Buttermilk Bend Trail

Buttermilk Bend Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Penn Valley, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Mostly flat with side trails down to the river.

Enjoyable, easy trail alongside the Yuba River. Lots opportunities to climb down to the river for a swim.

We hiked this trail on 6-30-17 and loved being near the river easy level trail with some steep drop offs

This is a pretty awesome place to hike. It is a super easy hike for kids and not too many people on the trail on either a Saturday or Sunday. There are about 5 or 6 off trails that lead you down to the river that is just roaring at this time. You can see the amazing rainbow fish swimming upstream even through all that force of water going against them. The only thing I would say is bring bug spray. There are quite a bit of mosquitoes out, and a bit of Poison Oak, which honestly I feel is at any hiking trail at this time of year. We've been about 3 times and will keep going back.

Beautiful vistas along this trail above the South Yuba River. Very pleasant easy to walk with some access to the river near the end of the hike.

First time here, walk was easy. The views were exceptional. Cannot wait to go back!

An easy hike that was clearly marked and my child appreciated the many benches along the trail. The views of the river were beautiful and I recommend taking some of the side trails towards the river.

I went hiking with the dog in the rain here today and found it to be a very enjoyable walk. Very scenic views of the river. Nice, clear paths with cute sign reminders here and there not to pick wildflowers or leave your dog unleashed. (However with the quick drop off on the side of the path, I wouldn't ever risk leaving my dog off leash on this particular path since she is distracted easily and would probably go over the side if a stray butterfly flitted that way.)

As much as I was enjoying the hike, there was a point I simply had to turn around as the very clear path started getting extremely muddy and squishy, especially since my dog is on the smaller side and close to the ground, but I was also slipping around too. Without a guard from the drop in places, it just wasn't safe enough for me to continue with my pet. There was a couple up ahead of me (only people I saw besides the rangers in the hut when I parked) and it seemed it wasnt getting less muddy, but I'll be back when it's a bit drier. There was no one on the path on the way back.

Lots of natural stone benches to sit on, scenic view points of the river and pretty bridges over smaller brooks.