Butler Peak Trail is a 16.1 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Big Bear City, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, mountain biking, and backpacking and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 16.1 km Elevation Gain: 467 m Route Type: Out & Back

As of February 2020, the gate to enter for parking is closed. Winter Closure: Forest Service Roads 2N13 and 2N13B are part of the inventory of Annual Winter Road Closures on the Mountaintop Ranger District and are CLOSED annually every winter when there is snow accumulation. Once the roads are closed, they remain closed until spring to mitigate road damage. If you're off-road driving this route, it is rated Easy. If you are hiking or mountain biking up, it is somewhere between Moderate and Hard. There is a small parking area at the top. From this parking area there is a 1/8 mile hike up to the lookout tower.

Road all the way to the top

A fantastic 10 miles hike Fantastic view Clear road All the way The road is wide So no snacks hiding inside the bushes. You can take some side trials

Trail is nice and wide with a few springs/creeks. View from fire lookout post is great you can see high desert, San Bernardino, Big Bear and Arrowhead Lakes. A little snow

Awesome views just a service road up but the fire lookout up here is all time and looks like it’s teadering on the top of the mountain and at night you really can see everyone’s camp fires

Great views from the top. Still a ton of snow on slope just below the peak.

One of my favorites. Although it was hot, there was still a lot of snow on the trail about 3.5 miles into the hike. We ended up turning back because the snow was knee deep in some parts and we weren't prepared for that. Tiny creek crossings, the first one is a little wide (about ankle deep) you may run across it or there is a log off to the side to cross. Some parts of the trail are washed out from melted snow, causing you to cross through or jump over water; but it is still clear where the trail is. A lot of tiny bugs, bring bug repellent!

closed

closed

Awesome trail. The gate to enter for parking is closed but I parked right outside of it. There is still snow throughout the majority of the trail. No snow boots needed. It was doable with trail runners. Greta view

Snowshoes & poles were needed from the turn off around the halfway point, it was snowing while we were hiking up. Killer views from the tower!

Loved this trail! Lots of places where we walked through ankle to knee deep snow, but it was do-able.

icy

My star rating is solely based on my dislike of downgrading a trail I've not fully seen. Attempted to make this peak yesterday with my dog. The first few miles were alright. Then I ended up knee deep in snow drifts. When my dog sank through the snow we turned around. Just a heads up, if you plan on making this peak right now, bring your snowshoes and leave your furry friend at home.

I hiked this trail yesterday morning. Got there around 6:45 and got back to my car at around 11 so it was pretty much a two hour hike going up towards the lookout and an hour and half going back. When I first started hiking I saw a few deer mostly on my left side. They were so beautiful but at the same time I was a bit nervous because there might something else along the trail (good thing I didn’t). Yes it is a moderate hike, it’s not too strenuous. Some inclines here and there but not too bad. I sort of stuck when I got to the fork. There were two Road Closed gates. I didn’t know which one to go to since there were no signs indicating the Peak trail. Go to your left to get to the lookout. Not sure where the other trail leads to. You’ll be out in the sun for about 15 min or so before you start to climb on rocks to get to the lookout. It’s a beautiful view from the top, just a bit windy but overall worth the hike. My only main concern about this hike that no one was hiking on this trail... nobody. Went back to my car at around 11 saw no one. So basically I was hiking this trail all by myself. It’s a beautiful hike but the only one that I felt nervous about.

flooded

Good hike in the fall but can’t imagine this hike in the summer. Completely exposed with very minimal shade. Amazing views at the top.

Slightly monotonous hike, but fantastic vistas at the top.