Learn more

Burstarse Falls via PCT from Dog Trailhead

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(105)
Shasta-Trinity National Forest

Burstarse Falls via PCT from Dog Trailhead is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Castella, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,099 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Amazing trail! My off-leash dog (Brittany spaniel) and I ran down to the small waterfall and had the place to ourselves to have a drink and cool off in the beautiful water. Beginning was tough but after the no-shades, rocky ascent, the trail is nice and shaded and great for trail running

As others say, the first half mile (Dog Trail) is the steepest part. The PCT wasn't bad at all, and mostly shaded. We passed Popcorn Spring, which had more water than Burstarse Creek did... crossed over Burstarse and did not see the trail others have alluded to to follow the creek to the falls. I don't like trampling off trail, so we just continued on the PCT. The next section up to Ugly Creek had some great views of the Crags. At the switchback, no falls to be seen in late June. Probably quite beautiful earlier in the year, but this was still a great 8ish mile hike with shade, wildflowers, and cool views of the Crags.

Great trail for those seeking a little scramble along the way. Two waterfalls (one small , one larger ) took my poles which helped my knees on the way down. Took our dog and he helped us find our way as we went off trail to get to waterfalls a little faster .

Beautiful trail and fun scramble up to the falls. There’s a lower, middle, and upper falls. It can be a busy trail on the weekends.

Awesome trail! We didn’t walk up far enough to see the falls! They are over 3 miles in one way. The shaded areas are beautiful! We seen 2 snakes, one was a rattler right on the trail. We heard the rattle and ran through there. Be careful!

Clear trail, lots of parking. Nice hike. Cool waterfalls.

Hard for me initially because of the rocky climb and direct sunlight/heat, but hiding in the shade of the forest after the first mile or so made it much more pleasant. Trail was slightly narrow and steep at times but it felt safe and well maintained for the most part. It is sprinkled with sights of the mountains and pretty creeks. The trail ends when you see the peaks (according to the map), but we went ahead another quarter mile to a creek that had a lovely panoramic view of everything. I’m pretty sure a little lizard was trying to pick a fight with me by pumping his adorable half inch biceps. I was okay with this. Oh, and a snake jumped out and whipped itself into a bush when my companion unknowingly walked near him. What I’m trying to say is: I enjoyed this trail.

We made this hike into a 2 night easy backpacking trip. Spent both nights at the undeveloped (aside from an existing fire ring) campsite by Burstarse Creek. Hike here was relatively easy. Took quick dip in the creek on the first day but water was quite cold (it was May 1st). Continued hiking about 1.5 miles on PCT the next day. Nice views, and then other dispersed campsites at Disappearing Creek. Also explored Burstarse Falls. One way to get to the top is via a small trail the first time you cross the creek. Alternate way is to climb the pct up higher until the switchback and then cut back to Burstarse creek there. You’ll know when you reach the main falls because the water drops from super high (100+ feet?) Nice trail, easily accessible from the 5. A great trip!

First half mile exposed and uphill then level through forest most of the way once you hit the pct. Lovely peek a boo views of snow capped peaks throughout. Dogwoods in bloom right now. Go right along a less well marked trail when you hit burstarse creek to get to the waterfall. Hike up another half mile past burstarse creek for best views of the crags.

Such a beautiful spring hike. Continued along the PCT for an additional 4 miles for more vast granite views.

My friend and I drove 3 1/2 hours for this hike. We had a great time and neither one of us regret driving that far just to hike. Make sure in the summertime you do bring a lot of water there are points where there is no shade. The waterfall is gorgeous!!! Also, starting inward is mostly up hill so a good stretch of the legs could be good! I wish I would have packed a small lunch so I could have ate lunch in front of the waterfall, next time! 4/18/2020

Views are metal af! Steep, rocky start but relatively flat and easy on the PCT. Dog friendly, but ended up with hella ticks :-(. Overall, a fun and approachable hike. Pups allowed :-)

Dog friendly, surprisingly busy, narrow at parts

It was cool. Very little water. a couple great views of Castle Crags. One plus, because there was so few people, there is plenty of time to knock one out with your significant other. Enjoy!

It’s says the trail is hard, but the toughest part was the dog trail up to the pct. Once when you reach the stream, you can see a little fall, but the really falls is further up stream. From there the “trail” is rough since it’s mostly people bush whacking up stream. But it’s worth it off the falls are running. It’s early spring now so you can watch the water cascading off the tall rock cliff down. It’s very beautiful up the in the rocky canyon with the waterfall.

There’s NO waterfall at this point of the year. We went there two weeks ago and the weather was amazing, the only one in the trail, but no water :( I’m hopping to get to go in other season to appreciate its full prettiness :)

Normally, this might be a great trail but today it was. 2-3. No water so no waterfall and eye bugs/gnats like crazy—the whole way. We started around 9am and had shade for most of the way. Best part was crossing the road from the parking area and cooling off in the creek. We’ve been before when the falls were full and fewer bugs so we know it’s worth the hike.

This was a great hike. It felt longer than 5 miles but that could have been because we took lots of little stops along the way. We met a few PCT hikers and a couple of dogs. Two things to note...the mosquitoes were really bad, so you will probably want to pack netting and at this time of year, the falls were non-existent. PS I lost a silver earring near the trailhead by the quart, if anyone finds it, please message me. Thanks and Happy trails!

Definitely a moderate trail. Mostly climbing all the way to falls. Beautiful scenery along the way. Presented with lower falls at trail. You’ll need to scramble up the lower falls to reach the upper, that could be tricky for some people.