadows, and lush green forested areas that are worth stopping to take several breaks. We were fortunate to have a few passing thunderstorms on this trip which made the adventure even more enjoyable.

off road driving

The scenery was amazing and made the trip well worth it. The first few miles have some washboard but the rest of the trail had a variety of scenery and terrain.

off road driving

Good moderate trail in August w areas to drive off of and hike or climb if you want to. My husband drove us and our three kids. We got out at a couple places to explore. We were driving a slightly lifted Jeep gladiator and our cousin drives it in his Tacoma. We are not well seasoned ORVers and our kids are still small (one drank two bottles on this drive) we really enjoyed it.

off road driving

Very scenic route. Easy with a mildly lifted Jk. lots of flowers & wildlife. Some narrow bushy areas. Did it twice, on different days, so I could stop and explore some of the many spur offshoots. Very interesting rock formations.

Moderate traffic, mostly campers and rock climbers. A foot of slushy snow on the trail about 5 miles in. Forest Rd 7S04 leads to a great view of Round Valley.

off road driving

December 2018 - Beautiful loop. Lots of snow, 4x4 highly recommended. Some areas are tight and lots of branches. Jeeps are okay but Ford Raptors might get some scratches.

rock climbing

The drive is beautiful and there’s some great climbing rocks along the way I only did the first half after the climbing rocks in the road very nice and easy for a car to drive on.

4x4 is absolutely required for full round trip. General SUV was only fine till rock climbing area.

Wednesday, May 09, 2018

So good!!!! Loved every minute of it!

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Always a blast out here with the boyfriend and our kiddos. We tend to always go back and take off on a new dirt road each time.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Road was dirt but not bad at all, I don't even think you would need 4X4. BEAUTIFUL VIEWS! We saw deer. Very peaceful. :)

Saturday, May 10, 2008

The views from this trail were great. Everything else about it was disappointing. The "trail" is a 2-track road with washboarded sand, at about 5% grade. The small section off the road listed in this trail guide is not maintained and now completely overgrown with roses. Ouch. So, I had to ride back down the rocky washboards all the way back to my car. I have never been so beaten up after a ride, or so happy to be back on pavement! But, I saw lots of interesting flora and fauna, and took some great landscape photos.

recorded Buttermilk OHV Road