Buttermilk Bend Trail

Buttermilk Bend Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Penn Valley, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Mostly flat with side trails down to the river.

I highly reccomend hiking this after the rains the trail does not get muddy and it is nice to see the river running fast.It is a very safe trail during the winter months since you are a safe distance from the river but still have the views.

Awesome trail can walk down to the river pretty chill!

Enjoyable, easy trail alongside the Yuba River. Lots opportunities to climb down to the river for a swim.

We hiked this trail on 6-30-17 and loved being near the river easy level trail with some steep drop offs

This is a pretty awesome place to hike. It is a super easy hike for kids and not too many people on the trail on either a Saturday or Sunday. There are about 5 or 6 off trails that lead you down to the river that is just roaring at this time. You can see the amazing rainbow fish swimming upstream even through all that force of water going against them. The only thing I would say is bring bug spray. There are quite a bit of mosquitoes out, and a bit of Poison Oak, which honestly I feel is at any hiking trail at this time of year. We've been about 3 times and will keep going back.

Beautiful vistas along this trail above the South Yuba River. Very pleasant easy to walk with some access to the river near the end of the hike.

First time here, walk was easy. The views were exceptional. Cannot wait to go back!

An easy hike that was clearly marked and my child appreciated the many benches along the trail. The views of the river were beautiful and I recommend taking some of the side trails towards the river.

I went hiking with the dog in the rain here today and found it to be a very enjoyable walk. Very scenic views of the river. Nice, clear paths with cute sign reminders here and there not to pick wildflowers or leave your dog unleashed. (However with the quick drop off on the side of the path, I wouldn't ever risk leaving my dog off leash on this particular path since she is distracted easily and would probably go over the side if a stray butterfly flitted that way.)

As much as I was enjoying the hike, there was a point I simply had to turn around as the very clear path started getting extremely muddy and squishy, especially since my dog is on the smaller side and close to the ground, but I was also slipping around too. Without a guard from the drop in places, it just wasn't safe enough for me to continue with my pet. There was a couple up ahead of me (only people I saw besides the rangers in the hut when I parked) and it seemed it wasnt getting less muddy, but I'll be back when it's a bit drier. There was no one on the path on the way back.

Lots of natural stone benches to sit on, scenic view points of the river and pretty bridges over smaller brooks.

Beautiful spot with tons to see! you can walk down to the river to see the Covered Bridge which was swarming with swallows and butterflies today, or hike the trail with beautiful views of the river and landscape. The wildflowers are even marked so you know which flower species you are looking at. There were nice little benches along the way to stop and just take in the scenery. We loved this hike and area!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Not a bad walk at all. Great views of the Yuba River with easy access to the river if desired. Lots of shady spots to stop with benches if you need to. Only bad thing was nobody seems to know how to pick up there dogs poop. Great trail other than that.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Great place to ask your lover to marry you!

Thursday, August 18, 2016

I walked this trail in the spring with my husband who has a bad back and has to rest frequently. The trail had a lot of benches so he could sit and rest. The wildflowers were incredible. A very nice trail.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Ok

Friday, July 15, 2016

The hike was easy. The river was beautiful and this is a great swimming and river relaxation spot. I will be going back to hangout for the day!

Sunday, July 10, 2016

decent trail. well kept. nothing spectacular about it though. easy enough and plenty of spots to go down to the river and cool off.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Easy hike. Ends where you can take a fairly easy hike down to river edge. Beautiful area. Loved the sound of river as we relaxed near water.

Friday, May 20, 2016

great, short, easy hike.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Went here for the first time with a new friend and I loved it!! Great views of the river bend and a great spot for a picnic! We even brought our babies and they loved it too. Not stroller friendly. We used baby carriers.