Buttermilk Bend Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Penn Valley, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Mostly flat with side trails down to the river. There is a $5 day use fee for this park.

More commonly called Bridgeport. Not a great trail for small children. I have a 4 year old and it’s a somewhat narrow trail for a child. If I was alone, I would rate it 5 stars. Lots of trails down to the beautiful water to swim. Very crowded in summer towards the trailhead, the further you go, the more peaceful it gets.

A beautiful walk any time of year, but absolutely gorgeous in spring when the wild flowers are in bloom. Mostly flat, wide trail (unless you choose to go down to one of the swimming spots on the river). It's a popular trail for good reason!

Good birthday hike and first one since having children (youngest just turned one). Bring enough water! Shady spots to rest in here and there, and plenty of benches to sit on. Beautiful and deep swimming holes, although we didn’t swim this time. A bit rocky along trail in places, but nothing a couple of 72-year-olds and 3-4-year-olds couldn’t navigate.

Great little trail. Easy to access and plenty of parking when I arrived at 8 am. Most of the trail is flat and unchallenging. I would imagine it’s beautiful in Spring when everything is green. Would go back for sure.

Short survey walk of South Yuba River State Park. Very little access to river bank. Flat, wide, almost ADA compliant.

We parked close to the covered bridge to go swimming in the Yuba River. It was such a nice area with sand and the water was the perfect temp and not too deep. There where people here but not too many. It’s such a pretty area! We will be back for sure! There’s walking trails near by so next time we will do some trails and end with swimming in the river! 

We hiked this Memorial Day weekend. The flowers were still blooming, the water was amazing and we had such an enjoyable time.

Easy , great views of the river, $10 parking fee

Beautiful hike, great scenic views of Yuba river. Easy walk with plenty of places to sit down and rest, very slightly up and downs.

Too crowded!

pretty trail following the river. Wildflowers are beautiful and are labelled along the way
Nice walk!!

Great view of the river, and especially nice when the wildflowers are blooming in the spring and the river runs turquoise.

It’s especially pretty in spring but it is also busy! Easy and fun for kids. There is a spot to stop and play in the stream that is safe and lots of critters in it for kids to check out.

very nice wide trail. easy walk.. excellent views of river.. wild flowers lots of butterflies.. dog friendly.. nice waterfall surprise. 5 dollars to park

love this trail. lots of beautiful flowers and amazing river

Easy trail and loads of great views

I highly reccomend hiking this after the rains the trail does not get muddy and it is nice to see the river running fast.It is a very safe trail during the winter months since you are a safe distance from the river but still have the views.

Monday, November 13, 2017

Awesome trail can walk down to the river pretty chill!

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Enjoyable, easy trail alongside the Yuba River. Lots opportunities to climb down to the river for a swim.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

Friday, June 30, 2017

We hiked this trail on 6-30-17 and loved being near the river easy level trail with some steep drop offs

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

This is a pretty awesome place to hike. It is a super easy hike for kids and not too many people on the trail on either a Saturday or Sunday. There are about 5 or 6 off trails that lead you down to the river that is just roaring at this time. You can see the amazing rainbow fish swimming upstream even through all that force of water going against them. The only thing I would say is bring bug spray. There are quite a bit of mosquitoes out, and a bit of Poison Oak, which honestly I feel is at any hiking trail at this time of year. We've been about 3 times and will keep going back.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Beautiful vistas along this trail above the South Yuba River. Very pleasant easy to walk with some access to the river near the end of the hike.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

First time here, walk was easy. The views were exceptional. Cannot wait to go back!

Monday, April 24, 2017

An easy hike that was clearly marked and my child appreciated the many benches along the trail. The views of the river were beautiful and I recommend taking some of the side trails towards the river.

Monday, April 17, 2017

I went hiking with the dog in the rain here today and found it to be a very enjoyable walk. Very scenic views of the river. Nice, clear paths with cute sign reminders here and there not to pick wildflowers or leave your dog unleashed. (However with the quick drop off on the side of the path, I wouldn't ever risk leaving my dog off leash on this particular path since she is distracted easily and would probably go over the side if a stray butterfly flitted that way.)

As much as I was enjoying the hike, there was a point I simply had to turn around as the very clear path started getting extremely muddy and squishy, especially since my dog is on the smaller side and close to the ground, but I was also slipping around too. Without a guard from the drop in places, it just wasn't safe enough for me to continue with my pet. There was a couple up ahead of me (only people I saw besides the rangers in the hut when I parked) and it seemed it wasnt getting less muddy, but I'll be back when it's a bit drier. There was no one on the path on the way back.

Lots of natural stone benches to sit on, scenic view points of the river and pretty bridges over smaller brooks.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Beautiful spot with tons to see! you can walk down to the river to see the Covered Bridge which was swarming with swallows and butterflies today, or hike the trail with beautiful views of the river and landscape. The wildflowers are even marked so you know which flower species you are looking at. There were nice little benches along the way to stop and just take in the scenery. We loved this hike and area!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Not a bad walk at all. Great views of the Yuba River with easy access to the river if desired. Lots of shady spots to stop with benches if you need to. Only bad thing was nobody seems to know how to pick up there dogs poop. Great trail other than that.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Great place to ask your lover to marry you!